• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

finding places to practice during trips

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oregoncoast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: finding places to practice during trips Reply with quote

Dear all

Although I rarely post on Trumpet Herald (mostly because I have little to contribute), I eagerly read your comments.

Today I ask you for advice on finding places to practice during trips.

My playing ability is very low, and few people would like to hear me practice. What are tips on finding spots where I won't disturb the public peace?

In particular, this summer I am traveling on business to Southampton, UK and Antwerp, Belgium. I will not have a car.

In Japan, where I spend many of my working days, I can go to a karaoke bar to practice. About US$8 gets me a private room, plus free soft drinks, for 3 hours.

One way to paraphrase my question would be: How can I determine that a particular place at a particular time is suitable for me to practice without a practice mute? Or getting arrested?

My playing ability does not allow me to practice effectively with a practice mute. I own several, yet all feel and sound totally different from what I need to work on.

Thank you,
OregonCoast
OldKing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any concrete suggestions, but I did want to state that your level of ability has nothing to do with it. No one wants to hear pros practice, except us trumpet geeks.

The karaoke room sounds like a great idea. 'Don't know how you came up with that idea, but it's brilliant.

Perhaps others will chime in with suggestions regarding just mouthpiece buzzing. I'm interested in this aspect, when you're traveling and regular practice isn't practical.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me on this

In the uk there are plenty of places that are free, but you have to be prepared to seek them out and wear wet weather gear.

I am a busker and I learned my instrument on the street from day one in the uk sounding worse than you do and I can tell you that you can find plenty of bridges underpasses parks and open spaces to practice, just wrap up well and take an umberella.

I know a saxophonist who walks to a wooded area and practices there, I practice as I walk along the street, if they dont like it, they only have a few seconds to put up with and I have moved on. I just avoid heavily built up areas and staying in one spot where there are homes.

I have only ever received one single complaint about practicing and that was at 4pm on a wednesday afternoon in the centre of the city, and the complainant told me there were families trying to sleep close by. The complainant was clearly an idiot.

Just find somewhere out of the way and have a ball.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've practiced in the far corners of parking lots at a theater and a Walmart. I also practiced just outside the fence of an Air Force Base. I practiced on an access road near a hospital. I look on maps for roads that go to relatively unused locations and then just set up and practice outside.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having traveled a bunch, with bands, there was a competition to find places to blow.

For me having a Yamaha Silent Brass helped. Not that I would use it all the time but allowed me to fill in gaps. I could do a little work in the hotel room. And the one huge plus with this practice system is that you hear yourself from the bell end. It won't inhibit things you're working on regardless of your abilitiy. Additionally, you can connect music (like your phone or mp3 player) to play along with - at one time I figured out how to connect a tuner and could warm up with a drone - good pitch practice/ear training.

Then places I've practiced: Most hotels have business/conference rooms, the hotel pool, hotel basement, large bathrooms/locker rooms, parking garage, schools, churches, theaters, restaurant/bar when it's closed, (I like your Karaoke idea), stair well, hotel laudry, the band's bus/van, at the gig site (go early).
My other note is that I often used a cup mute in some of these places, just to take the edge off the volume and the affect on the feel was minimal.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I dislike them, a Silent Brass or practice mute would be my choice.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with zaferis; said almost all of what I was going to say and jibes with my experience totally. I would have a Yamaha Silent Mute System handy and I would also go to the front desk straight away.

If you do want to play outdoors, I also second the suggestion to not forget your umbrella.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oregoncoast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: thank you for your advice Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for your advice.

Yes I will talk to the hotel personnel, and yes I will bring my Yamaha Silent Brass. Though, to be honest, I dislike it.

I will wear a sweater, raincoat, and gloves, and walk around looking for a cozy spot to practice!

I should bring my hand warmer. When I practiced at a park in Washington state (USA) my fingers froze, as did my mouthpiece when I rested.

Thank you again,
OregonCoast
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have figured out how to practice in any hotel room. The trick: bucket mute (does not change air resistance) and turn the TV up LOUD. Select the channel that has the most continuous sound with least music: news channels or game shows usually work well.

Also your mindset is important. I say to myself, "This is what I need to do right now, nobody really cares, and if they do I am happy to stop." I find that practicing with a furtive or guilty attitude messes up my chops.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a practice mute and play softly. (If I practice loudly with a practice mute, I get used to the additional resistance, which throws off my playing when I get back home and try to play without the practice mute.)

Alternatively, you could build a "practice cave" on the bed with pillows and a comforter. Stick the end of the bell inside the cave and practice softly. Here's Phil Smith's demo: https://youtu.be/aMEqN17U-JY
Piccolo Stomvi
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the added resistance of a mute. But, in a bind I have played etudes and things like Clarke's Technical Studies in a mute at a medium volume. I never do range studies like Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach in a mute because pedal tones don't work much below a double pedal C and notes above a Double High A are too restricted. I like the free open feel of a Claude Gordon Selmer and CG Personal mouthpiece and a mute is opposite that.

I typically scout out places to practice as soon I get to a new place. I might use a conference room or ball room or sneak away to someplace like an HVAC machine room or take my car and find a secluded spot or just park someplace and practice outside the car. I have also rented spaces before just so I could practice.

The earlier comment made me laugh about people listening to professionals practice. Harry Kim told me that one of his neighbors once asked him if he ever played songs and what Harry did. Some of the things we do as trumpet players aren't so exciting for other people to listen to but it's important to do.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Bert Falcone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Practicing while traveling Reply with quote

Look into colleges in the area. Maybe they have a music department and you could use a practice room. I travel a ton for work and very often stop into music stores that have practice rooms. Ask to try several horns while there and you could easily get in a 30-45 minute practice.
1940 NY Bach ML
1945 French Besson Meha
1978 Benge 1X
1950 Martin C
2008 Selmer Concept Flugel
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've done:

Practice in the rear parking lots of hotels mid day, when most rooms are vacant and point the horn at an open field. I put sheet music on my car's windscreen on the driver's side and use that as a music stand - standing just to the right of the car.

I've asked and received permission from hotel staff to use their banquet room to practice.

I've practiced in a deserted camp ground just off the highway - one could also use a rest stop as well.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is a great place to practice and you won't disturb anyone.
oregoncoast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: thank you everybody Reply with quote

Dear all

Thank you for your tips. Your advice gives me courage to seek out places to practice. Maybe that adventurous action itself will strengthen my nerves so that I can play unperturbed!

I consider this topic closed at this time.

Thanks, and good luck,
OregonCoast
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning;

One of my uncle's tricks (saxophone player) is to find a cemetery to practice in (assuming there isn't a service going on). They are usually quiet, empty, and far enough away from anything else as to not bother anyone.

D
E. Denecke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing very quietly is great for your chops AND the neighbors. It takes a decent amount of wind control but the challenge will pay off. Also, if you have one, a Dennis Wick cup mute is adjustable and can provide an affordable alternative to the Silent Brass system.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm vacationing in a small town in Spain where I usually practice in a park near a national highway in front of a fire statio under a palm tree but I have to stand and it gets tiring after a couple of hours. a nice stool would be nice.

yesterday I found a spot near a brick wall facing the ocean on the beach. at sundown it is perfect as I take a stool from home with me.

BUT today I found the park of my dreams near my pad.
empty, near a road with lots of cars driving by and just a few
people playing pétanque on the other end.

the gardener was watering and with the nice breeze it was fantastic!
it also had a few plastic chairs under a nice tree with no birds above
my head to drop any bombs.

this is my new hang for the rest of my vacation here

with just a little effort and determination I found my practice paradise
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on business trips I have played: on the street in front of the hotel, in a closed up ballroom (with front desk approval), with a harmon mute in my room, on the balcony during the mid-day

on personal trips; In a parking lot in the desert, under an overpass, on the beach, in my truck.

When I am practicing scales, articulations, etc. it is boring and I know people don't want to listen I hide... if I'm playing tunes, I go ahead and play where people can hear me (yet walk away if they want)
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on tour, when I'm not able to use a meeting or convention room in the hotel that isn't being used, I do the whisper soft second line G for 20 min. (as per the Cat Anderson book), rest 10 min., do a soft C in the staff for 10 min, rest another 10 min. and then do Clarke exercise 1, 2 or 7 very soft. This really helped keep me in shape when there was no other option. It helps if you do it with the TV on and before 9 PM.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: