• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3M (coming in the mail tomorrow)!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Curry 3M (coming in the mail tomorrow)! Reply with quote

Good evening,

Remember that video I made about the difference between my Bach 3C and the Schilke 14A4a mouthpieces? I really appreciated all the excellent advice and suggestions...

I emailed Mouthpiece Express back and forth about who I am, what I play (old '67 Holton Collegiate - my trusty school band horn), my range, my style of music, and most importantly, my severe dental issues. I also told them that (as seen in the background of that You Tube video I made), I am also a Shriner and play 2nd chair trumpet with The Shriners "Million Dollar Band" here in Richmond, VA. No jazz, no pop, but regular concert band music and marches.

I love my Bach 3C for comfort, but want a little more ease in the upper range. I don't care for 7C's or Yamaha 11, etc..etc..etc.. I'm one of those guys that likes larger rimmed mouthpieces.

Anyway, after going 'round and 'round with Mouthpiece Express, I took them up on their suggestion for a Curry 3M (now labeled Curry 3ZM - but still a 3M in size). It will be a hair shallower than a Bach 3C, but would work well for me. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I can send it back after 15 days and they'll exchange it for a Curry 5M, and I can try that one instead. Does anyone play on a Curry?

This is what the Curry 3M looks like (except mine won't have a gold plated rim):
http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15708
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do play on Curry's 3 rims... I have various cups and for several instruments (trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn) . Love them, I am much more consistent on these than any other rim I've played.

For me, the 3M is probably my least used of his line-up, C and B cups for most things (Bb & C trumpet), Star for commercial work, DE picc.,, I think the only time I gravitate toward the 3M is on my Bach Eb Trumpet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that it is fairly bright. It does make high notes easier. Enjoy yours. I hope it gives you the sound you want.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing a concert tonight on my 3M. I normally play a Curry 3C., but this concert (patriotic music, fanfare pieces, etc.) is a bear. I need the added endurance I get from the 3M., and the tone it produces works well for this music.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little twist on the Curry rims that some don't know. The 5M is the size of a Bach 3C to me, about .660. 3M runs bigger than a Bach 3C, about .665. The standard Curry rims are shaped quite differently from others. I've found that the Curry 3C is flatter, like a MV Bach 3C rim, the M series has a little bump to it that affects my chops long term. Just stuff I've noticed since playing these for about 9 years.

ed
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... Update...

Woo-hoo! Here it is!! It just came in the mail and I quickly grabbed the camera to make a new You Tube video with the Curry 3M vs my old Bach 3C. The video speaks for itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdbLXXVECE
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good fit. I hope it continues to work for you after the honeymoon phase.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry's (z)M cup is my favorite of his shallow pieces. I find it very versatile.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Sounds like a good fit. I hope it continues to work for you after the honeymoon phase.

The one thing I have learned about trying different mps is that even if one doesn't work as well after the honeymoon, it doesn't mean you should give up on it. Just keep with it if it seems the right one for you. A change in muscle memory can take a little time but it can be done.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,

Thanks guys for all the great replies. I appreciate it! I guess I have always been searching for a universal type of mouthpiece that is very comfortable, fairly large diameter cup, and most importantly allow upper range without struggle.

The 3M seems like a great fit for what I need. It's not too bright for regular concert band pieces and patriotic marches, and it won't blow people out of the room either or peel the paint off the wall!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, with the 3M, you don't lose your bottom range in the process of making your upper range easier. If you decide the Curry 3M is a keeper, try his 3C, too. In my opinion, it's a much better mouthpiece than the Bach 3C, and is what I use for most normal playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: