• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I've seen/heard stories of a few people who have tried GR mouthpieces, felt good on them when they tried them out, but then when they started playing them in gig situations, their endurance would take a nose dive halfway through the gig and would get to the point where they almost couldn't get a sound.

Is there some special way that these mouthpieces have to be played and in order to avoid this? In other words, backing off a little bit and drawing the lips in, like a roll in and not allowing them to protrude into the mouthpiece as much? Any light that anyone could shed on this would be appreciated. I've tried the GRs and found one that I liked, but I'm reluctant to buy one until I can have some comfort level that I'll be able to stick with it over the long term.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I've been playing a GR mouthpiece for several years, after a fitting session with Alexa Yates. The only thing I ever noticed was improvement in my playing
DrJay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I've been using GR on my horns for several years now. Endurance went way up playing lead as well as significant improvements in tuning, especially on my pic. While no one thing is for everyone, don't let haters get in your head, these are truly fabulous mouthpieces....
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that they did not have the correct fit and that will kill a player on any brand of mouthpiece. Also know that GR's are very efficient. You can actually back off a bit more than you can on other mouthpiece designs.

I have never had any customers contact me with the issues you were told about.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
I've seen/heard stories of a few people who have tried GR mouthpieces...

When you say "a few people", do you actually mean, like, one horror story from a friend or teacher? Just thought I'd check, as I've never heard that either...
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
I've seen/heard stories of a few people who have tried GR mouthpieces, felt good on them when they tried them out, but then when they started playing them in gig situations, their endurance would take a nose dive halfway through the gig and would get to the point where they almost couldn't get a sound.

Is there some special way that these mouthpieces have to be played and in order to avoid this? In other words, backing off a little bit and drawing the lips in, like a roll in and not allowing them to protrude into the mouthpiece as much? Any light that anyone could shed on this would be appreciated. I've tried the GRs and found one that I liked, but I'm reluctant to buy one until I can have some comfort level that I'll be able to stick with it over the long term.

Actually that did happen to me several years ago when, out of curiosity, I took one of my older GRs to a rehearsal with a large noisy band in a very "dead" room. (carpet, etc) . Halfway through the rehearsal my chops froze. Stopped buzzing. No sound. Going back to my "regular" mpc wasn't much help at that point.

Fast forward several years and I've recently returned to GR. What ever I was doing years ago has not happened this time. I figured out that the GR is efficient enough that I don't have to manipulate to be heard. In the past several months with Brian Scriver's advice I have purchased two new GR's. Additionally, I've gotten a GR consultation. I have no problem with dead chops and my latest GR (about a month ago) is even better than the previous ones. I blame operator error for my past transgressions. The special way to play GRs is to just relax and let the mpc work.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-glad the GR is working well for you. It was good to see you again!

I have heard of only one situation where this happened and the player (without a consult) unknowingly started playing a GR with a much lower alpha angle than his previous piece. I guess he just really liked the initial sound but without the support of the higher alpha angle his chops just gave up on him after a bit.

Even a simple looking mouthpiece is a "system" and all parts have to work for the player to get the most efficient results.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Dave-glad the GR is working well for you. It was good to see you again!

I have heard of only one situation where this happened and the player (without a consult) unknowingly started playing a GR with a much lower alpha angle than his previous piece. I guess he just really liked the initial sound but without the support of the higher alpha angle his chops just gave up on him after a bit.

Even a simple looking mouthpiece is a "system" and all parts have to work for the player to get the most efficient results.

Thanks, Scott. I highly recommend a consultation with you. You and I found the right size GR for my horn/face combo. And my friend who came with me for a consultation is loving his new found GR. Seems like I'm still having to practice, however.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
brassidol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have described sounds much more like a malfitted mouthpiece which would cause trouble no matter the brand.

Another possibility is that the player is trying to achieve a sound behind the horn that they are used to when playing their normal mouthpiece with whoever they play with. When our new equipment does not give them the same feedback we force the tone wihout knowing we are doing it.

To know whether the equipment is good. Play efficiently and then have ears in the audience or a quality recording tell you what is coming through.

I would say avoid thinking about physical things to do to play the GR. It is a mouthpiece, just play and evaluate when you are not playing.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

When you say "a few people", do you actually mean, like, one horror story from a friend or teacher? Just thought I'd check, as I've never heard that either...

Three separate sources. If I didn't see a trend, I wouldn't have asked the question. Do you want their names? I'm sure you don't know them. What do you want to argue about next, politics?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
snichols wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

Three separate sources. If I didn't see a trend, I wouldn't have asked the question. Do you want their names? I'm sure you don't know them. What do you want to argue about next, politics?

I'll wager that none of them had an in person fitting with a GR consultant. The proper fit is everything.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
matahaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

PH wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:
snichols wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

I'll wager that none of them had an in person fitting with a GR consultant. The proper fit is everything.

When I used to use GR mpcs, I had a small theory that because the mpc had been selected to fit you and the instrument, that meant that any deviation from the "best possible state" of yourself would mean a "different you" playing the instrument.. Albeit it was a theory when I was a student, and I had a great GR consultation and fit, as did the players in my school.

I had this theory because I noticed that my friends sounded great when they were in the right balance, and quite off when the balance was not there. Hence, I always tried to achieve a good balance whenever I played the GR mpcs, and I think that helped alot.

Maybe many players think that having the right fit is all there is to it, but I think finding the balance is also very important (in some cases, "to relax")..

Just my 2 cents!
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

hose wrote:

Actually that did happen to me several years ago when, out of curiosity, I took one of my older GRs to a rehearsal with a large noisy band in a very "dead" room. (carpet, etc) . Halfway through the rehearsal my chops froze. Stopped buzzing. No sound. Going back to my "regular" mpc wasn't much help at that point.

Dead rooms can do that to you. I think we unconsciously expect a certain sound feedback in any room and when we don't get it, we unconsciously blow harder. One of the orchestras I play in does concerts in a local retirement home that has one of the deadest rooms I have ever seen. I have, more than once, blown my chops out halfway through the concert. It took several times before I figured it out. Now, when I play in that room, I consciously back way off and things go well. Trust the feel, not the sound, when playing in a dead room like that. I hate that venue. The same conditions exist when playing outdoors, but at least there you don't expect the feedback.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
hose wrote:

Dead rooms can do that to you. I think we unconsciously expect a certain sound feedback in any room and when we don't get it, we unconsciously blow harder. One of the orchestras I play in does concerts in a local retirement home that has one of the deadest rooms I have ever seen. I have, more than once, blown my chops out halfway through the concert. It took several times before I figured it out. Now, when I play in that room, I consciously back way off and things go well. Trust the feel, not the sound, when playing in a dead room like that. I hate that venue. The same conditions exist when playing outdoors, but at least there you don't expect the feedback.

John

Exactly. Even after I became aware of what was happening in "that room" I had a hard time adjusting to it. It's hard to assimilate what acoustics and feedback does to our playing. So as to not hijack this thread there should be a separate thread for those of us who play in different "halls" and also with different players.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In very dead rooms it helps to go to a more lively set up. The set up should be less effort and produce more results with plenty of zip and zing.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad fitting by one consultant very early in my comeback and a good fitting by another consultant many years later.

If the player sucks, as I did then, the fitting, if given, might not have worked.

The two pieces? 66M (too big) versus 65M (just right). Such a small change....

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to a GR Carl Fischer Jazz Rockstar about a year and a half ago.
It works well for me/for what I do. It works, nothing miraculous, I don't believe any mouthpiece is.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that I can tell whether a new mouthpiece will work for me fairly soon, but it can take awhile to become fully acclimated to it, regardless of who made the piece. During the time I'm trying to get used to it, I'm careful about conserving my energy so I don't run out of gas in the middle of a performance or rehearsal. So yeah, I might back off a bit, but I wouldn't manipulate my embouchure differently.
Piccolo Stomvi
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: GR Experience Reply with quote

Great discussion about an important link in the chain for important music.

I purchased a GR63Z* for my Schilke B1 b flat trumpet after having a consultation with Pierre at Charlie Melks shop in West Allis Wisconsin. In my small jazz ensembles playing at fund raisers, country clubs, and libraries, I found this MP very satisfying with jazz swing "standards" of the 40s thru the 70s, playing the lead. I think the fit
initially was ok but I stumbled on a slight variation when I visited Dillon's
Music in NJ. So the 63Z became a 63Z*which gave me more efficiency in the upper range. I firmly believe that with any new MP, one has to work with it for the purposes you intended to use it for and keep at it. However, with the GR, I didn't really have a "break in" period as it seemed to nicely fit in with my mouth and embouchure. Now its my "daily driver" for my trumpet!

The flugelhorn situation is an ongoing saga where I'm still looking for the deepest sounding FL mp. Guess it comes down to the Flip Oaks X5FL MP
which I cannot find a used one. And Mr. Oakes only sells new and only direct with no returns possible. I tried the GR among others and they feel comfortable but without the deep sound I'm looking for. Hope I can find a used Flip Oaks X5FL "standard" model MP with a large morse (whatever that means!). Will be using it with a Wiseman 600 flugel which I'm about to take possession of.

I hope to continue this discussion with others as the opportunity presents itself. Call me if anyone wants to chat.
Regards,
Tom Kieren
Oak Ridge, NJ
Tel: 973-214-6473
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good GR mouthpiece dealers that have trials? The only I found is Dillons, which doesn't have the 64M I am looking to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: