• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

York Cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: York Cornets Reply with quote

I have just organised an English York Cornet for one of my advanced students. I like these instruments very much although they are no longer in production unfortunately. They are very easy to play, have great BBB sound and slot very well above High C. I heard via the grapevine that when Besson bought them out they destroyed all the tooling. Is this correct?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosey did not buy them out.

"Following the collapse of Boosey and Hawkes in 2005, Schreiber (AKA Keilwerth, who made the parts for sovereign cornets for B&H) decided to start assembling instruments themselves in Germany. These were sold under the name York Preference with model number 3027 and 3028. A version of the Prestige cornet was also sold as the York Eminence. Production of these ended in 2010 as Buffet Crampon (Courtois) started to regain market share with their relaunched Besson range. The York instruments have stainless steel valves, as do the current French made “Besson” models."

Since I wrote that, Besson production has moved to VMI in Germany (B&S, Scherzer etc), as Courtois / Buffet merged with VMI. I am not sure what happened top the tooling Keilwerth had, which presumably originally came from England.

The York brand only survived for the few years there were no Bessons available. I play on a German made Prestige and it is very good.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Gordon. I was referring to the Preference model. I think Black Dyke used a set of York's for a while?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. Quite a few of them still being played round here. Made from same parts as the Prestige just assembled in a different factory.

trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
That is correct. Quite a few of them still being played round here. Made from same parts as the Prestige just assembled in a different factory.

That's interesting. Personally I have found the Prestige cornets I have played quite different in sound and response from the York Eminence. Have you had the opportunity to compare them?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
GordonH wrote:

That's interesting. Personally I have found the Prestige cornets I have played quite different in sound and response from the York Eminence. Have you had the opportunity to compare them?

I haven't, but presumably the British made ones were very similar as they were from the same stock of parts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: