• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo straight mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Piccolo straight mute Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm in need of a straight mute for piccolo, specifically for the end of Petrushka. Does anyone have suggestions of good piccolo mutes and ones that are especially loud and piercing for pieces like Petrushka? I've heard good things about the trumcor ones, and I love the ones I have for my big horns.

Thanks,
Patrick
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with a Jo-Ral. Just make sure you shave the corks to get the optimum effect. Until I did it sounded utterly unimpressive. Don't have enough experience to say if it's any louder than other options.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a jo-ral that works nice, but I would rather buy a brass bottom one some day.

Tom Crown makes a good one, and trumcor is very popular as well. I've also hear the best brass piccolo mute is gaining some fans lately. Cheiden is correct though: on the JoRal or Tom crown, make sure you adjust the corks for your horn.
Steve Sperry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Wick for my picc work. It has a nice sound to it.
Olds Clark Terry Bb
Schilke E3L
Bach 229 25H
Kanstul cct920s
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Reeves' 43 m/s
Haefner 1HX
Stork 5p
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I know, myself included, have switched to the Trumcor piccolo straight mute with a copper bottom.

Try one - you'll see for yourself why.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Humes and Berg metal one. (Yes, the cheap red/white mute people.) It is painted red/white, but is a metal mute. Take the foam band off of the top, it is much better. Also, sanding the corks slightly to adjust to your horn...

It is probably the loudest, most raucous mute I have ever tried - which is really what you want for a lot of things (like Pictures). George Vosburgh recommended it to me and it has surprised everyone who has tried it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
I have a jo-ral that works nice, but I would rather buy a brass bottom one some day.

Tom Crown makes a good one, and trumcor is very popular as well. I've also hear the best brass piccolo mute is gaining some fans lately. Cheiden is correct though: on the JoRal or Tom crown, make sure you adjust the corks for your horn.

Stock, mine stuck out really far and was essentially useless. Had to take the corks down pretty far to get a really distinctive tone on my Kanstul 920.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own all of those, but the TrumCor is by far the best.

Dave Hickman
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
AJCarter wrote:

Stock, mine stuck out really far and was essentially useless. Had to take the corks down pretty far to get a really distinctive tone on my Kanstul 920.

Well, better that than too thin. The corks should *always* be adjusted for a new mute. Out of the box, they're made to be usable with a lot of different bell profiles. I'm always a bit surprised when I see somebody using a mute with pristine corks, especially a cup mute that sticks out an inch or more.
trumpetpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I'll order the trumcor, but surely it won't be the last one I buy. One can never have enough mutes!
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually prefer the all-copper Tom Crown (gotta file the corks down a lot). I like the TrumCor, but it isn't the right sound for everything. Usually I wind up thinking it's too open and not buzzy enough, especially if the piccolo is substituting for a big trumpet.

For modern stuff, purpose written for picc with straight, (ie Ades' Asyla), the Trumcor seems to sound about perfect.

Last edited by trombahonker on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
...I'm always a bit surprised when I see somebody using a mute with pristine corks, especially a cup mute that sticks out an inch or more.

I routinely rant about that. A cup that sticks out too far sounds more like a wonky sounding straight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: