• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you think about online trumpet lessons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveTrumpet25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: What do you think about online trumpet lessons? Reply with quote

Hello Friends of Trumpetherald!

I'm currently toying with the idea of setting up an online structured video course for teaching the fundamentals of trumpet to beginning students, whether adults or children. Obviously learning through video is no real substitute for a one-to-one teacher, but my goal is that my course would give any students a proper foundation of the basics of this amazing instrument at a fraction of the cost of real lessons, while also allowing the student to gauge whether the trumpet is an instrument they would want to go further with.

I'm undertaking some research at the moment and I wonder if you, my friends in trumpet, could fill out a quick anonymous survey answering some questions as to why you decided to learn the trumpet in the first place and what you think is most important when learning. It would only take two minutes of your time and it would really help me out.

TL:DR I want to set up a video course and would love if people would answer a short survey why they began to learn trumpet and what they find most important.

You can find the survey here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8N8HKVN

If you don't have time to take the survey, could you leave a quick comment below as to whether you think an online course is something that a beginning player would benefit from?

Thanks Trumpetherald.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not criticizing the idea, but I wonder if you would be able to charge enough to make it worthwhile? If you're considering it as more of an altruistic endeavor, that's commendable though.

Brad
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already tons of free videos on YouTube etc; so, I am not sure if anyone would actually pay you for these types of lessons.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO new players may benefit more from face to face lessons, for the same reason I never did online martial arts, an in person instructor can stop bad habits before they take root.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took lessons from a professional player in a time when online lessons didn't exist ( 1953 ). The teacher I had stood beside me and was hands on, making slight changes, and not just telling me but showing me as he played along with me. I don't think I would be the player I am today without that kind of tutoring, but I suppose online tutoring is better than no tutoring.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled out the survey. I think there is room for tutoring of this type as not everyone has access to one on one. Different times. Very different. I do, however, think that one on one if one can get it, would be a faster, more efficient method.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who messes around a bit on the harmonica (a good diversion while given my embouchure a rest) there are a lot of online teachers doing just that.

I would suggest having a look at how they have set themselves up.

Granted, harmonica teaching is a bit different as these teachers are often catering to people who do not read music, but still, it might be helpful.

A lot of them offer a set of introductory free lessons and then you pay to advance beyond those. They also offer subscription and the option of tutorials via Skype.

Some examples:

https://www.bluesharmonica.com/home

https://mitchgrainger.com/harmonica-public/

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/home.html
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

It's already been done. Check out:

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?ref=home&src=ukw&q=trumpet
www.artistworks.com
www.playwithapro.com
www.dakapp.com
www.trumpetland.com
https://www.trumpethub.com/the-5-best-online-resources-and-lessons-for-rumpet-players/

There's also a lot of videos on youtube that probably fill this area of learning. I can't speak to the quality of many of these courses, although PlayWithAPro and ArtistWorks are definitely high-quality products.

This is not to discourage you, but simply so that you're aware before you spend a lot of time creating something that might already exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: