• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One (or two) time lesson in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: One (or two) time lesson in Chicago Reply with quote

I'll be spending a couple weeks in Chicago in the near future and I'm interested in taking a lesson or two from a top teacher.

I'm specifically looking to increase my tonguing speed (including 2x and 3x) and solidify my other fundamentals. Plus add an octave to my upper range...

I focus mostly on classical music, and I'd say I'm pretty good, but not good enough to make a living primarily from playing.

I would appreciate suggestions and contact info (PM'd to me if the person might not like their contact info divulged). Maybe someone from the CSO?
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Lessons Reply with quote

Look up John Mohan.

You will find him and his contact info in the Claude Gordon forum.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: chicago Reply with quote

Roger Ingram
Pickett Mouthpieces
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Reply with quote

shofar wrote:
Look up John Mohan.

You will find him and his contact info in the Claude Gordon forum.

John Mohan does Skype lessons though, so really you could do that anytime. Not everyone offers lessons online, so if you want to take advantage of being physically in Chicago, then yes, any of the CSO guys, or maybe Bill Denton from the Lyric Opera Orchestra. Sorry, don't have any contact info for you, but you could probably hit them up via Facebook. Denton teaches at DePaul, so you might be able to get his contact info from their website. Bob Sullivan would be good. He teaches at Northwestern, and his contact info is on their website.

I'm not sure if you're being serious about adding an octave to your range... if so you may want to calibrate your expectations of what you'll get from 1 or 2 lessons. Also, expect to pay anywhere from $100-200 for a lesson, so don't be surprised by that when that comes up in your discussion with them.
seantrumpet21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Burns is a fantastic teacher. He really helped me with my double and triple tonguing as well as other fundamentals. Channing Philbrick is great, too.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Will Scarlett Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO one or two lessons won't help much.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Ingram (Jupiter Performing Artist) ... Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies (Circular Breathing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yv5V8qBThM&spfreload=10
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastic Musician wrote:
I'll be spending a couple weeks in Chicago in the near future and I'm interested in taking a lesson or two from a top teacher.

I'm specifically looking to increase my tonguing speed (including 2x and 3x) and solidify my other fundamentals. Plus add an octave to my upper range...

I focus mostly on classical music, and I'd say I'm pretty good, but not good enough to make a living primarily from playing.

I would appreciate suggestions and contact info (PM'd to me if the person might not like their contact info divulged). Maybe someone from the CSO?

Hi there,

In two in-person lessons I could set you up with a good, well-balanced daily routine that will set you on the right path to your goals.

Herbert L. Clarke created a good tonguing exercise that his student (my teacher) Claude Gordon modified. Over time my students increase their single tonguing speed up to 1/16th notes at around 120 to 132 bpm (they usually are at around 100 bpm when they come to me). This level of speed increase usually takes around a year, and sometimes more. You can't develop faster than nature will allow. But if you stick with the exercises the speed increase will happen.

It's the same with range increase. Increasing your range by a full octave will require a doubling of your present air power strength and also will require your gaining the "feel" or "knack" of the higher notes (keep in mind that to get the feel of a particular high note, one has to already have the required strength to play it). Physical strength can be doubled but it takes a long time (think years, not months). Range-wise, my students do usually gain a step or two in their playing fairly quickly after their first lessons with me as I usually can help them find the correctly feel of how to play higher and increase their efficiency with what they already have strength-wise. But then the range increase slows down as it takes time to develop the needed strength in the blowing muscles (and to some extent in the facial muscles). But again, as long as one practices the range exercises correctly, and sticks with it long enough, the desired development will occur.

If you were to continue the lessons via Skype, the advantage would be that every few weeks I'd be able to change your routine to track with your progress and also work on any weak points.

I charge $75 per lesson with lessons lasting about an hour (sometimes less time, usually a bit longer), the same as I charged when I started giving lessons back in 1999 (maybe it's time for me to give myself a raise!).

Here are some nice things students have written after their first lessons with me:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4389

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=477442

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43878

From that last one:

Screamindemon wrote:
A few months ago I took a crash course with Mr. Mohan. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. I had no idea what to expect from the Gordon method.
For anybody else out there interested in taking lessons from Mr. Mohan all i can say is that it is a must. He is perhaps one of the most knowledgable trumpet players/teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of studying with. My only problem is that my active duty Military career keeps me from being able to study with him on a continuous basis.
I am currently deployed in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division Band. Practice time is not exactly at a premium due to all of the othere duties I have, even though i am a bandsmen. With out a doubt my Gordon routine is the only thing saving my chops.
I have to play taps for an upcoming Memorial service, and would not be able to do it with a decent sound otherwise.
The only other thing that I would like to add is that I learned more from Mr. Mohan in a period of nine hours (spread out over a couple of weeks) than I had in the past thirteen years of my playing. Hopefuly this little bit of feed back helps. Oh yeah and my range jumped way up just in our first lesson. I guess that is just a bi product of correct playing.

thanx
Harry Rogers

If you want my help, it's available.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that I need to add a sarcasm indicator: I have no expectation of increasing my range by an octave. That was sarcasm.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I'm only looking for a couple lessons in Chicago because I'll only be there for a couple weeks.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
IMO one or two lessons won't help much.

IMO, it can.

+10 for Roger Ingram. The 1 lesson I had with him turned my playing around.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Sullivan http://www.music.northwestern.edu/faculty/profiles/robert-sullivan.html

John Hagstrom CSO

William Scarlett CSO, Ret. (Oak Park Ill)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: