• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why not switch diameters?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you switch inside diameter on your mouthpieces?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 35 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 65

Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops had a simple explanation for me. If I want to "practice twice as much" then work on two different diameters.

If you don't feel like your accuracy is going to suffer or that you need to put extra time in, then that may be something to consider.

It may not be a law using that Maxim but I do enjoy being able to switch from flugel to trumpet and having the diameter feel the same to my face.

If it doesn't affect you then who cares.

Somethings cannot be worked around, for example if you were performing a piccolo piece or a D trumpet piece and getting your timbre/ sound concept , etc. correct and it may not be possible with the same diameter. If that is your situation, you're practicing More anyways, to be using a different horn and then your big horn.

The audience just wants to hear good sounds.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's switching diameters and then there's switching diameters.

If you were to survey working symphonic players, you'd find that most of them use different diameter mouthpieces on C trumpet and piccolo. That's because most of us use large diameter mouthpieces on our big horns, and most of us find that those large diameter rims don't work on piccolo trumpet. Some might also use a different diameter on their commercial mouthpieces, although for me my regular diameter works just fine for that (insofar as anything I do in that department can be called "just fine").

On the face of it, that looks like switching diameters. But I would suggest that the "rule" to be derived from that behaviour is: avoid switching if you can. I use the same rim on everything except piccolo and soprano cornet. If I played a 3C on big horns, or if I never had to play piccolo or sop, I would probably keep the same rim for everything.

On the other hand, anybody who says "never ever switch" is not really looking at the whole picture. Sure, if you are playing a 5C on big horns, you probably ought to be able to do just about whatever you need to do without changing rims. And if you can play piccolo on a 1something, knock yourself out. But most people can't.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pops had a simple explanation for me. If I want to "practice twice as much" then work on two different diameters.

If you don't feel like your accuracy is going to suffer or that you need to put extra time in, then that may be something to consider.

It may not be a law using that Maxim but I do enjoy being able to switch from flugel to trumpet and having the diameter feel the same to my face.

If it doesn't affect you then who cares.

There are some players who have no problem switching diameters. I feel I have to make some adjustments if the switch is too radical. I can switch soft bite diameters that are in the sizes from .610-.590 if they are somewhat wider rims..like some MF designs and Marcinkiewicz.. and some Warburtons for jazz.

To me, I don't want to spend anymore time than necessary working on practicing adjusting to different rims that I can't play with the same ease right away. I'd rather spend that time on music. I believe a player can find a diameter that fits their chops. It doesn't even have to be so exact as shoe size. And it's more 'diameter feel' rather than actual diameter to a certain extent. Certain rims have a high point in a certain area as well as certain type of bites. These can make the actual diameter feel either bigger or smaller.

So many players could save themselves so much time if they checked out some people who have studied this extensively:
http://storkcustom.com/doctor-mouthpiece/
Www.LexSamu.com
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it isn't black and white, and it isn't about only making small adjustments. It's about what you are trying to do and what you are trying to do it on. 90% of orchestral players use a 1something on big horns and at least 90% of them use something in the 3-7 range on piccolo trumpet. Because that's what works, in practice, in the real world, on the job.

I tried. I tried like a madman to make the same rim work on big horns and on piccolo trumpet -- because an official Mouthpiece Smart Person said that that was the thing to do. It. Did. Not. Work. I am sure there are players out there using a 1E (or whatever) on piccolo trumpet but I honestly don't think I've ever met one. Phil Smith doesn't do that. Maurice André didn't do that. Sometimes, the demands of playing widely disparate styles and/or instruments make it easier to switch rims. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but if it's the right thing to do it makes everything else so much easier that switching rims is obviously and immediately worth it.
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the shape of the mouthpiece rim has a much bigger impact on switching then does the diameter. I learned very quickly in my trumpet career that I was uncomfortable with any Bach rim. Didn't matter whether it was a one and a half, a three or a 10 1/2, the inside rim edge was just too sharp and failed to support my playing. It was a fight every time I tried to play. I first found a compatible rim in the smaller diameter pieces, in particular the Jet Tone(s). It took quite a while for me to find a mouthpiece for classical because there are so few stock pieces with the flatter rim that I preferred. Thank goodness that Trent Austin came up with his beautiful TA rims. Now I use Trent's version of a Jet Tone Al Hirt A for lead and my ACB Mount Vernon 3C with a flat TA3 rim. I also use the TA3 rim on my Flugelhorn piece). The difference between the TA3 and Hirt A rim diameters is quite large, but because the rim shapes are similar (they feel the same on my chops) switching for me is seamless without loss of sound quality or endurance. However, everyone is different. Best advice: Try everything and use what works.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Sandals, professional nonsense eliminator!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: