• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO now open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gould may have a point, but he is not a very friendly, nice man. I have several friends in "high places" so to speak that have had some negative experiences with him. One of my friends who is now a professor at one of the big-name schools told me that when he auditioned for Gould, he mocked his religion. Who does that? I take everything Mark says with a grain of salt.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic at hand:
Any word on who won? Or is this a no-hire?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Gould may have a point, but he is not a very friendly, nice man. I have several friends in "high places" so to speak that have had some negative experiences with him. One of my friends who is now a professor at one of the big-name schools told me that when he auditioned for Gould, he mocked his religion. Who does that? I take everything Mark says with a grain of salt.

Sure, I suppose one should take it with a grain of salt if what he's saying is relevant to his personality, like if you were to ask him how to settle a dispute between two colleagues. But when it comes to music, the industry, and trumpet, he knows what he's talking about. And as far as I'm concerned (for what little that's worth) he's dead-on about a number of these things regarding auditions, the music industry, teaching trumpet at the college level, etc.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Sure, I suppose one should take it with a grain of salt if what he's saying is relevant to his personality, like if you were to ask him how to settle a dispute between two colleagues. But when it comes to music, the industry, and trumpet, he knows what he's talking about. And as far as I'm concerned (for what little that's worth) he's dead-on about a number of these things regarding auditions, the music industry, teaching trumpet at the college level, etc.

You are correct. Setting his character aside, he is pretty spot-on with a number of things regarding the music industry. I don't claim expertise in that area.

Nevertheless, I find many of the modern orchestral players to be quite enjoyable to listen to. Times have changed, but great music is still great music.
JenTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:
I find it quite remarkable that top tier players like Mark Inouye in New York; Hughes, Vosburgh, Hooten in Chicago, etc are not "good enough" for those respective orchestras. I really would be curious to know what the committees believe sets Chris Martin's playing a cut above the aforementioned.

This statement is assuming that those players actually auditioned. I can't speak for the others, but Tom Hooten did not take the audition. So that explains why he didn't get the position!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows. They are all better than me and make a living at trumpet while I make a living writing computer software! So I don't understand what NYPO considers "good enough."
sweet-ribs chamberlain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One player *did* advance out of prelims. 3 played a final round on June 19. There is another player yet to play a final round next week. This is all information from someone who was part of the process (not me).

Sweet-ribs

Last edited by sweet-ribs chamberlain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sweet-ribs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, if they don't pick somebody I think I'll just send in my Mahlermute 5 video. That'll be sure to get me the gig.

Link

On second thought, or maybe Samson... That would be okay. He needs to earn his keep. I don't think Mowgli could hack it though. This video was actually the first time he ever howled in his life (lucky we were to catch that). He just doesn't have the experience yet for a major orchestra.

Last edited by John Mohan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Heck, if they don't pick somebody I think I'll just send in my Mahlermute 5 video. That'll be sure to get me the gig.

Link

Ooo, new thread idea. Dogs howling during trumpet practice.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:
I find it quite remarkable that top tier players like Mark Inouye in New York; Hughes, Vosburgh, Hooten in Chicago, etc are not "good enough" for those respective orchestras. I really would be curious to know what the committees believe sets Chris Martin's playing a cut above the aforementioned.

You're assuming these guys took the audition, or are even interested in the job. Big assumption.
chstrpt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
anonymous22 wrote:

You're assuming these guys took the audition, or are even interested in the job. Big assumption.

+1 Jim's post
ChicagoTrumpet229

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If finals were a week ago assuming this was a no hire?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Link

On second thought, or maybe Samson... That would be okay. He needs to earn his keep. I don't think Mowgli could hack it though. This video was actually the first time he ever howled in his life (lucky we were to catch that). He just doesn't have the experience yet for a major orchestra.

Hi John,

Enjoyed the Mally accompanist. Take him with you to your next audition
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:

Hi John,

Enjoyed the Mally accompanist. Take him with you to your next audition

Good idea! And I'll just explain to the committee that Samson gets upset when his daddy doesn't win.

Credit is also due for our little (little is a relative term given that he weighs 80 lbs.) Pitbull/Mastiff mix Mowgli for his contribution - especially considering this was the first time he howled in his life, which we were lucky enough to capture on the video.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet-ribs chamberlain wrote:
One player *did* advance out of prelims. 3 played a final round on June 19. There is another player yet to play a final round next week. This is all information from someone who was part of the process (not me).

Sweet-ribs

No hire at the CSO?

Happy 4th eve everyone!
trptjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how long this page will remain up, so if anyone wants have a copy of the audition list and the rental excerpts, you may want to download from this link:

https://cso.org/about/resources/cso-auditions/

Joe
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out to people Joe.
trptjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and now that the prelims are over, here's what was asked for on the audition:
Solo: Arutunian (the lyrical section from D to F; we were told that it would be the solo when the whole group of six had arrived)
Promenade
Heldenleben: Eb part from seven after 49 to 55
Ballerina, with the three preceding fanfare notes
Mahler 3: the chorale section at the end, from 26 to 27
They had more excerpts in the queue, but this was all they were asking for on my day.

Joe
hpoles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish.... One day!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: