• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Took my new Getzen 390 out busking


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III - Yeah, where I am, cheap horns are almost non-existent. Maybe if I hit up a ton of garage sales or something but I'm in the land of $10 avocado toast and well ... the used horn scene isn't pretty.

I've done used horns. I'm of the "buy it new and keep it forever" school these days.

I've become highly Getzen loyal too, because dem Getzen valves.

There are lots of tempting horns on Craig's List but they're all miles and miles and miles inland.

And I don't have a car so it'd be a train ride and meeting the guy at the station and taking up a full day.

When all's said and done, if I do the used horn thing I'd be better off just going to Hornucopia and buying from them - their horns are all gone though, and as cheap or a bit cheaper than Craig's List or Starving Musician prices. That place is dangerous. A horn museum where you can buy the exhibits!
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do EBay. Kings, Reynolds, HN White and never a Bach or Olds. Too expensive. Conns are nice but getting pricey too. Easy to take chances on horns for less than $100. Local thrift store find was rare recently and I thank my wife for finding it. Also saw a nice horn at a sidewalk sale. Dealer didn't know how to tell if was any good. Passed it by. Don't need another trumpet.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Posts: 1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Richard III - Yeah, where I am, cheap horns are almost non-existent. Maybe if I hit up a ton of garage sales or something but I'm in the land of $10 avocado toast and well ... the used horn scene isn't pretty.

I've done used horns. I'm of the "buy it new and keep it forever" school these days.

I've become highly Getzen loyal too, because dem Getzen valves.

There are lots of tempting horns on Craig's List but they're all miles and miles and miles inland.

And I don't have a car so it'd be a train ride and meeting the guy at the station and taking up a full day.

When all's said and done, if I do the used horn thing I'd be better off just going to Hornucopia and buying from them - their horns are all gone though, and as cheap or a bit cheaper than Craig's List or Starving Musician prices. That place is dangerous. A horn museum where you can buy the exhibits!


My horn of choice for funky outdoor playing is a Getzen 300 cornet that I picked up for $60. It plays great with a Curry DC mouthpiece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 10282
Location: The land of GR and Getzen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never busked, but to do it one needs a new Getzen you say? Always a good reason to buy a new Getzen! They make some great stuff.

Standards, hymns, free-form original jazz; I'd think those would draw. Knowing every Disney movie soundtrack for the little kids out with their parents.

Can't have too much repertoire!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a new Getzen, you can use pretty much anything.

I agree on the repertoire - can't have too much.

I played for two hours in downtown mountain view tonight and made $9 and change. Of course everyone's had their fun on rollicking Saturday night by 9 and goes home so that may be a factor. I played from 8:30 to 10:30.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped lots of cash in cases in the 6-9 PM hours. What happens if you are out earlier?
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a few hours on the street. Families loved us. Couples just walked by. We did our usual book but only had cornet and tuba. Made for interesting versions of trad. jazz songs. Temperature was 102 degrees. That kept people away.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Grits Burgh
Veteran Member


Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 393
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard III posted:

Temperature was 102 degrees.


You are now my second greatest hero.

My greatest hero is your tuba player.

Warm regards,
Grits
_________________
Bach Stradivarius 37 (1971)
Schilke HC 1
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
A bunch of mouthpieces, none of which are the right feel, size, depth or sound - except for my Curry 3FLD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
Richard III posted:

Temperature was 102 degrees.


You are now my second greatest hero.

My greatest hero is your tuba player.

Warm regards,
Grits


Wasn't that bad in the shade. Nothing makes people stop like a tuba.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Just got back from a few hours on the street. Families loved us. Couples just walked by. We did our usual book but only had cornet and tuba. Made for interesting versions of trad. jazz songs. Temperature was 102 degrees. That kept people away.


Damn it's only in the high 90s here and I don't feel live moving.

I have to kick my own ass out of here to walk the mile to the light rail to Mountain View.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Wasn't that bad in the shade. Nothing makes people stop like a tuba.


I'd sure as hell stop for a tuba, and drop a couple bucks. Tubas are awesome.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I finally got going at 7, it's a mile walk to the light rail station and in this heat I didn't want to think about it but it wasn't bad because there was a breeze. I got to Mountain View a few minutes after 8, and there were a lot of people. I was starving and got a small package of beef jerky and a bottle of water from Easy Foods, then since there was a guitarist wandering around, I went and stood where I planned to play in the "resonating tunnel" across from West Valley Music and ate my beef jerky and drank about half of the water, then chewed (sugarless) gum to clean my mouth out.

Sure enough, the guitarist, a blonde hippy looking kid, came up and mumbled something about having to make some money, and I said he was just in time to hear my trumpet, adding as an aside that I call it "The Bum Blaster 2000". And stood my ground like any self-respecting brass player. Mr. Hippie wandered off.

I started playing at 8:30 after spending 15 minutes chewing on beef jerky and then gum and sipping water, watching tons of people go by.

I started in, and remembered that the resonating tunnel has to be used wisely. I'd been standing too far back and that makes it resonate too much. Standing right at the entrance is just right. I stayed here the whole time because I wanted to use its advantages: It helps me hear (the very many) flaws in my playing, and I don't have to blow as hard when I'm in it.

The tips came in steadily, and I worked on old stuff as well as new, discovering that Fanfare For The Common Man is really easy to play. Everyone loves 'em some Copland.

Interestingly, almost all of the $19.64 I made was made in the first hour, with only a couple of dollars coming in during that last half-hour. I wanted to play a full two hours and moved up to Easy Foods to do that last half-hour, thinking it might help because people can see me from the whole intersection, but at 10 things had gone *really* dead. So I did a couple repetitions of the "Goodnight" song from the old Lawrence Welk show and packed up.

(We kids got a kick out of that song once we came up with our own lyrics which went:

Goodnight, sleep tight, and may your dreams come true
Have a fight, every night, until you're black and blue
Until we meet again...
Have a fight, every night, 'til we fight again!)

I think I have "solved" Mountain View. I have to get there much earlier, like maybe 6. And with the walk to the train and the train itself taking an hour, I must assume I'll need to eat/drink/use the bathroom before starting in, so I need to plan on getting there a half-hour before I start playing.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interestingly, almost all of the $19.64 I made was made in the first hour, with only a couple of dollars coming in during that last half-hour. I wanted to play a full two hours and moved up to Easy Foods to do that last half-hour, thinking it might help because people can see me from the whole intersection, but at 10 things had gone *really* dead. So I did a couple repetitions of the "Goodnight" song from the old Lawrence Welk show and packed up.

(We kids got a kick out of that song once we came up with our own lyrics which went:

Goodnight, sleep tight, and may your dreams come true
Have a fight, every night, until you're black and blue
Until we meet again...
Have a fight, every night, 'til we fight again!)

I think I have "solved" Mountain View. I have to get there much earlier, like maybe 6. And with the walk to the train and the train itself taking an hour, I must assume I'll need to eat/drink/use the bathroom before starting in, so I need to plan on getting there a half-hour before I start playing.
_________________


That's awesome. I learned something yesterday. And I'm impressed that you are doing it alone. We played for two hours and I was shot. I didn't think about it being all me. Whether I'm playing melody or support for the tuba lead or him singing, I never get to rest. Great experience though. We had fun and will do it again.

Alex, you have inspired all of us.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky having a tubist to play with. I once met, there on Castro street, a pair of guys, one playing a new cheapo red baritone sax he'd just bought and the other guy on a little snare drum, and it'd be great to play with those guys but I only saw them that one time.

Do you ever get your French horn out? Those are cool.

And just so there are no misunderstandings, I am *not* a good trumpet player. Not yet anyway. But I feel this paid practice will help me improve a lot faster than otherwise, and well, it's paid.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grits Burgh
Veteran Member


Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 393
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard III posted:

Alex, you have inspired all of us.


+1

Tomorrow there is a farmer's market nearby. I think I'll dig out my trusty Roland BA-330 and Schilke trumpet and have a go.

The folks around here are partial to country music and southern gospel. My jazz standards might be a tough sell. I think I'll try to use a lot of Dixieland and see how that goes over. I'm not going to pass the hat, so I won't give you an update on money. I just want practice a few tunes and see if I can connect with this particular crowd.

Warm regards,
Grits
_________________
Bach Stradivarius 37 (1971)
Schilke HC 1
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
A bunch of mouthpieces, none of which are the right feel, size, depth or sound - except for my Curry 3FLD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
You're lucky having a tubist to play with. I once met, there on Castro street, a pair of guys, one playing a new cheapo red baritone sax he'd just bought and the other guy on a little snare drum, and it'd be great to play with those guys but I only saw them that one time.

Do you ever get your French horn out? Those are cool.

And just so there are no misunderstandings, I am *not* a good trumpet player. Not yet anyway. But I feel this paid practice will help me improve a lot faster than otherwise, and well, it's paid.


Addressing the horn question, I play it all the time in community band. I also play it in another informal band just for fun. For jazz, I play a King marching horn that's in Bb playing the F part. Bell front so easier to hear. I can do a horn meets trombone role in jazz. The next time we go out and play, I'm taking the King. I can play forever on it and not get tired. Plus the extended range that a horn gives you means I can do the bass part when my partner is doing lead. People think its cool because they never see anything like it. And it, like the tuba, makes people stop and talk and listen.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 1190
Location: Amador County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The folks around here are partial to country music and southern gospel. My jazz standards might be a tough sell. I think I'll try to use a lot of Dixieland and see how that goes over. I'm not going to pass the hat, so I won't give you an update on money. I just want practice a few tunes and see if I can connect with this particular crowd.


I live in an area that's all guitar and country and roots Americana. Dixie stands out. We also do vocals and my tuba player sings. People seemed to enjoy our version of Alcoholic Blues.
_________________
Richard

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
King 1122 Marching French Horn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can miss with Dixieland. Everyone loves it. Remember that it's the music that took over the world back in the 1920s, a time where mainstream society was extremely biased against the people who invented it, and yet it was so powerful that it overcame that.

The plunger mute idea is a suggestion I've not forgotten, but two problems: Firstly, my arms are not super long and I think it will be much more comfortable for me on a cornet. Secondly, if you're playing with a plunger mute, how do you keep the 3rd valve slide from sliding out on its own and staying out? I'm almost wondering if I should have a rubber band handy to hold it in.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
delano
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1234
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busking? This is busking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8ZO5P9yzQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1jazzyalex
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 437
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but really, THIS is busking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfql_K03yJ4

That sound is not doctored or processed. He sounds THAT good right out there on the sidewalk. I've seen/listened to him in person and he's just really, really, good. Makes his own equipment for the most part too - I mean he doesn't make his guitars and drums but there's all kinds of rigging and the guy's a mad inventor.
_________________
Getzen 390
Kanstul bugle in G
A growing collection of mouthpieces
~Working towards that round, pear-shaped sound~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group