• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need constructive critisiscm on my take on a standard!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Need constructive critisiscm on my take on a standard!! Reply with quote

So we just took "there will never be another you" in my jazz quartet a week ago and I decided to record myself play so I could listen what I was doing right and wrong, but id like for everyone elses opinion on my take on it, (note the its a backing track not the actual quartet)
https://soundcloud.com/carlos-rivera-858171284/there-will-never-be-another-you
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all constructive.

You sound like you need to learn the words and transcribe how people like Ella would sing the head. That's the most important bit, as it's what people know.

I think you over blow at times and that is why your sound and tuning has a lot of variance in it. Practice playing that head, with Ella, at mp with the same desired intensity. Same for when you solo.

When you solo I can't hear any reference to the original melody. That's something the greats do when soloing.

You need to think of time in longer phrases.

You need to have a construction or roadmap so to speak of how you want your solo arc to exist - are you building towards something? Are you making melodies that suppliment each other to create a cohesive whole?

Most importantly - you need to transcribe. On this song I can thing of many great versions:

Ella
Sonny Stitt
Stan Getz
Chet
Arturo
Wynton Kelly
Dexter Gordon
Lee Konitz
Hank Mobley

In the spirit of help...keep it up!

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement with Mike, especially in regards to your soloing. Where is the melody ? Good effort. Just take Mike's advice.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

along the same line as the previous thoughts:

Tonally, I liked your ideas - I could hear your understanding of the chord structure, etc...

Rhythmically, your vocabulary is not nearly as big. I heard a similar pattern quite often.
Reflect back on the melody, expand and modify.

Then, continue to work on fundamental of the instrument - control of making smooth connected sound, clear controlled articulation and all the other aspects of good playing.

A criticism is that you're artiuclation was unvaried.. lots of "tuts"-think about consonants in reading prose or in speach, they are not all the same and not all with the same emphasis: some t's, d's, l's, r's, etc.... This will help the connection of ideas - not "tut, tut, tut, tut", BUT "doo, baa, duh, baa, lah, weee,, vah...." (Notice that few of these syllables end with a "T").
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trolarg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
along the same line as the previous thoughts:

Tonally, I liked your ideas - I could hear your understanding of the chord structure, etc...

Rhythmically, your vocabulary is not nearly as big. I heard a similar pattern quite often.
Reflect back on the melody, expand and modify.

Then, continue to work on fundamental of the instrument - control of making smooth connected sound, clear controlled articulation and all the other aspects of good playing.

A criticism is that you're artiuclation was unvaried.. lots of "tuts"-think about consonants in reading prose or in speach, they are not all the same and not all with the same emphasis: some t's, d's, l's, r's, etc.... This will help the connection of ideas - not "tut, tut, tut, tut", BUT "doo, baa, duh, baa, lah, weee,, vah...." (Notice that few of these syllables end with a "T").

I'm not sure I follow the articulation, do I need to have softer articulation, also thanks everybody on the feedback because it really helps!!
trolarg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Ok, all constructive.

You sound like you need to learn the words and transcribe how people like Ella would sing the head. That's the most important bit, as it's what people know.

I think you over blow at times and that is why your sound and tuning has a lot of variance in it. Practice playing that head, with Ella, at mp with the same desired intensity. Same for when you solo.

When you solo I can't hear any reference to the original melody. That's something the greats do when soloing.

You need to think of time in longer phrases.

You need to have a construction or roadmap so to speak of how you want your solo arc to exist - are you building towards something? Are you making melodies that suppliment each other to create a cohesive whole?

Most importantly - you need to transcribe. On this song I can thing of many great versions:

Ella
Sonny Stitt
Stan Getz
Chet
Arturo
Wynton Kelly
Dexter Gordon
Lee Konitz
Hank Mobley

In the spirit of help...keep it up!

Best,
Mike

you are 100% right! I didn't know the words to the song and I was having a hard time visualizing how I could play it, the intensity I believe was due tu me getting closer and farther away from the mic at times but ill still work on that! Could you also elaborate on thinking of time in longer phrases?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: