• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harmon Mute Recommendation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TrumCor Zinger and JoRal aluminum and copper bubble mutes. I prefer the sound of the bubble to the TrumCor. It's a personal thing but the TrumCor is light and plays in tune and "zings" just as it claims so I tend to use it on gigs.
Tried the Best Brass Harmon and loved it so I have one on the way. Very expensive mute but it sounds the best that I have heard yet. (To my ears current preference) Going with the aluminum for the cut.
I see a lot of +1's for the Emo which sparks my interest. I tend to go through phases in what "Harmon" sound I prefer. if the aluminum best brass cuts the gig then I'll get a copper one for record dates as I tend to go warmer on a studio mic. The copper JoRal records very well and I keep a tuner plugged on to my horn to make sure the notes line up.
I'm so glad we have a ton of excellent choices these days.
Any Tom Crown Harmon fans out there?

-cd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt,

Great post. Please give us the details on the Best Brass vs the Trumcor. I like the sound of the JRal Bubble copper, but I don't like the heft of the thing. I was going to get a Trumcor Zinger for my lighter horn, but I think I'll hold off until you compare the Zinger and the Best Brass (sound and weight).

Thanks,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Zinger, to replace my too heavy, copper bubble.

The Zinger is light and has great intonation. The sound is different, though. Not that tight, buzzy sound. But, easy to play. Couldn't get used to the sound, though.

Replaced with a Best Brass. Light, great intonation. And, that nice and tight buzz.....
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the aluminum Best Brass. The cut isn't as pronounced as the Zinger, but the sound is superior in my opinion. It blows even and in tune. It's a little heavier but not enough to worry anyone.
This may be controversial talk, but after both purchases (Zinger and Best Brass) the aluminum JoRal gets the job done just as well. The sound is brighter than the copper but it plays loud and cuts the gig... all for about $55 as compared to $85 or $150 give or take a few bucks for the Best Brass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cjdjazztpt posted:

Got the aluminum Best Brass. The cut isn't as pronounced as the Zinger, but the sound is superior in my opinion. It blows even and in tune. It's a little heavier but not enough to worry anyone.
This may be controversial talk, but after both purchases (Zinger and Best Brass) the aluminum JoRal gets the job done just as well. The sound is brighter than the copper but it plays loud and cuts the gig... all for about $55 as compared to $85 or $150 give or take a few bucks for the Best Brass.

Okay, so I've come up with two alternatives:
1) Buy the JoRal aluminum, Best Brass and Zinger and decide for myself which I like best
2) Don't buy any of the them and just use my Bach Strad with the JoRal copper bubble mute, since I already own the JoRal and since it balances fine in my heavier horn.

Alternative 2 is looking pretty good.

Grits
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot go wrong with option #2, Grits. If you ever care for a slightly different sound, buy the aluminum JoRal and save the money on the expensive stuff.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:
You cannot go wrong with option #2, Grits. If you ever care for a slightly different sound, buy the aluminum JoRal and save the money on the expensive stuff.

Make sure you try the H&B bubble if you want a bubble. Less than JoRal and a good sound, if you like it.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the Trumcor Zinger off a fellow TH reader. Another successful Marketplace transaction.

I cannot praise this mute highly enough. It's lightweight so it gets a super-quick response, but it has a depth to the sound that's similar to my heavy Jo-Ral copper bubble - but with a much more ferocious buzz when stepping on the gas. The pitch is just superb. It has a lot of "core" to the sound, in a unique way. The pitch centers in a different way than any of my other harmon-style mutes.

It has a very "solid" centered sound. For this reason, I would be hesitant to use it in a section of harmon mutes, which I would prefer to match with my Jo-Ral copper or my Emo aluminum. Those mutes have that "ethereal buzz" sound that sounds so glittery in a section.

The Zinger, on the other hand, seems to be an ideal soloist harmon. I used it on my jazz gig last Sunday and even when I played quietly I could hear my sound bounce off the back wall. It carries much further and better than the Emo. It is more in tune than the Emo as well.

The Emo is a great mute, and it served me very well for quite a while, but I am really digging the Trumcor. For now the Trumcor is my go-to for solo applications, rather than section work.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turkel Posted:

The Zinger, on the other hand, seems to be an ideal soloist harmon.

+1

Just took delivery of a Zinger. I had to add some cork to it since it doesn't fit the bell of my Schilke HC1, but I love the sound and it is very light weight.

I also have a Jo Ral Copper Bubble mute that I will keep at its original size to use on my Bach Strad. It sounds great as well. It is too heavy for light weight trumpets but works fine on a heavier horn such as the Bach Strad.

Which mute sounds better? Actually, I like them both.

Also, I really appreciate the reviews on TH. You get honest opinions here, not the word of a paid shill.

Regards,
Grits
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost or misplaced my old, high mileage Harmon from the 70s sometime in the last few weeks. Searched high and low this morning (baffled but this is how it goes sometimes), needed it tonight on a large section gig for many selections and will experience many repeats over the next year. I also do a good bit of solo with "Harmon" style and hoping this will improve the slight intonation issues from my past experiences, as many have posited on this thread. The Trumcor Zinger has been on my radar for a while, so I ordered it tonight ($30 in Amazon bucks and free shipping from Brass and Woodwind sealed the deal) so $55 and it's on the way. Thanks to TH (especially trumpet sanity) for helping me get there quickly. I'll let y'all know how the Zinger works for me.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my previous post regarding the Trumcor "Zinger", I received my Zinger just a few days after ordering!!! I have had a few opportunities to test it and, I must say, it does exactly what it is supposed to do extremely well. I especially like the buzz that it produces at low volume playing. It still projects like crazy. Great mute! If I "misplace" any of my other old school mutes, I know where to get direction. Thanks TH!!!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
As a follow-up to my previous post regarding the Trumcor "Zinger", I received my Zinger just a few days after ordering!!! I have had a few opportunities to test it and, I must say, it does exactly what it is supposed to do extremely well. I especially like the buzz that it produces at low volume playing. It still projects like crazy. Great mute! If I "misplace" any of my other old school mutes, I know where to get direction. Thanks TH!!!

I also scooped up a Zinger based on some TH reviews.

Spot on assessment. Crazy buzz EVEN at low volume. It's projects awesome and has better intonation than most harmons I've owned....no dead notes so far that I've noticed.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many weeks into my new Zinger and my old Harmon reappeared recently in a Percussion Accessories Bag from a gig I played several months ago. After swapping back and forth between the new Zinger and the old Harmon, I am split on which is my favourite (nostalgia may have a role in this regarding the Harmon). The Harmon produces a very pleasing sound like no other from low C to about the top of the staff, being more difficult, at least for me, to produce a good sound below low C down to low F#. Lots of back pressure building above the staff and lots of intonation adjustment necessary. The Zinger produces a nice but different buzz pretty much over the entire range of horn. I really like the ease of even sound production all the way to low F#, and especially above the staff without much noticeable backpressure stacking. The buzz is easy to keep going even when playing very softly. Intonation is very good and predictable all over. I will continue to carry both in my Mute Bag and use as the playing style and range requires. Glad to have both!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have advice on how any of these mutes will fit a 72 bell? I had an 80's era original Harmon mute that would fit my Strad 37 but not my Carol with a 72 bell, even after sanding the cork & then replacing it with foam.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
Does anyone have advice on how any of these mutes will fit a 72 bell? I had an 80's era original Harmon mute that would fit my Strad 37 but not my Carol with a 72 bell, even after sanding the cork & then replacing it with foam.

FWIW, The Zinger fits nicely in the bell of my Bach NY7 as well as my other horns.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Wallace Mutes. I would assume that the price, and, more so, limited availability in the US is the reason they aren't more popular here, but every one I have played has been great and the quality is top notch!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an older Emo for most uses and a Copper JoRal for some solo Jazz music.
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who posted about the Zinger back in 2016-2017, I assume you were posting about the aluminum Zinger. Who can educate me about the difference between the copper Zinger and the aluminum Zinger? Can you still get the buzz playing softly on the copper? Is the intonation the same on both? Thoughts on which one blends better in a section? Thanks.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironrabbit wrote:
For those who posted about the Zinger back in 2016-2017, I assume you were posting about the aluminum Zinger. Who can educate me about the difference between the copper Zinger and the aluminum Zinger? Can you still get the buzz playing softly on the copper? Is the intonation the same on both? Thoughts on which one blends better in a section? Thanks.

There are videos on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQSmFAEoi-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCbrzITs7E
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermokiwi, those were great. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: