• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Microphone suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Microphone suggestions Reply with quote

I need to replace an APEX 656 wired clip-on mic. Looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. It can be a clip-on or stand mic. Not witeless (can't afford it). Looking to spend no more than $150-200. Suggestions?
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Microphone suggestions Reply with quote

Oldtrumpetguy wrote:
I need to replace an APEX 656 wired clip-on mic. Looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. It can be a clip-on or stand mic. Not witeless (can't afford it). Looking to spend no more than $150-200. Suggestions?

How about this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-pro-35-cardioid-condenser-clip-on-instrument-microphone
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Microphone suggestions Reply with quote

That is a good suggestion. My previous mic lasted 2 maybe 3 years. I never used mics prior (not my own anyway). Which would have better longevity: stand or clip-on? I like the clip on because it allows for some movement and you're not stuck on the mic. On the other hand, stand mics seem more durable. I like the mic you've suggested, though. Thank you.
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation last week. I found the following trumpet microphone shootout post:

https://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/mic-shootout-for-recording-trumet-at-home.71250/

Not being a mic expert I got the Røde NT1A that this poster liked. Its a stand mic. They are $230 or so new but I got a used on on eBay with a few extras for less than $150.

I have been using it for a few days and its a fantastic mic, much better than the $50 or so mics I was using before.

I never thought about getting a clip-on mic, the quality is often lower on those per $$ and I am sure they are less rugged as they are designed to be put on people. I play 3-4 feet from the mic which allows more movement without being as noticeable, some folks think that is too far but I like the more ambient sound.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mike on a stand is ideally at least a few feet from your bell, and off-axis (Exactly how much off axis is best with my mike I have not discovered, but prevailing wisdom seems to be between 15 and 45 degrees, so I shoot for 30)

The idea is to mike the room rather than the bell. Soundmen tend to not like this, but the volume coming out the bell is so much louder than ambient noise that it makes it workable.

Also clip-ons cause major problems with mutes! Unless you have an uber-expensive one, held way in front of the bell.
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Microphone suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks. All great suggestions. I'm leaning toward s stand mic for durability. Still would like other suggestions. Thanks.
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting two stand mics: Shure Beta 57 A and a Shure SM 57. I used the 57 A last night and it sounded so much better than the clip on I was using. In fact, the three horns in the band ditched the clip one and went with Shure mics last night. What a huge difference...in a good way. Thanks for all of your feedback. Moving forward, I will be staying with the stand mic.
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM-57 is a great all-around mic. Also useful in hand-to-hand combat. Hope you don't play at venues where that matters!

Oldtrumpetguy wrote:
I ended up getting two stand mics: Shure Beta 57 A and a Shure SM 57. I used the 57 A last night and it sounded so much better than the clip on I was using. In fact, the three horns in the band ditched the clip one and went with Shure mics last night. What a huge difference...in a good way. Thanks for all of your feedback. Moving forward, I will be staying with the stand mic.

Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: