• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel cornet combo case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Risden3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Flugel cornet combo case Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have been looking for a case that will hold both a flugelhorn and a Shepards crook cornet. So far the closest I have been able to find is the pro tec ipac triple case. But I don't really like the configuration that I got to work of the padded blocks. I guess it is secure enough but I would really like to find something that is a little better than secure enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
rmch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reunion Blues Continental Triple might fit your bill. At most, it'll fit two Bb trumpets and a flugel, so it'll easily fit a shepherd's crook cornet (in spite of the height or width differences those horns can have) and a flugel, with a ton of room in the third trumpet pouch for many mutes, an Arban book, a change of clothes, or a laptop. It's a good case that provides a decent amount of protection (good luck if you drop it down a flight of stairs, but it can definitely handle the normal amount of bumps and thwacks of daily life). I used it for years until I realized I needed something with backpack straps (it gets heavy with two horns and a full load of mutes, so walking around all day with that case started to become difficult). I could even smuggle it into the overhead bins on airplanes when I needed to.

I now use the Guard triple bag made for Josh Landress. It's got a little more padding than the Reunion Blues, backpack straps, and a little less space than the Reunion Blues - when configured to hold a flugel, the horn lies flat, which takes up the space of two trumpets, so if you need to bring mutes with your cornet (or trumpet) and flugel, get the additional mute pouch or wrap them in socks and pack them with the flugel (this is what I've been doing for the past six months and I haven't had any problems yet). I've packed a shepherd's crook cornet and flugel just fine in the case. I have yet to fly with it, but the dimensions seem like they'll work out.

If you need a case that will keep your horns safe if it gets hit by a bus, the Torpedo 2.5 case (I forget the name - Coyote?) would do the job. It would probably be the same configuration of how the horns sit as the Guard bag.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
1981 LA Benge ML #3 bell
1938 Couesnon Flugel
1907 HN White Co. "King" Cornet
1977 Selmer Picc
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Gard bags, both carrying and wheelies, to good use.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseman triple. It can be configured (and reconfigured) to fit all types of trumpets/cornets/flugels. Superb craftsmanship with lifetime warranty and ultimate protection!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Risden3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I've got a lot to look into. I should have mentioned this case needs to be as protective as possible that's why I started with the pro tec. I wouldn't mind weight if it was a sturdier design. Thank you again for your help. I'm off to research the suggestions now.
WillyCook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the Wiseman suggestion. The absolute finest case ever made. Bar none.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider the Stomvi models or Bags of Spain models (sold through HornGuys.com).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: