• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The one...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

Nope; I'm done.

HAHAHA
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Nope; I'm done.

HAHAHA

Still done.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of Herseth in his studio. Certainly far more than 1 mouthpiece. Pretty cool

https://youtu.be/K4WiO5wwKig

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed your video Jayson. Hope you've found "the one"!

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:
Here's a video of Herseth in his studio. Certainly far more than 1 mouthpiece. Pretty cool

Ha! A couple of years ago, I visited my college roommate from 1969. After sitting in his studio for a few minutes catching up on life, he marched out many classic horns from years past including one of Al Hirt's old horns complete with photos of Al Hirt and himself over the years. He also produced a box (not small) of mouthpieces that have been his favourites over many decades including one of mine from at least 30 years ago. After a while he produced one of my old horns that, after playing a bit and much diplomacy, made the trip home with me.

I was one of the "lucky" players that never went on the mouthpiece or horn safari, though I tried a few mouthpieces during my teen years before finding the right one back in 1972, which was the Reeves 1S695 (I mostly played Big Band lead and Latin bands back then). I have played the Reeves 41 rim (the successor to the #1) ever since! I use different bottoms depending on the music requirements, but the 41 Rim stays the same. After many years of playing, I have developed what another Trumpet player friend has called "topography" on my upper lip which fits the 41 perfectly, so changing has never been a thought. I feel the same way about horns and I still have and play most of the horns that I have ever owned. If it works, why mess with it?
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Enjoyed your video Jayson. Hope you've found "the one"!

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:

Ha! A couple of years ago, I visited my college roommate from 1969. After sitting in his studio for a few minutes catching up on life, he marched out many classic horns from years past including one of Al Hirt's old horns complete with photos of Al Hirt and himself over the years. He also produced a box (not small) of mouthpieces that have been his favourites over many decades including one of mine from at least 30 years ago. After a while he produced one of my old horns that, after playing a bit and much diplomacy, made the trip home with me.

I was one of the "lucky" players that never went on the mouthpiece or horn safari, though I tried a few mouthpieces during my teen years before finding the right one back in 1972, which was the Reeves 1S695 (I mostly played Big Band lead and Latin bands back then). I have played the Reeves 41 rim (the successor to the #1) ever since! I use different bottoms depending on the music requirements, but the 41 Rim stays the same. After many years of playing, I have developed what another Trumpet player friend has called "topography" on my upper lip which fits the 41 perfectly, so changing has never been a thought. I feel the same way about horns and I still have and play most of the horns that I have ever owned. If it works, why mess with it?

Yep. Thanks. Still only have the one...the same one.

And, Greg Black and his pieces are just amazing. He must be a wizard or something, because it seems like it would have taken one to end my safari, but he did it!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I have a confession to make. I only own one mouthpiece. In fact, for about the last two months, I've only owned one mouthpiece. I have no desire to buy another mouthpiece, ever, unless I need something more specialized one day.

If you happen to be curious, I'm on a Greg Black 3CD/25/9

One day I'd like to be back in that place. I think that if I ever stop playing in a setting where I'm looking to get that bright, cutting sound, I may eventually get to a place where I can find one mouthpiece and stick with it - that's what I did years ago, and I did some of my best playing at that point in my life.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Uh oh...the one in the Marketplace?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
Uh oh...the one in the Marketplace?

Yes. I still say it's a great piece. I'm trying to go a little more efficient still and the 25/9 setup is a bit more open that I want right now.

Cheers!
J.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you gone to Greg's standard 7 backbore, standard #27 drill, or both? (Really hard to beat Greg's standards)
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Nope; I'm done.

HAHAHA

Still done.

I'll say yet again...

HAHAHA
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness... you might as well say that there is no such thing as "the one." A mouthpiece is a tool...it's not a lifelong marriage. We try to make it that, always looking for the best combination, but in truth, if we let that mentality go, and realize that it's okay to use different mouthpieces for different things, we can move forward.

And we all know that if you find "the one," you'll just be switching a couple of months later!

Give Parke a try, BTW.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
So have you gone to Greg's standard 7 backbore, standard #27 drill, or both? (Really hard to beat Greg's standards)

No, I'm actually on something right now that's radically different than anything else I've ever played.

I'm a full-time grad student (in Seminary, not in a music field), I just can't play the horn every day, and I'm only playing in my church orchestra right now. Most of the stuff we play is more in line w/ a commercial sound than a classical sound. The other trumpet player I play with is on a vintage Benge 3X MLP+ and a Reeves 43M/69. Our trombone players are on more commercial setups also.

Greg's shallower stuff didn't work for me, too high of an alpha angle.

I'm playing a Patrick 81M right now, which is pretty phenomenal. When I saw it my first reaction was that I'd never be able to play that thing. What's amazing (besides the fact I can play it) is the sound. It's not overly bright or strident. Just a big, beautiful, brilliant, resonating tone. Not to mention it's lightyears easier to play than anything else I've had.

For the times I need a more classical sound, I got a very good deal on a ReesePiece which, honestly, even though it's supposed to be bigger plays a little easier for me than the GB 3CD, and because of the rim shape feels better on my face when switching between it and the Patrick.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that I am able to understand a thread like this but 'the one' can be considered as blasphemy, right?
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
cheiden wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
Now, I simply hope I can use the information I've learned trying nearly every mouthpiece under the sun in the 1-1.5C diameter range while I'm playing on my magic mouthpiece w/ a "3" diameter.

And if the specs are right it appears to be a small-ish 3C at 0.650". My favorite comparator puts the standard Bach 3C at 0.665" with the stock Bach 1.5C measuring 0.670".

I'd probably love it. Haven't ventured into an underpart that compares to the 25 drill and 9 (~Bach 24) backbore yet, but I'm curious to try it.

Congrats on the suspension of your safari.

It feels similar to a ACB 3C (not the MV one), and a Pickett 4 in diameter. I haven't tried a regular Bach 3C in a while, but it's similar to a Yamaha 14C4 I tried along the way. The rim contour is similar to the GR 3 rim but slightly smaller. The GR 3 is almost where I stopped, but I just felt like I could go a little smaller. I kept wanting to get a hold of a GR e65, but I ended up trying this Greg Black and I haven't looked back.

The 9 backbore is smaller than a 24. Greg says that his 10 is more in line with a 24. This has a similar shape, but is smaller overall. I find it gives a great tone while being very efficient. The blow/sound-shape reminds me a little of the Pickett 10-2.

I meant to include this earlier. Here are a few notes on it, from a little over a month ago. This isn't polished, and there are a few fluffs, but I was waiting on a kid to show up for a lesson and decided to record a few things to see how it sounded up front. Just iPad mic and the camera app, nothing fancy.

Link

Funny that's the piece you played I'm currently working on it as well. I am also mouthpiece shopping hopefully will have similar results. Thanks again for sharing.

JJ
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

AwesomeDad wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
cheiden wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
Now, I simply hope I can use the information I've learned trying nearly every mouthpiece under the sun in the 1-1.5C diameter range while I'm playing on my magic mouthpiece w/ a "3" diameter.

And if the specs are right it appears to be a small-ish 3C at 0.650". My favorite comparator puts the standard Bach 3C at 0.665" with the stock Bach 1.5C measuring 0.670".

I'd probably love it. Haven't ventured into an underpart that compares to the 25 drill and 9 (~Bach 24) backbore yet, but I'm curious to try it.

Congrats on the suspension of your safari.

It feels similar to a ACB 3C (not the MV one), and a Pickett 4 in diameter. I haven't tried a regular Bach 3C in a while, but it's similar to a Yamaha 14C4 I tried along the way. The rim contour is similar to the GR 3 rim but slightly smaller. The GR 3 is almost where I stopped, but I just felt like I could go a little smaller. I kept wanting to get a hold of a GR e65, but I ended up trying this Greg Black and I haven't looked back.

The 9 backbore is smaller than a 24. Greg says that his 10 is more in line with a 24. This has a similar shape, but is smaller overall. I find it gives a great tone while being very efficient. The blow/sound-shape reminds me a little of the Pickett 10-2.

I meant to include this earlier. Here are a few notes on it, from a little over a month ago. This isn't polished, and there are a few fluffs, but I was waiting on a kid to show up for a lesson and decided to record a few things to see how it sounded up front. Just iPad mic and the camera app, nothing fancy.

Link

Funny that's the piece you played I'm currently working on it as well. I am also mouthpiece shopping hopefully will have similar results. Thanks again for sharing.

JJ

Smooooth!!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I confess: I do own more than one mouthpiece. I think we all do. Some are from years ago, some are safari experiments that just never got re-sold, and one is for outdoors when I have to play in inclement weather.

The one: Bach 3C with a 76 backbore. I have another thread on my safari elsewhere. I don't have to worry about how to warm up, fiddle with gap, be overly concerned with intonation apart from the usual suspects, tone, breath support, comfort, endurance, etc. I just play.

I came to this mouthpiece from three directions: my old 3C from high school, which was not focused enough anymore and started losing endurance and intonation; a Yammy Shew Jazz which a really liked, but ended up being too tight a backbore and caused intonation quirks; and an early Selmer 7D which was just a hair smaller in diameter than a 3C, but had the same cup depth as my 3C and had the 76 backbore which I really liked the "blow." So I took the plunge and bought a 3C/76 from a fellow forumite and never looked back.

My band director friend of decades of experience whose specialty is beginning band and fitting horns to players gave me invaluable advice and feedback throughout the safari.

I think that is the goal, at least for all of us community band/occasional players: after experimentation and consultation with a knowledgable instructor, settle on one and practice, practice, practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: