• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I change my embouchure?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I change my embouchure? Reply with quote

kvothe wrote:

But yeah. I don't have a flipping clue what to do.

Lots and lots of lip slurs. Play soft, and don't force the upward breaks... bend it up and it will change.

The longer you do these (not in one day, please) the easier they get and your mouthpiece MIGHT move. Might not. If it does, don't fight it and talk with your teacher about it. Talk with your teacher about downsizeing the diameter if you play a huge piece; you can still get a good tone on something smaller. Maybe you have a 3C; I personally never liked them. A used Schilke 14 might be a better match. Might not.

But playing the lip slurs at a mezzoforte (don't light it up) with a good tone, don't force it, let the air fall out of the lungs (a metaphor!) will not cause your teacher to drop you. I like Bai Lin but Irons is good too, or what you find in Arbans... or just make them up!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it sounds like the OP needs to be willing to play good and strong, to develop an upper register. Bill Adam talked about mpc pressure being ok as long as there was as much energy in your sound. Maybe you need some pressure, and volume, to develop the knack of playing in the upper register? I certainly did.

I agree with those saying develop what you've got, and forget all about changing your embouchure. Proper mechanics work wonders!
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if you are playing the way you describe, there is nothing wrong with your embouchure. Definitely do not change your embouchure. Embouchure technique is very subtle, and sometimes you just need a couple small tweaks to your approach that could make a huge difference.

I haven't seen or heard you play, so I have no idea what you're actually doing, but from what you've described, it's possible you may be playing less efficiently than you could be. Now, when I talk about efficiency, I mean getting the most for the energy you're putting into your sound production.

Having studied a lot in the commercial side of things, I had to learn the importance of aperture control. Basically, if the space between your lips gets too open and big it makes it harder to play high. Sounds simple, but it's true. If you take a balloon and fill it with air, and hold the end, it makes that squeaky noise. If you blow it up and just let it go, you get whoopee cushion sound (and the balloon flies around the room). Goofy example I realize, but the same concept holds true with trumpet, minus the flying around the room of course.

Because orchestral players have to produce such big, broad sounds in the low and middle register, becoming too "spread" can become very easy. This can limit the range and inhibit endurance.

Quiet playing is good for aperture efficiency and control, but it must be balanced with practice at other volumes, especially if you're not doing performances with a lot of loud high playing (like a lead player might).

There are exercises I did to help me with my embouchure spreading issues, but I am afraid to share them on here because without the proper direction, they could do more harm than good. This is not stuff you tell people to do willy-nilly over the internet.

If you're in Michigan, you might look up Bill Lucas of the Detroit Symphony and take some lessons with him. He'd probably be a good guy to talk to for you because he is a very efficient player who is doing what you want to do. He helped me, as a matter of fact, with similar issues when I was younger. You might also contact Chris LaBarbera, who is an excellent commercial player, for a Skype lesson on efficiency. Chris is also one of the most efficient players I know and his skills will rub off on you. Where in Michigan are you? I grew up in Ann Arbor.

Anyway, keep on keepin' on and keep your eye on the goal, but enjoy the journey. It definitely takes time and patience is a virtue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: