• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whats your plan for 2017?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF_in_NY

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goals for 2017

1. Establish (and stick to) a daily practice routine

2. Join a community concert band in the fall

I've been slowly working on my skills/chops using Lowell Little's Embouchure Builder and Arban (via the Bolvin manual). Made great progress so far, but still a little way to go before I'll be comfortable playing with others. The local community band starts their year in September, so that's my goal.
jsample

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long tones daily and regular playing in church. Its easiest for me to keep up the lip when I have a couple of sessions with young players from church each week.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
1) Continue to expand my repertoire of jazz standards (looking to learn minimum 50 more tunes this year, with emphasis on bebop era)

2) Expand my facility with melodic minor & the associated modes

3) More trumpet/vocal jazz performances with the girlfriend

4) Purchase a pocket trumpet for camping and travel this summer

5) Continue to play in such a way as to cause the audience to feel joyful swing

6) Never pass up an opportunity to play with and learn from other musicians

Welp, we're halfway through the year. Time for an audit!

1) I'm well on track to meet this goal, although I've been focusing more on etudes and pattern work than I had anticipated

2) I am about 25% where I expected to be on this

3) Done! We have a few shows booked for the rest of the summer.

4) Bought one and sold it - Turns out I can't play the pocket due to a wrist injury.

5) Heck yes, doing that

6) Heck yes, doing that. Particularly interested in starting a trio with a bass and guitar player, wish me luck.

Cheers, I hope that you are all doing well on your 2017 goals!
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Whats your plan for 2017? Reply with quote

Half year audit - ok!
I started working on the Bill Knevitt Crash Course and have stuck to it every day which has helped my playing no end.
Range wise I'm squeaking out a D above the staff - on a good day.
The jazz standards/ improv has not been so good. I joined a brass band last year and learning the tunes for that has been a challenge - my reading was rusty as hell. But I'm catching up!
In between all this is learning a lot from this forum, trying stuff out and taking what's useful and discarding the rest.
The main thing is I'm a better player than my original post here in January.
Thanks for the update Turkle!

Anthony Miller wrote:
As a comeback player I'm working away at my lesson plan/ method and pleased with the way it's going. After the initial burst of adrenaline at playing again after 20 years or so I'm settling into a routine and starting to level out. This year I'd like to build my range to C above the staff - I can play an 'A' above the staff comfortably better than 20 years ago!! And my other aim for the year is to learn a minimum of 6 jazz standards - chord changes, melody - and start to brush up on my improvisation skills. So what about you? Any goals for this new year?
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Trickg's goals, with the exception of number 4 - DRUMMING? What are you thinking?

My first goal is to get as far as possible through Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice - maybe a new lesson every other month.

My second goal is to increase the number of performances, mainly at church but I would like to start busking. The busking is for practice, for pure joy and for learning to connect to audiences.

Finally, I want to improve on my ability to improvise.

Warm regards,
roy
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comebackcornet wrote:
I have a bunch of books I am working through, and many more I would like to get to. However one concrete goal is to make it all the way through the Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities. I can play #31 now (just barely) so I think this is a good goal that I could possibly achieve.

Mid-Year update. Well first, I did not change my goal of being able to play the entire Bai Lin book, but I did change how I am working towards that. I have started practicing out of the Irons book consistently as an alternative to Bai Lin (Irons 3-4 x per week, Bai Lin 2x per week). The last practice session of the day I do a progression through either Irons or Bai Lin exercises. I am just getting to the point where I can consistently do Irons 21&22 up to an E (or sometimes only an Eb) at the end of the day.

So I think I am well on my way. My goal is to start on the Colin book for 2018.
Trumpetguy74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 plan is to find some people to play with - just moved to a new town and left all my gigs, my quintet, etc. In the meantime, lots of basics.
oregonmac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 2017 winding down, I’m pretty happy with progress. I have a jazz improvisation teacher lined up and a few gig prospects. Guess we ought to start a 2018 goals thread!
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here we are at the end of the year. Great progress made here. Found Bill Knevitt's Crash Course book at LaTorre Music about a year ago. This method suits me very well and I spend a couple of weeks on each lesson. Covers most aspects of playing - Wind Power, Upper Register, Lip Flexibility, Velocity studies, Articulations and finishing with a Hering Etude. I've stuck at it methodically every day - even on holiday - and my playing has improved 110%. I also joined a community brass band playing solo cornet. Practise once a week and concerts throughout the year. My reading has improved. Upper register wise my goal was a comfortable C above the staff (I'm getting there!!). Knevitt's routine has me playing to Eb above the staff which is 'stellar' for me and great for my confidence. My jazz impro took a back seat but I have a couple of Real Books as Xmas gifts and want to get stuck into those next year. I'm loving playing again after my 20-year holiday and look forward to every day's practise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: