• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing valves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: valves Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Alan:

Good to hear that, but the Kanstul valve issue, as I stated, has been a topic on this forum a number of times. They still make great horns, I'd just never buy one unless I knew the valves weren't going to be an issue.

They do come up, but usually it's a case of valves that are a little too tightly fit. The other end of things can reduce the amount of resonance that transfers through the horn. If there is going to be slight error in tolerances, I'd rather put up with a short time of inconvenience and enjoy long years of wonderful sound. I'm guessing Zig Kanstul made a similar choice.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shofarguy wrote:
One of my two ... both had one tight valve each that gave me trouble for about 18 months.

Any horn that takes that long would not remain in my stable. In my opinion valves should just work when I get the instrument.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Shofarguy wrote:
One of my two ... both had one tight valve each that gave me trouble for about 18 months.

Any horn that takes that long would not remain in my stable. In my opinion valves should just work when I get the instrument.

That's fine, Rusty. I only play my flugelhorns periodically, not daily. So, for me, the time period was a little annoying, but the problem wasn't debilitating. When they turned good, they were easily better than all but one set of valves I've come across of any make. Only my rebuilt Benge valves were better and only in the feel not performance. The flugelhorn I have now has had fantastic valves from the get-go.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago, I bought a used WT flugel. I did have trouble with the valves, they were hanging up wouldn't pass the length of the cylinders. I'm a brass tech and actually fitted valves in new Schilkes at one time. I determined that there was some build-up of schmutzig at the bottom of the stroke so I dissassembled the pistons and lapped the valves using the same garnett non-imbedding compound that we used at Schilke's. Problem solved. I don't think that the problem was caused by Flip or Kanstul, rather it was caused by the previous owner's lack of maintenance in conjunction with the tight fit of the valves.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Some years ago, I bought a used WT flugel. I did have trouble with the valves, they were hanging up wouldn't pass the length of the cylinders. I'm a brass tech and actually fitted valves in new Schilkes at one time. I determined that there was some build-up of schmutzig at the bottom of the stroke so I dissassembled the pistons and lapped the valves using the same garnett non-imbedding compound that we used at Schilke's. Problem solved. I don't think that the problem was caused by Flip or Kanstul, rather it was caused by the previous owner's lack of maintenance in conjunction with the tight fit of the valves.

Ed,

You're 100% correct !! Slide grease, dirt, grit, and grime will pass though any instrument, and collect inside of the valve casings, if the instrument isn't properly cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Yes you'll have problems as that only stands to reason. Kanstul and Flip Oakes Wild Thing instruments pistons are hand fitted and are at a very close tolerence, and they will last a long time. Another thing is all pistons are meant to be pushed straight down, and not at an angle. Improper hand and finger positions can and will add to valve problems. The Flip Oakes valve oil I send out with my horns has a detergent in it, that not only works well during break in, but works well throughout the many years of playing.

One more thing is, you must maintain and clean your horns on a regular routine basis. Doing this will not only add many years to your horns lifetime but it will also ensure your horn will play and sound more consistently.

Each and every Flip Oakes instrument I sell has been has been set up by me, and completely gone thorough, including valve alignments etc. I have also personally played and tested before selling and shipping so to ensure it's highest standard of playability.
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: