• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FINALLY! tribute to my dear friend and teacher Vinnie Tanno

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazztoys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great player.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Even when Vinnie was in his "prime" he was still the same. I was very young when I played 4th in sections with him (he would be on lead) and he would take so many liberties with the parts that you just couldn't have a "tight" section.

He would do rips, flares, hang over, shakes whenever he felt like it. We when playing with the ghost Gene Krupa band (Don LaMond was playing drums) at the old Parker Playhouse it was the Vinnie Tanno show. Now No question EVERY solo he took was better than the next, but on lead, wow he really "personalized" the book to his own style.

He must have been perfect for that "Barbary Coast" gig that he originally went out there for. That was his thing. Sort of like an Arturo, but with great swing and bebop taste. He was more of an entertaining player who could knock you out with his feats that a real section guy like say a Tom Eeland.

Always a pleasure to hear from you. If I had more gigs I'd ask you about one of you horns, but since I lost that night club where I was for 3 years I have no place to work.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting, Chris! I'd never heard of him, but he sounds great. It's been too long since we talked. I hope all is well with you. Not playing as much myself.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:
what ever became of Bob ?

I know he had his "15 minutes" but then he just seemed to vanish.

I remember seeing him in an old issue of the Getzen Gazzette when he was with Liza.

The thing with Vinnies horn with two pipes soldered together was that it was a MINT early Burbank (with the music ledger scroll on the bell, apparently very rare) with a gorgeous anderson gold plate on it. I saw the horn before Vinnie went leadpipe "postal" on the horn and it looked like it belonged in Tiffany's window. But years of going back and fourth with the pipes took its toll on the beauty of the horn.

That was Vinnie.

May God Bless him wherever he is........

BTW Vinnie sent me to Reinhardt, he was from South Philly (Italian section)

Chris LaBarbera

Hey Chris, just seeing this now, it "only" took me 16 months to get back to you.

I knew Bob Livingood around '78-81, living in 'burbs an hour or so W of NYC. The big band he was in with my Dad rehearsed in Livingston NJ if memory serves. Don't know what Bob was up to other than that, but why am I not surprised you knew him, and probably better than I did?

Btw my Dad played a Benge with the music ledger scroll on the bell, too. He traded it in for a Bach he never played as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: