• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dixieland Solos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Dixieland Solos Reply with quote

What's the usual practice on Dixieland solos - solo over the whole form or just the chorus?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no rules, Jim. Depends on the song and the player. Standard is the chorus (by the book). But really, start the song with the chorus, flip the order, add in a improv section, play with it, make it interesting, don't sound like every other band. Have fun.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence: I just happened to see this video a few week's ago. It's about collective improvisation in New Orleans jazz. Not exactly your question, but it should give you some good ideas.

Link

Piccolo Stomvi
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jim- You run the band: You make the "rules"...
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simplicity and consistency, if you're just starting out, I'd say start with the Verse, solo on the Chorus. Later, things can be mixed up.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice - thanks, all!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my songs are patchwork affairs with trading fours, eights or even just switching lead every two measures with the other horn doing backup. I sit with the music and hear all this go on in my head and then try and get the guys to do it. That's the difficult, cat herding, frustrating and challenging part of this. They don't live, eat and breath this music. I send them videos all the time to get it in their heads and still..... I keep waiting for the band to quit on me or me just fire them all. Hopefully your crew has your passion. Best wishes.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is all too obvious, but, as for all the intricate switching around, short of genetic cloning:

If you're a band that plays exclusively by ear, what's needed is a heavy dose of rehearsal repetition and, on the bandstand, hand and eye signals.
If you're a reading band, the switching around needs to be noted on everybody's music.
If you're a play-by-ear band you might start with the details noted on the music and later, once it's ingrained in everyone's head, you can discard the printed music. [/list][/list]
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arranger-Transcriber wrote:
Maybe this is all too obvious, but, as for all the intricate switching around, short of genetic cloning:

If you're a band that plays exclusively by ear, what's needed is a heavy dose of rehearsal repetition and, on the bandstand, hand and eye signals.
If you're a reading band, the switching around needs to be noted on everybody's music.
If you're a play-by-ear band you might start with the details noted on the music and later, once it's ingrained in everyone's head, you can discard the printed music. [/list][/list]

This gets a little funny. We are a reading band. Everybody has the basic parts. Here's the funny part. Some people say they remember it all and will have no problems. They do. Some people take my printed instructions and put them next to the music and try to refer to them. Doesn't work. Some people write them on the page in very small print. Yup. They miss the cues also. Some people reproduce my large print obvious directions on my music and still have concentration issues and forget they are supposed to play. I am reminded of turn of the century bands where one guy could read. He would teach the song to the band. It would take hours for one song. The band might know three songs and every gig just play them over and over.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
What's the usual practice on Dixieland solos - solo over the whole form or just the chorus?

The usual practice is that the verse is used either as an intro or once after the chorus (and then usually doesn't occur again) or is omitted entirely, and the blowing occurs entirely on the chorus or, if it exists, the "trio" section.

So, for example, Louis Armstrong and "Potato Head Blues" - in this case, and in the terminology we use regionally, it's an ensemble of chorus, then trumpet verse, then solos over the chorus changes (with a little four-bar banjo interlude before trumpet) and an ensemble 2nd half chorus to take it out:

Link

This is actually a little complicated arrangement for an example, it was just one that jumped into my head...

But far more common (if the verse is played) is for it to get played at the top and that's it. At least that's been the case with most of the bands with whom I've played this style of music. Even more common to omit the verse entirely (much as we do when playing most of the American songbook in an instrumental jazz setting), as those verses are usually pretty forgettable...
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verses that are forgettable are still better than forgettable solos.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're making progress. We're a reading band that uses Real Dixieland lead sheets. We play the verse and chorus with one of the horns leading, the others adding ornaments, then take turns soloing over the chorus with the tuba providing the bass line.

What takes time is getting the hang of adding arpeggios, passing tones, etc. when one of the horns is leading. As in so many genres, we're learning that less is more.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jhatpro"]We're making progress. We're a reading band that uses Real Dixieland lead sheets. We play the verse and chorus with one of the horns leading, the others adding ornaments, then take turns soloing over the chorus with the tuba providing the bass line.

What takes time is getting the hang of adding arpeggios, passing tones, etc. when one of the horns is leading. As in so many genres, we're learning that less is more.[/quote]

That's how I prefer to do it too
robbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still checking in jhatpro, for a simple response mine is to the most part just the chorus.

You're obviously in early sages of jazz playing, and it's best to simplify things.
The majority of solos are done over the chorus, and besides that, verses are quite often more complicated chord wise.

My jazz began with dixieland when I was 15. Luckily at that age we could develop slowly. My playing improved greatly when I gained more harmonic awareness in the progressions, and started copying a few licks from recordings.

All the best,

Rob
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob. Good info to be found here:

http://playing-traditional-jazz.blogspot.com/

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dixieland is Jazz in it's purest form."

Warren W. Vache Sr.

Mr. Vache was a jazz musician (string bass), charter Board member of the New Jersey Jazz Society, jazz writer, and the father of two world-class musicians, Warren Vache, Jr. and Allen Vache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: