• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 14 A4(a)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Schilke 14 A4(a) Reply with quote

From many posts Iīve got the impression that this mouthpiece is considered somewhat "difficult". As I own both variants myself Iīve found out the hard way that I just canīt use them. But never really understood why. The alfa angle is high - that much I gathered -but are there any other pecularities??
Just out of pure curiosity it would be nice to know your thoughts - maybe something to learn from discussing it??
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14 A4(a) Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
From many posts Iīve got the impression that this mouthpiece is considered somewhat "difficult". As I own both variants myself Iīve found out the hard way that I just canīt use them. But never really understood why. The alfa angle is high - that much I gathered -but are there any other pecularities??
Just out of pure curiosity it would be nice to know your thoughts - maybe something to learn from discussing it??

The back-bore on the 14A is usually tight. Usually about a :28. Which Ive never understood the need for in a shallow mouthpiece. As by cutting the mouthpiece shallower? This automatically makes it project more easily. So the use of a tight throat on a tight back-bore is over-kill.

Instead of the 14a4a? Use the14a. This has the stsndard 14a cup with high alpha angle. That and an average or "C" type throat/ back-bore.

In fact Buy Two of them! Buy two Schilke 14A's. This way you can have the throat/back-bore opened up even some more. Then carve off even more material later. In order to truly dial it in.

You can get a truly big tone on the 14A by experimenting with throat/back-bore customization. My recommendatioln on the 14A is a #22 throat. Although you'll probably need to adjust the back-bore yoo. As the opening of any throat also makes the throat too long. That produces a flat upper register.

A more open throat must also be modified to return the length of the throat to as short as possible.

The high alpha angle on all Schilke "a4a" series mouthpieces aids in performing lip smears. But its a delicate touch. As unless you have a lot of experience with the delicate touch of the high alpha angle? You'll have difficulty hammering notes out perfectly on pitch.

Both the ahallow and large mouthpieces require an experienced and strong trumpet player.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14 A4(a) Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

The back-bore on the 14A is usually tight. Usually about a :28. Which Ive never understood the need for in a shallow mouthpiece. As by cutting the mouthpiece shallower? This automatically makes it project more easily. So the use of a tight throat on a tight back-bore is over-kill.

Instead of the 14a4a? Use the14a. This has the stsndard 14a cup with high alpha angle. That and an average or "C" type throat/ back-bore.

In fact Buy Two of them! Buy two Schilke 14A's. This way you can have the throat/back-bore opened up even some more. Then carve off even more material later. In order to truly dial it in.

You can get a truly big tone on the 14A by experimenting with throat/back-bore customization. My recommendatioln on the 14A is a #22 throat. Although you'll probably need to adjust the back-bore yoo. As the opening of any throat also makes the throat too long. That produces a flat upper register.

A more open throat must also be modified to return the length of the throat to as short as possible.

The high alpha angle on all Schilke "a4a" series mouthpieces aids in performing lip smears. But its a delicate touch. As unless you have a lot of experience with the delicate touch of the high alpha angle? You'll have difficulty hammering notes out perfectly on pitch.

Both the ahallow and large mouthpieces require an experienced and strong trumpet player.

I wouldnīt say its the "largeness" of the piece that bothers me. I played a
Bach 1 1/4 most of my life - remember!?! I have the 14 A4 which is "standard C backbore which offers a more open feel", 4 stands for semiflat rim and that one may bother me (as did the 15A4); I even possess a 14 D3D (custom made by Schilke)which is a standard rim, standard backbore but deeper cup. But - my Wick Ultra 7 C provides a much fuller and richer sound but is of course not suited for lead.
The tight backbore on 14A4 a was a "hindrance" - I do not suffer from lack of air so it become another complication. On the safari.
Nope something else makes me not fancy this piece. As you point out high alfa angles tend to "smear" oneīs chops so thatīs one factor.
Your recommendations are insteresting - pointing to customizing oneīs mpc.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years back, I had a conversation with the man the mouthpiece was designed for, Forrest Buchtell.
He told me it was designed for one thing - for him to play loud above the staff for hours and it wasn't designed for everybody. Most cannot play it.
You've got to keep your upper lip from bottoming and most amateurs simply don't have the chops to do so.
Over the years, Schilke has made subtle changes so more players may be able to make use of it. My 14A4a is at least 47 years old and is very different from new ones. I once could play it fairly well, but now I keep it as a memory of the past. Same with the old Schilke 19 I have.
R. Tomasek
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Some years back, I had a conversation with the man the mouthpiece was designed for, Forrest Buchtell.
He told me it was designed for one thing - for him to play loud above the staff for hours and it wasn't designed for everybody. Most cannot play it.
You've got to keep your upper lip from bottoming and most amateurs simply don't have the chops to do so.
Over the years, Schilke has made subtle changes so more players may be able to make use of it. My 14A4a is at least 47 years old and is very different from new ones. I once could play it fairly well, but now I keep it as a memory of the past. Same with the old Schilke 19 I have.
R. Tomasek

Thanks - that was interesting. And...of course I am, if not an simple amateur so a complicated one could be that my lip bottoms without me noticing it. Having played since 1958 my career hasnīt just begun maybe my lips ainīt what they used to be. On the other hand I have no problems with endurance at all, in the brass band or lead but then again I use a V - cup with my cornet - hence also my post the other day about lead playing and V-cups. So yes, bottoming might be the main reason. Also a subtle, not to say subconscious message from my face pointing to V - cups as a possible solution. Got some interesting tips the other day on this marvellous forum! Thanks again - made me really think!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning what Lionel wrote, the 14A has a different (narrower, more rounded) rim than the 14A4A. If one wants the rim and cup of the 14A4a but with a larger (normal size) backbore, the mouthpiece to order is the 14A4 which has the wider 4 rim that the 14A4A has (but comes with a larger, normal size backbore).

Schilke mouthpiece nomenclature using the 14A4A as an example:
14: Cup diameter
A: Cup Depth (the C cup is the normal depth and is usually is not mentioned in the model designation if the mouthpiece has this stock cup depth)
4: Non-stock (wider) rim (the 3 is Schilke's stock rim and if that rim is on a mouthpiece, the number normally is omitted)
A: Ridiculously tight backbore (the C backbore is the normal size and again, it us usually not mention in the model designation if it is the one on a certain mouthpiece).

I bought my first 14A4A new in about 1977. I actually could play it reasonably well (in the mind and ears of a 16 year old anyway - in reality I had a pretty harsh sound with it). When I was first in contact with Claude Gordon and he asked me what mouthpiece I played on, I told him, "A Schilke 14A4A." In his gruff Montana voice, he replied, "I want you to take that mouthpiece in your back yard and bury it!" In hindsight, it would have probably been a good idea (who was to know that something called eBay would eventually come along). I followed Claude's advice (figuratively) and went back to normal mouthpieces (Schilke 14, Bach 1-1/2C, eventually a custom made slightly shallower version of a 1-1/2C) and I think that, along with studying with Claude share the main responsibilities for my having a successful playing career.

Around 12 years ago I made a second safari to the land of high alpha angles and bought two Schilke mouthpieces, a 14A4A and a 14A4. I figured the 14A4 would probably work better for me given that I have always played mouthpieces that tend to have larger throats and backbores. I was wrong. While neither mouthpiece worked out, my lips bottomed out in the cup of the 14A4 much easier than the 14A4A even though the cups were identical. Clearly, the more open backbore was the culprit. Basically, with the 14A4A I could get about 3 glorious minutes of the loudest High C through High F notes I've ever played - and then PFFFFFFFFF (airballs). Also, my top notes (at the time G through about Double High D became unobtainium. With the 14A4 the glory was cut to about 30 seconds. Hopefully these mouthpieces are not ruining the playing and potential careers of those I sold them to through eBay.

YMMV, but I doubt it will.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Concerning what Lionel wrote, the 14A has a different (narrower, more rounded) rim than the 14A4A. If one wants the rim and cup of the 14A4a but with a larger (normal size) backbore, the mouthpiece to order is the 14A4 which has the wider 4 rim that the 14A4A has (but comes with a larger, normal size backbore).

Schilke mouthpiece nomenclature using the 14A4A as an example:
14: Cup diameter
A: Cup Depth (the C cup is the normal depth and is usually is not mentioned in the model designation if the mouthpiece has this stock cup depth)
4: Non-stock (wider) rim (the 3 is Schilke's stock rim and if that rim is on a mouthpiece, the number normally is omitted)
A: Ridiculously tight backbore (the C backbore is the normal size and again, it us usually not mention in the model designation if it is the one on a certain mouthpiece).

I bought my first 14A4A new in about 1977. I actually could play it reasonably well (in the mind and ears of a 16 year old anyway - in reality I had a pretty harsh sound with it). When I was first in contact with Claude Gordon and he asked me what mouthpiece I played on, I told him, "A Schilke 14A4A." In his gruff Montana voice, he replied, "I want you to take that mouthpiece in your back yard and bury it!" In hindsight, it would have probably been a good idea (who was to know that something called eBay would eventually come along). I followed Claude's advice (figuratively) and went back to normal mouthpieces (Schilke 14, Bach 1-1/2C, eventually a custom made slightly shallower version of a 1-1/2C) and I think that, along with studying with Claude share the main responsibilities for my having a successful playing career.

Around 12 years ago I made a second safari to the land of high alpha angles and bought two Schilke mouthpieces, a 14A4A and a 14A4. I figured the 14A4 would probably work better for me given that I have always played mouthpieces that tend to have larger throats and backbores. I was wrong. While neither mouthpiece worked out, my lips bottomed out in the cup of the 14A4 much easier than the 14A4A even though the cups were identical. Clearly, the more open backbore was the culprit. Basically, with the 14A4A I could get about 3 glorious minutes of the loudest High C through High F notes I've ever played - and then PFFFFFFFFF (airballs). Also, my top notes (at the time G through about Double High D became unobtainium. With the 14A4 the glory was cut to about 30 seconds. Hopefully these mouthpieces are not ruining the playing and potential careers of those I sold them to through eBay.

YMMV, but I doubt it will.

Cheers,

John Mohan

Oh sole mio and so are you oh! Good to know Thanks!
Yes, it seems to be the bottoming - with the A4a I felt almost choked.
S14 I can use. Hmm! Played remarkably well the other year on the funeral of a dear friend with that one. Solo+piano (Fly as a bird + Come Sunday). But the Wick V cup beats it.
When summerīs over I will look for the V - cups recommended to me!
Might be that somewhere deep my lips have figured out that a cup like that could be just fine. During extremely many years I used Bach 1 1/4 for legit&lead but then of course I was much younger. Free blowing piece.
So: for me a round rim, V cup medium to shallow, standard backbore should do it. Iīll find out. Eventually.
Maybe these few posts have shed light upon the "insufferable difficulty" of the S14A4(a)??
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that thought they share the same cup diameter number size, for all intents and purposes the Schilke 14 is bigger in diameter than the 14A4A (due in large part to the alpha angle difference). The Schilke 14 is actually Schilke's version of a Bach 1-1/2C.

https://s25.postimg.org/lvbz16jin/Schilke_14_red_vs_14_A4_A_green.jpg
Schilke 14 (red) vs 14A4A (green)

https://s25.postimg.org/5yd74gr4f/Schilke_14_red_vs_Bach_1.5_C_green.jpg
Schilke 14 (red) vs Bach 1.5C (green)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Note that thought they share the same cup diameter number size, the Schilke 14 is bigger in diameter than the 14A4A (due in large part to the alpha angle difference). The Schilke 14 is actually Schilke's version of a Bach 1-1/2C.

Makes sense - thanks - īcause eventually I found the S14 too "nasal" for my taste. Way back in the eigthies and early nineties I played the soprano (Eb) part in our Brass band and that I did on a Bach 1 1/2; never able to play higher than B in concerts though, on the soprano. The 1 1/4 was for "solocornet" work, and trumpet, all kinds of work. Today C so my chops did develop! Very much aided by Wick V cup!
Its a bl-y jungle out there in mouthpiece world!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we're on the topic of "alpha angles" of common pieces... there's a chap that's written up a page where he calculates the alpha angles from the comparator, which you can find: here.

There are a couple of disclaimers to that...
1) The alpha's are calculated for only for the specific scans - if the scan differs from your example of the mouthpiece, the alpha written on that page won't be for your mouthpiece.
2) Before being aware of that page, I attempted to calculate a few myself and the numbers I got were the same as his... so either we're both reading the GR site correctly to get that, or neither of us are.

As you'll see - based on the scan Kanstul has, he calculated the 14a4 to have a 27 degree alpha angle.... which is really very high.

Anyway, whilst we're on the topic of correcting Lionel's misinformation... the 28 he refers to wouldn't be the backbore (which in the 14a4a the backbore is the 2nd letter, so it's the "a" backbore) but even if he'd correctly written "throat" (which 28 could refer to), the Schilke 14a4 series (14a4a, 14a4, 14a4x) are all listed as 27 throats.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
As we're on the topic of "alpha angles" of common pieces... there's a chap that's written up a page where he calculates the alpha angles from the comparator, which you can find: here.

There are a couple of disclaimers to that...
1) The alpha's are calculated for only for the specific scans - if the scan differs from your example of the mouthpiece, the alpha written on that page won't be for your mouthpiece.
2) Before being aware of that page, I attempted to calculate a few myself and the numbers I got were the same as his... so either we're both reading the GR site correctly to get that, or neither of us are.

As you'll see - based on the scan Kanstul has, he calculated the 14a4 to have a 27 degree alpha angle.... which is really very high.

Anyway, whilst we're on the topic of correcting Lionel's misinformation... the 28 he refers to wouldn't be the backbore (which in the 14a4a the backbore is the 2nd letter, so it's the "a" backbore) but even if he'd correctly written "throat" (which 28 could refer to), the Schilke 14a4 series (14a4a, 14a4, 14a4x) are all listed as 27 throats.

Oh dear! Yes I visited that site (Michael Camilleri) just about when I joined the TH. Never even thought of alpha angles before that; however I found his words:"Schilke makes the hugely popular 14a4a mouthpiece, and the a4 range. These are nearly all artist models, so have a strange array of rim profiles and alpha angles, and the size on the face does not always follow the nominal size (the 13a4 is particularly tight). You can see that the alpha angles of the a4 range mouthpieces are very high – ranging from 20-27°. That is simply too high for most players, especially the 13a4 and 14a4, which are the most commonly used" - helpful. As JM points out above, higher angle shrinks the diameter, sort of.
So tight backbore and high alpha angle two important factors. That much can be said with certainty
Rewarding to discuss things that donīt work, elucidate the roots. Thanks for chiming in.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louie2802

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience I found the 14a4a and easier blow than some of the other lead pieces such as the Narcinkiewicz Shew.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is of course different, but back in 1973, before I really knew anything about alpha angles, throats and backbores (sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?), I tried one for lead in my college jazz band, in part because my "legit" mpce was a Schilke 15. Forest Buchtel Sr. was a professor at my college, and "Larry" (which is what Sr. called Jr.) would stop by the school on occasion, though I don't recall him discussing the 14a4a.
But I thought hey, a 14a4a is just a shallower 15, right? (Not). It worked well for me, for both jazz band and wedding band gigs, and 44 years later I still can use it, though I prefer a GR these days.

Just another example of one size certainly not fitting all.....which is what I wish some (I did say SOME!) band directors would realize when they decree that every kid needs to use a Bach 3C, all making that switch as a group at the same time.🙄

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: