• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Camelot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccb_22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Camelot Reply with quote

As someone who plays a lot of broadway shows, this site has been really helpful to me in that when I need info on an upcoming show, I can usually find a post telling me what horns I need and the range, and mutes, etc. so when I got the call for Camelot, I was surprised that I couldn't find anything. So now as I'm waiting for the show to start, I thought I would go ahead and make a post of my own.

There are two trumpet parts, and neither one does any doubling. Straight and cup mute only. Range isn't bad, just one or two high Ds. It looks like a lot of playing, and it is a long show, but there are enough adequate breaks that I don't feel fatigued at at all at the end. Being an older show, it's pretty straight forward as far as tempos and keys (1 song in Gb). It's not the most musically rewarding thing I've ever played in my life, but we have great actors and a decent orchestra so it's not bad at all. Feel free to chime in if you have any questions or anything to add.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played it - I have played excerpts from, but nothing specific to say other than the usual thing - even if the show is easy, keep a real eye on dynamics. I have played a couple shows that ended up way harder than they needed to be because I was over blowing. Oftentimes it is because you are fighting a poor monitoring acoustic, or a small pit with loud players. I'm done with using my chops on those gigs. I will play at an appropriate volume and let the mic/FOH engineer deal with the rest. Have fun!!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it here about 20 years ago. 8 shows a week for 8-9 weeks. Since it was so long ago I don't remember anything unusual in mutes or anything. I recall it being a really fun part to play. We played off stage on one side and had such a tight group I had problems convincing friends that we actually were playing live back there each night.

This was before all the cut down reduced instrumentation the same theater is using now, so I'd be hard to say even if you'll be seeing the same music I saw.

I had great time and loved the music.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's been re-orchestrated or it's just that your production can only afford 2, Camelot has 3 trumpet parts.

Of all the shows from that era of Broadway (early 60s), Camelot is my favorite. Good songs, great orchestrations, and a good story.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: