• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help for new mouthpiece !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akis94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Help for new mouthpiece !!! Reply with quote

Hello
I need your help and advices !!!
I play on a Yamaha 4335G more than 10 years now, with the 11B4 and i'm currently studying trumpet in Bulgaria/Plovdiv in the Music academy.

To my problem now....
The last year , sometimes i have the feeling that the mouthpiece doesn't fit me anymore so good, i think it's too small. And i always have problems with my low tones.

I was thinking to go to a 14B4-GP, with a little bigger rimm but also a little shallow. but i'll try also a few others....

I was thinking to buy these:
Yamaha 14B4
Bach 3C
Shilke 13B or 14B
Yamaha 13B4

What do you mean?

Thank you
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To limit your variables I'd probably recommend initially staying with the stock Yamaha pieces. See if the larger B cups help. I play the 14F4 for flugel and 11B4 for piccolo, and I used to play the 14B4 for the Bb. I found it very easy to transition between all of these. Once you are comfortable with the size you might try the C cup to see if that responds better for you.

FWIW I'm not a fan of the GP series.

My favorite playing piece (sound and response) is the Bach 1.5C. But I prefer a slightly smaller rim.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
burnhamd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Akis94,
What part doesn't feel right, is it the rim, cup etc., In my humble opinion, you need to lock in on a rim contour, and diameter that you are comfortable with. Have you changed your embouchure or jaw movement when seating your mouthpiece?

Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Akis94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rim, it's comfortable on my lips, but when i play low notes or generally not high, sometimes i feel it a little bit too small...
burnhamd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Akis94,
Ok, I'm not expert by any means but it sounds like there could be a couple of things going on.
1. As you loosen your lips to play lower you could be putting more lip inside the cup. On mouthpieces with A and B cups it is sometimes easier to bottom out where it is more difficult to do that on a C cup. I am referencing Schilke system of measuring cup depth.

2. I'm not familiar with Yamaha mouthpieces but the angle of slope going from the rim to the cup could also play a factor.

Suggestions:
You know you like the rim contour. So if you can get the next size up with the same rim contour. I looked at Yamaha's chart and they skip around quite a bit.
Here is the Yamaha Link:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=ae.yamaha.com&asset_id=55190

The problem is there is not a next size up like 12B4 for you to try. They do offer a 13B4 which is going to be a bigger diameter. Your current mouthpiece is equivalent to a Bach 7D. The 13B4 would be equivalent to a Bach 6C.

You've got to find Rim and diameter that fits you. Once you find that then you can work from there regarding cup depth. Finding the right fit is like finding a pair of shoes. If they don't fit right you won't wear them. Also, you may have to look at a different mouthpiece manufacture that can accommodate incremental changes to get the right fit for you. I wish you well in finding the right mouthpiece.

Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To my problem now....
The last year , sometimes i have the feeling that the mouthpiece doesn't fit me anymore so good, i think it's too small. And i always have problems with my low tones.

Every time I get this feeling, it usually means I've altered my method in a way that is not good. The feeling goes away when I correct the issue with me. I've got a drawer full of solutions that weren't the answer.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, try the 14B4-GP or standard 14B4.. both excellent designs. The rim and cup are supposed to be the same, the GP also has a slightly larger backbore-a bit free-er blowing. I used them both for many years and have had many students that found them to be comfortable, playable and suitable for a wide variety of situations.

Both are deep enough to support a good all-around tone (including the low end) and the upper register. I don't like the C cup versions of the 14 series, I've found the "feel" of the rim to have much more bite.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very close to impossible to give an advice to a question like this only based on some words on the internet.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help for new mouthpiece !!! Reply with quote

Akis94 wrote:
Hello
I need your help and advices !!!
I play on a Yamaha 4335G more than 10 years now, with the 11B4 and i'm currently studying trumpet in Bulgaria/Plovdiv in the Music academy.

To my problem now....

I was thinking to go to a 14B4-GP, with a little bigger rimm but also a little shallow. but i'll try also a few others....

I was thinking to buy these:
Yamaha 14B4
Bach 3C
Shilke 13B or 14B
Yamaha 13B4

What do you mean?

Thank you

Hi Akis94

Welcome to the forum.

I feel that your low note issues are more likely to be owing to technique issues or insufficient use of the slides, leading to you lipping notes down to the extent that they are not quite centred. In this regard, I am referring to the low D and C# in particular.

However, it wouldn't in my opinion hurt to try another mouthpiece. Since you have a Yamaha trumpet, I'd suggest sticking to Yamaha mouthpieces. The 14B4 would probably be the one to try, as it has a little larger cup diameter than the 11B4.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Akis94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your fast answers
I'm playing exercises for my low tones, and i think it'll be better with time, but maybe with a liittle bit larger rim it'll be easier...

What i mean, is that i have the feeling that my lips want to go out (from the rim) sometimes. Especially with low tones...

And so, after time, i was thinking to try something larger, i was thinking about the 14B4, but i will try also the same size from some other brands just to see how they sit on my lips...
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akis94 wrote:

Hi Akis94

You are very welcome.

I'm playing exercises for my low tones, and i think it'll be better with time, but maybe with a liittle bit larger rim it'll be easier...

Possibly.

What i mean, is that i have the feeling that my lips want to go out (from the rim) sometimes. Especially with low tones...

This does sound like it may still be a technique issue, and presumably something which you have discussed with your tutor (is your college tutor a trumpeter, or do you also have a private trumpet tutor?). If you haven't, I would strongly suggest this. I'm not really sure whether it could be a sign that a mouthpiece diameter is too small. With me, signs that a mouthpiece is too small, other than it feeling small and cramped, is that flexibility is reduced and note production seems more difficult.

And so, after time, i was thinking to try something larger, i was thinking about the 14B4,

I think that this is an excellent all-around mouthpiece.

but i will try also the same size from some other brands just to see how they sit on my lips...

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of gap, but in my experience of Yamaha trumpets, they require less gap than say a Bach trumpet, and I've had to have my Bach mouthpiece sleeved to replicate the insertion amount/gap of a Yamaha mouthpiece in a Yamaha trumpet, and I feel that sticking to a Yamaha mouthpiece will prevent introducing gap issues.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Akis94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Akis94 wrote:

Hi Akis94

You are very welcome.

Possibly.

This does sound like it may still be a technique issue, and presumably something which you have discussed with your tutor (is your college tutor a trumpeter, or do you also have a private trumpet tutor?). If you haven't, I would strongly suggest this. I'm not really sure whether it could be a sign that a mouthpiece diameter is too small. With me, signs that a mouthpiece is too small, other than it feeling small and cramped, is that flexibility is reduced and note production seems more difficult.

And so, after time, i was thinking to try something larger, i was thinking about the 14B4,

but i will try also the same size from some other brands just to see how they sit on my lips...

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of gap, but in my experience of Yamaha trumpets, they require less gap than say a Bach trumpet, and I've had to have my Bach mouthpiece sleeved to replicate the insertion amount/gap of a Yamaha mouthpiece in a Yamaha trumpet, and I feel that sticking to a Yamaha mouthpiece will prevent introducing gap issues.

Best wishes

Lou

Thank you very much
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting subject.
How are your medium to high range coming out? If you're playing 1st trumpet parts it sees like there's very little written below concert F (first space in the staff). If you're worrying about about getting down around the lower ledger lines in the staff, how often do you have to play them?
I know it's great to have three octaves or more to work with but be realistic. If you really need those lower notes then maybe you need a new mouthpiece so you don't bottom out as easily. In real life maybe it's best to go with what works well for you in the predominate range in which you play. For the few low notes that occasionally crop up you can probably do a work-around like playing up an octave or pulling your mouth corners back a bit on the low notes to avoid the too-much-lip in the cup syndrome. You can treat it as a mechanical-sonic problem sort of like using you sides to compensate for pitch problems in trumpets ( in general).
Just another viewpoint not to confuse the situation.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akis94 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Akis94 wrote:

Hi Akis94

You are very welcome.

Possibly.

Best wishes

Lou

Thank you very much

You are very welcome.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
It's very close to impossible to give an advice to a question like this only based on some words on the internet.

True, but we can narrow the field of choices for the mouthpiece safari..

A logical first step without being in the same room with a player and a box of mouthpieces is to go a touch larger with a comparable mouthpiece..

You're playing a Yamaha 11 but want a little more sound, control, and a well rounded bottom to top range.. Yamaha 14B4 standard or GP is a good first step and won't cost you a ton of money.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
delano wrote:

True, but we can narrow the field of choices for the mouthpiece safari..

A logical first step without being in the same room with a player and a box of mouthpieces is to go a touch larger with a comparable mouthpiece..

You're playing a Yamaha 11 but want a little more sound, control, and a well rounded bottom to top range.. Yamaha 14B4 standard or GP is a good first step and won't cost you a ton of money.

I fully agree.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me an email if you wish:
grmouthpieces@gmail.com

I will email you our playing tests. You can video yourself, we will check it out and make some suggestions. Thanks!

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Akis94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
Send me an email if you wish:
grmouthpieces@gmail.com

I will email you our playing tests. You can video yourself, we will check it out and make some suggestions. Thanks!

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

Thank you !!!
But i haven't buy them yet, i'll buy them next month, so i can't send you a video yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: