• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Silent Brass SB7X Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:
I can't find the difference between SB7X and SB7XC. Can anyone help? I'm going to buy one this week.

For the early versions (SB7-9) the letter at the end told you which version of the headphone amp came with it.

Yamaha calls it a SB7X on their web-site. The only mention I see of SB7XC is on a (soon to be defunct) big-box music store.

I got mine from Mouthpiece Express - for about the same price as the lowest of the low on-line. And I'd rather send my money to them than to a company named after a river in Brazil (no offence to the Brazilians)

Gary.
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it with the C at the end from at least 6 on-line stores (WWBW, Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, etc, etc. Even WalMart!!! I checked Mouthpiece Expresses site, and don't see it.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my new STX silent brass for about 6 weeks and it has been very useful to get some extra practice time in. Unfortunately yesterday I dropped the stx box (well pulled it off the table while plugged in) and the mute jack socket broke right off - its a surface mount component held on just by the solder.

Looking for a replacement it looks like you can't buy the STX on their own but the ST9 is still available. Anybody know if the ST9 will work with the new mute?

Cheers

Carl
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just made a trial with the ST9 I only use with my piccolo (I bought a ST9 especially for this, so not sure it is a standard ST9 but I think so).
It technically works with the STX Bb mute but the sound with my Bb is very bad.
So useless.
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, good to know. I'll try a repair first - time to buy a soldering iron!
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys you got me interested. For a flugelhorn if anyone has used them how much resistance do you experience. With a flugelhorn you play very easy no big blowing and I wonder how that affects the play with the silent mute.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I also use the flugel mute and the trombone mute with my STX and all this works well.
Far better than my previous practice mutes. No problem. If you like the STX with the trumpet mute, you will like the others.
Regard.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my trumpet mute system, I also have a flugelhorn system. I don't notice any more or less resistance with it as with my trumpet system.

(BTW - just as an afterthought, I really don't need this. I probably should have gotten a new French Horn system instead, since I play Horn much more than flugelhorn. So if anyone wants to help me get a Horn system, my flugelhorn system is available.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jazzfunk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread.

I'm looking to buy the new Yamaha Silent Brass for my trumpet and flugelhorn home practice sessions. I've had the old version for years and it's time to upgrade. I'm thinking of buying a complete set for one instrument and an additional single mute for the other instrument.

There seems to be two versions out there now the SB7X and the SB7X-2 (for trumpet) and SB6X and SB6X-2 for the flugelhorn.

The -2 versions appears to be the "latest" model release. Does anyone know the difference?

/K
Jupiter slide trumpet

SC1 (when I'm working on MSC)
Asymmetric 342 Lead (when I fall back to old chops)
Bach 1C, Weril 46W, Asymmetric 545 Opera, Denis Wick 4 FL
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVouty wrote:
OK thanks, good to know. I'll try a repair first - time to buy a soldering iron!

You might consider buying the replacement part, and then paying a cell phone/computer repair place to do the soldering for you, because they'll have a good professional soldering iron, the right solder, etc.

Sez the soldering snob..
MaryT

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Silent Brass Reply with quote

Love this new system...luckily Woodwind and Brasswind was including them with purchase of a horn at the right time for me. Best thing is that this mute doesn't fall out of the bell. I had that problem with the previous model...
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzfunk wrote:
The -2 versions appears to be the "latest" model release. Does anyone know the difference?

Near as I can determine it is new and improved electronics -a better reverberation algorithm.

Gary.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both systems and just recently sold off the newer one, after only a month or so.

The mute is quiet, the two reverb settings (IMO) were 'just right'; intonation was good, and brilliant for use as a play-along tool, but.., the resistance for me was off the planet. So restrictive.

I understand one needs to back off and play quietly when practicing on all mutes, but without the electronics, this was way too stuffy - with the electronics, actually not too bad although still hard work to use.

For me, a harmon mute makes a better practice mute for us apartment dwellers.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use the Silent Brass system essentially as a pick-up mic to plug into pedals and an amplifier? For example, have it plugged into a tremolo pedal and plug that into an amplifier?
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
kallen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzfunk wrote:

Amazon lists both SB7X2 and SB7Xc (and some of the older SB79c). I couldn't find online information about the differences, but the official Yamaha USA site shows the -2 model as current: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/silent_brass/silent_brass/specs.html#product-tabs
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
kallen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
Can I use the Silent Brass system essentially as a pick-up mic to plug into pedals and an amplifier? For example, have it plugged into a tremolo pedal and plug that into an amplifier?

The online manual says you can patch the headphone outputs into a recording system, provided the recording input does not supply phantom power, which would screw up the Personal Studio box. But keep in mind that the headphone output is a stereo mini jack, so unless you're patching into a stereo input, you will need some kind of a splitter cable to split the L and R signals into two mono RCA or phone plugs. (The trumpet mic input is mono, but the Personal Studio adds stereo reverb.)

It's possible you could take one of these mono outputs directly into a pedal, but it might work better to patch into an amp or mixing board and put the pedal in a send-receive loop from there. This would be an off-label use of the system, so you might have to deal with level-matching or impedance matching issues.

I just ordered a Silent Brass setup specifically to use as input to a computer running audio FX software, such as harmonizers, looping echoes, filters, etc. The idea is that I want to monitor only the processed sound, not the direct trumpet sound. By using the Silent Brass mute and a pair of closed-back headphones, I expect to get very little leakage from the trumpet itself.

I will post a followup once I see how this works out.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the SB7X for about 2 years and use it a lot when traveling and at home when learning new parts plugging into my iPad for play along. I find that by regulating playback volume on my iPad and Mute volume on the amplifier, I can dial my sound into the play along a lot better. I used it to woodshed parts that I had one day to polish for a last minute sub performance and it served that purpose well. I don't practice with it often but it resides in my case for when I might have a need.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the new model for a year or so, decided it was a piece of crap and sold it. I'd rather use a re-nuz-it mute. The SB was wonky, out of tune. Worst of all, I ended up with a dent in my horn when I put it down on a hotel room desk, and the tangle of wires got snagged and pulled it to the floor.
jerikfp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see they've made improvements over the old silent brass. Although, it was really cool when it first came to the market.
natetpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Been looking into buying one of these recently, new baby in the house makes to finding time to practice difficult!!
I have a large 72 style bell, will the mute fit ok or will I need to do some "re-corking" to get the full advantage of the system?!

Cheers
Nate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: