• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

French Besson International (Kanstul)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oceans11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: French Besson International (Kanstul) Reply with quote

I recently bought my daughter, which is in her 4th year playing, a used Fr. Besson International trumpet, USA made by Kanstul, as a step up horn. I had heard that this was a great horn that plays like a pro one. Have to say that the horn does play fantastic! After a bit of inspection I was a bit surprised on some of the marking on the horn. for one, on the 2nd valve, it has 462 stamped just above the "made in USA", which signifies a large bore. It also has an A stamped on the bell tail, and a star under the Besson name on the Bell. The horn also has the amado water keys vs. the conventional ones. These marking usually are in line with the Marvin Stamm Besson Models, I would've thought that an intermediate trumpet would come in a large bore, or have the bell type showing. I myself in my arsenal do have a Fr. Besson 92BA, and by comparing the two horns They do look and play identical to one another. wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Where the Internationals customized by Kanstul? I think I might have actually bought another 92BA, but was advertised as an International.
L.A. Benge pocket trumpet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugelhorn
1968 Olds Ambassador cornet
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
1957Olds 0-20 valve trombone
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was part of old stock or close outs that Kanstul used and stenciled "International" on the horn. But in fact it might be an old Stamm model Besson?

With the stamping you described, and the .462 bore that would be my bet. Zig was not one known for wasting anything.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. I have an International as well. The bell reads this:
F. BESSON
International Series
USA

other than that, the only other marking is a serial number. I know its a Kanstul horn and not a boosey one, like the 1000 series (still a good horn!) This is a .460 bore though. Perhaps this is an earlier iteration of the international series?
Oceans11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That last post by AJCARTER pretty much confirms that I Have a 92BA and not the International! The bell on this horn has the Kanstul stamp followed by"FRENCH BESSON" and the star underneath that. I'm guessing sinse the seller didn't have the extra accessories that normaly would have come with the 92BA, and not being familiar with the model they really had, they assumed it was an International. My personal 92BA has a 4 digit s.n. while my daughter's has the 5 digit. To be honest, when we first received the horn and gave it a whirl, I was thinking that we must have really gotten one of the better ones. It really plays really fine, all's well that ends well!
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
rlk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
F. BESSON
International Series
USA

Are you sure? I was told that the glyph above the word BESSON was actually the letter 'B' in Besson-logo script. It could be a 'K' tweaked to look like the Besson logo, but I can't see the letter 'F' in there.

My understanding is that Kanstul made a "French Besson" and a "Besson International", two very different horns, and there is/was no such thing as a "French Besson International"

At least that's what I remember hearing.

RLK
Oceans11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it is a B in script...... What I stated in my post was that the bell reads "FRENCH BESSON" and not 'INTERNATIONAL". but was sold as (and I thought I was buying) an International. So I really got a bonus buy!
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember trying those years ago, didn't one have an "A" bell and the other option was a "B" bell? One was more focused and tighter than the other as I recall.
Oceans11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Mine has the A bell.
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlk wrote:
AJCarter wrote:
F. BESSON
International Series
USA

Are you sure? I was told that the glyph above the word BESSON was actually the letter 'B' in Besson-logo script. It could be a 'K' tweaked to look like the Besson logo, but I can't see the letter 'F' in there.

My understanding is that Kanstul made a "French Besson" and a "Besson International", two very different horns, and there is/was no such thing as a "French Besson International"

At least that's what I remember hearing.

RLK

The glyph is above everything I typed. I can promise that is what is written, and that it is Kanstul made, as I've tested other Kanstul horns where the valves feel and sound the same. I'm out of town right now, but will be happy to try and post a picture when I return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: