• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice room in an apartment building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Practice room in an apartment building Reply with quote

I've decided to convert a 70 sq ft. room into a practice room.

After putting up the soundproofing, the room will shrink to 50 sq ft. and the height will be 6 feet 4 inches.

Not a lot of space, granted.
But I'd really I want all my trumpet related items to be in that one room.

Horns, mouthpieces, mutes, lubes, sheet music, books, teaching tools and so on.
A mirror, a music stand and enough room for two chairs.
Possibly a recording/speaker kind of system so that I can record myself/students, and play back immediately.

I'm not much of an interior designer, but I reckon that some of you are.
How can I best fit all things in a meaningful way?

Please share your experiences and ideas.
Feel free to post pictures, too.
Thank you!
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to consider ventilation. You are making a small space even smaller and without good ventilation it will get uncomfortably hot.

Hup
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HVAC will also conduct the sound quite nicely to other apartments unless a special system is installed.

Are you building an isolated "room within a room"?

I would try hanging absorptive material first and playing into that before doing the whole room. Corning OC-703 lining the walls, ceiling, and floor of a corner that you play into might be all you need.
Trumpetsteve76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering doing a similar conversion...using as much height on shelving to maximize storage space.
audreyl138

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest adding a few decorative things such as artwork, plants, etc. Since you will be spending plenty of hours in there, something pleasant to look at and make you feel relaxed could really help! Especially on days when practicing is not going your way!
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try hanging absorptive material first and playing into that before doing the whole room. Corning OC-703 lining the walls, ceiling, and floor of a corner that you play into might be all you need.[/quote]

Have you tried this material. I am looking to deaden the sound in my studio. Does it work?
joebob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who bought and installed a Wenger practice room for this same purpose. They have a variety of sizes and some have microphones and speakers installed for reverb/hall simulation. The Wenger practice room is very sound proof, and is moveable if you ever move from the apartment. Sometimes you can find a used one for sale. If you ever want to get rid of it you can sell it used to schools, churches, etc. I know one person who donated an old one to a school for the tax deduction. It might be worth looking into. Don't know but it could possibly be cheaper than renovating a room.
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hup_d_dup wrote:
Don't forget to consider ventilation. You are making a small space even smaller and without good ventilation it will get uncomfortably hot.

Hup

You're right. Have already budgeted with a/c
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
HVAC will also conduct the sound quite nicely to other apartments unless a special system is installed.

Are you building an isolated "room within a room"?

I would try hanging absorptive material first and playing into that before doing the whole room. Corning OC-703 lining the walls, ceiling, and floor of a corner that you play into might be all you need.

I should've said that I've ordered a company to do build it.
I trust that they know what they're doing, soundproofing wise.

Not a room within a room. A real room which just happens to be soundproof was my idea.

I mostly concerned about organizing/designing the space after it's been built.
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audreyl138 wrote:
I would suggest adding a few decorative things such as artwork, plants, etc. Since you will be spending plenty of hours in there, something pleasant to look at and make you feel relaxed could really help! Especially on days when practicing is not going your way!

Practice always go my way! Not...

Yup will def try to make it aesthetic
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joebob wrote:
I know someone who bought and installed a Wenger practice room for this same purpose. They have a variety of sizes and some have microphones and speakers installed for reverb/hall simulation. The Wenger practice room is very sound proof, and is moveable if you ever move from the apartment. Sometimes you can find a used one for sale. If you ever want to get rid of it you can sell it used to schools, churches, etc. I know one person who donated an old one to a school for the tax deduction. It might be worth looking into. Don't know but it could possibly be cheaper than renovating a room.

Great tip, thanks. I wasn't aware that this kind of booth was still around. I looked into prices. With the shipping cost to Korea where I currently live I'm better off getting local labor to build it according to my specs.
I support the local economy and get to be the construction site boss
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joebob wrote:

Hypothetically, say 3 people with huge energetic sounds (bergeron, charlie davis, and some other la studio horse:)) go into a properly installed wenger practice room in an apartment at 3 am, in a building with thin walls...do the neighbors call the police or can the 3 trumpeters practice high and loud notes without worry?

I suppose per the above, would 2 or 1 trumpeter perhaps be under a limit?

Thanks for posting about wenger rooms, this post was the first i had heard of them. im looking to see if i can find one in los angeles to demo.

I have looked on youtube and ive seen a few band kids at some highschool show how sound proof the rooms can be, but i could not tell if it would suffice in the late night apartment scenario as described above.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: