• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beater Horn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Beater horn Reply with quote

Conn Director cornet, King 600 cornet/trumpet would all be great beater horns.

If you don't care about dents,pings or lacquer loss many choices out there for under $70 dollars. There are many lower priced cornets/trumpets listed on shopgoodwill. http://shopgoodwiil.com

Shaye Cohn of Tuba Skinny plays well with a beater horn.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some great deals on Getzen Eternas on EBAY right now.. Can't really go wrong with those.. I'd get one myself but my next horn is.. a LYNNZHORN! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
mr_evertonia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Conn Director cornet, King 600 cornet/trumpet would all be great beater horns.

If you don't care about dents,pings or lacquer loss many choices out there for under $70 dollars. There are many lower priced cornets/trumpets listed on shopgoodwill. http://shopgoodwiil.com

Shaye Cohn of Tuba Skinny plays well with a beater horn."

my favorite answer so far ... thanks Jon, I spotted a couple of King 601's and am bidding. I agree about Shaye Cohn, she's one of my favorite players around town, complete mastery of a cup mute.

Thanks to all for the advice, I don't want to spend much, this is a wonderful city but the likelihood of damage to, or theft of an instrument is always high. I like the idea of the leadpipe and love the sound of the Ambassador but that $100 instrument will suddenly become a lot more valuable. As for taking my Eclipse out with me .... ummm no. I did it one time and had several comments about obvious value of the instrument.....

Simon
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Beater horn Reply with quote

Recently bought a Bach CR 300 cornet off shopgoodwill for $55.00 dollars included shipping. It was labeled as a Bundy cornet. After adjusting the valve guides correctly, it is a great sounding horn.

Isn't the idea of busking to look like you need donations? If you look to rich, you don't get donations.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beater Horn Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
mr_evertonia wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy to use as a 'beater' horn, I live in new Orleans and do a fair bit of street / parade playing and there's no way I'm going to take my Eclipse out on those kinds of gigs ... Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I might pick up cheaply to use for this kind of work?

I had this very issue when I was younger - after going through what you are for many years I decided to use my 'good' horn all the time.

Stop worrying about it and just use what your comfortable with for everything. It's not a piece of jewelry - it's a trumpet that's meant to be played!!!

Even though I'm always cautious with my horns, I've sort of come to the same conclusion. Unless I have a gig where I think the chances of horn damage are really high, I use whichever horn I think best suits the job...or in many cases, to be honest, whichever one I feel like using.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Beater Horn Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Bill Blackwell wrote:
mr_evertonia wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy to use as a 'beater' horn, I live in new Orleans and do a fair bit of street / parade playing and there's no way I'm going to take my Eclipse out on those kinds of gigs ... Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I might pick up cheaply to use for this kind of work?

I had this very issue when I was younger - after going through what you are for many years I decided to use my 'good' horn all the time.

Stop worrying about it and just use what your comfortable with for everything. It's not a piece of jewelry - it's a trumpet that's meant to be played!!!

Even though I'm always cautious with my horns, I've sort of come to the same conclusion. Unless I have a gig where I think the chances of horn damage are really high, I use whichever horn I think best suits the job...or in many cases, to be honest, whichever one I feel like using.

Brad

I agree though I'll exempt pep band and marching band from that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Used eterna for $500 and forget everything else.

Regards

HAH!

Mid-60s Buescher Aristocrat. Half the price, twice the horn.

(Half the price is accurate. Twice the horn? Never played an Eterna.)

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
giakara wrote:
Used eterna for $500 and forget everything else.

Regards

HAH!

Mid-60s Buescher Aristocrat. Half the price, twice the horn.

(Half the price is accurate. Twice the horn? Never played an Eterna.)

Tom

I remember a story back in 2009 , my mate in Athens big band had a trip to van laar shop and got a brand new sparkling 3100€ gold plated CF model that he and I also real liked , at the same time he get a old Severinsen eterna from ebay for 250 € and one day we had a gig and he comes with the eterna, I ask him why you did get the CF and he told me that some times the eterna plays for him the same or better .........

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to find a newer US Holton T602 for less than $200. I had one that was in great shape I won for about $60.

I gave it away, and recently found myself wanting a nicer beater for outdoor gigs, etc. I found a newer version Silver Flair in very good condition, it's an under rated horn that doesn't command a premium.
operagost
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use a brass bell director. The Coprion models cost about 25% more, but they're worth it. Rounder tone, better feedback.

Yamaha YTR-232, 2320, 2335 are also good. Nice volume on the street.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_evertonia wrote:

If you don't care about dents,pings or lacquer loss many choices out there for under $70 dollars. There are many lower priced cornets/trumpets listed on shopgoodwill. http://shopgoodwill.com

Simon

Fixed the URL for ya, the current one takes me to a car sales site ... probably run by a guy who thinks he's good, named Wiil.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street performing in New Orleans means you are playing trad jazz, right?
Why not get a vintage Conn 80A for a few hundred bucks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: