• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Took my new Getzen 390 out busking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
I don't think you can miss with Dixieland. Everyone loves it. Remember that it's the music that took over the world back in the 1920s, a time where mainstream society was extremely biased against the people who invented it, and yet it was so powerful that it overcame that.

The plunger mute idea is a suggestion I've not forgotten, but two problems: Firstly, my arms are not super long and I think it will be much more comfortable for me on a cornet. Secondly, if you're playing with a plunger mute, how do you keep the 3rd valve slide from sliding out on its own and staying out? I'm almost wondering if I should have a rubber band handy to hold it in.

I don't like the plunger on trumpet either. And I have long arms. I don't play trumpet ever. I only played it in the last year or two to conform to community band. I'd rather play french horn there so I finally put my foot down and switched. They really need trumpets but my comfort and enjoyment come first. For everything else trumpet related, I play cornet. I discovered cornet in high school with a $50 pawn shop wreck that I fell in love with. Since then, and I'm retired now, if it's jazz trumpet part, out comes a cornet.

About the third valve slide. All the cornets I play don't need a slide action there. The average age of my cornets is around 60 years old. They play in tune without using slides. Therefore, their third valve slides are not loose and don't slide easily.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was so cool!!!!! Love that guy.

Who needs a band when you can play all the instruments yourself. He's even using the cool vintage style mic.

Conn 22B Trumpet
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I really hope the "Lone Sound Ranger" gets recognized, he needs to get on the Johnny Carson Show or something.

Maybe Ed Sullivan's?

Oh, there's the most beautiful Silversonic cornet sitting on the shelf up at Hornucopia last time I looked ....

What's got me on trumpets is, at least among the student-grade horns I have experience with, trumpets sound better, in a beginner's hands, on the low end of their range. This might be all out the window once I'm better and get ahold of a decent cornet.

I think the plunger is awesome, but it'll have to be used with a cornet for me.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from busking at the farmer's market. The good news is that nobody threw any rotten tomatoes at me - at least, not so hard as to actually inflict bodily damage. And there was no shortage of tomatoes there so a shortage of ammo didn't enter into it.

I am not that great of a trumpet player to begin with and after a week long excursion without practice, I wasn't in top form. But I managed to play for an hour and a half before succumbing to heat and fatigue. Also, as a performer, I would say that my presentation rather closely resembles the painting "American Gothic" - yeah, that's about how exciting my stage presence is.

In general, it was my impression that folks weren't all that impressed. They seemed a lot more interested in summer squash and collards than in me. I took some Twizzlers (red licorice sticks) to hand out to kids. Only two kids stopped by. If anybody wants a very large, opened bag of Twizzlers, just PM me.

Dixieland jazz is a much better fit for a venue like that than smokey jazz ballads - I played both. I was very sad to see that they actually liked the blues that I played on a harmonica better than anything else - the savages.

Part of the deal was the set up. Naturally, the farmer's market is outside. So, I parked myself on the small porch of a nearby building so as to be in the shade. There was a fence between me and the venders who were about 15 yards away. The fence kind of steered folks away from me and towards the venders. It was about 90 degrees outside and very humid. If someone wanted to stand near me to listen to music, they would have been in the direct sun. I wouldn't stand in those conditions to listen Arturo (okay, yes I would stand in those conditions to listen to Arturo, but I'm not Arturo). So, basically, other than a few passing glances, nobody paid any attention to me.

Now, that's not all bad. It kind of took the pressure off. I was able to just relax and play. Considering the heat and conditions, it was a pleasant experience. I didn't make any money, but I brought home some locally grown peaches and a watermelon. All in all, not a bad day.

Warm (okay, downright hot) regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits, what a great experience. Totally cool and what a great opportunity to be part of the farmers market. I think I would be playing flugelhorn in that venue. I think it works so well in solo situations. The beauty of busking is that there is no boss, no promoter to justify your choices with. It's just you and the public making good times. I am totally sold on that. Well done!!

Conn 22B Trumpet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Yep I really hope the "Lone Sound Ranger" gets recognized, he needs to get on the Johnny Carson Show or something.

Maybe Ed Sullivan's?

Oh, there's the most beautiful Silversonic cornet sitting on the shelf up at Hornucopia last time I looked ....

What's got me on trumpets is, at least among the student-grade horns I have experience with, trumpets sound better, in a beginner's hands, on the low end of their range. This might be all out the window once I'm better and get ahold of a decent cornet.

I think the plunger is awesome, but it'll have to be used with a cornet for me.

Funny. I've told the story before, but I just bought a Cleveland Superior by H. N. White that I bought on Ebay for $75 just to get the mouthpiece. Turns out the cornet and case were worth so much more. I got the mouthpiece and now I'm playing the cornet.

Conn 22B Trumpet
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:

I am not that great of a trumpet player to begin with ...

Warm (okay, downright hot) regards,
Grits

Haha I bet I'm worse than you!

I've never played at a farmer's market. I usually see some musician with a booth that they've paid for, playing and selling CDs and whatnot, and I used to know a guy with a banjo who's play in farmer's markets, no booth just set up in the middle where people were walking, guy's name was Aric Leavitt, he made bank.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playing yesterday at the farmer's market paid big dividends - just not in money.

I have been practicing exercises almost exclusively. Playing actual music was very instructive. I think that I have some pitch problems I need to work on.

I'm going to use a tuner and map out where my pitches are and then see what I can do to improve. I've been reading some threads on TH about gap and intonation so I am going to do some experimenting and see if I can get the optimal setup for my horn. Of course, the low D and C# are the worst notes, but I knew about those and can compensate with the third slide trigger. But I had some surprises on some higher notes. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the horn and how much is due to my ear. Anyway, more work to do.

Warm regards,
Grits
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of old trumpets and cornets. None have tuning quirks. Most have low D's and C#'s pretty close in tune. I have a new cornet that has a wonky A in the staff that's off as is the Ab. So much talk about issues with gap and such. I'm sure it exists but on old horns playing old mouthpieces there is so much less to worry about. And I have played them against tuners to verify all this.

Conn 22B Trumpet
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard III posted:

Most have low D's and C#'s pretty close in tune.

Hmmm. How about that. I haven't played very many different makes of trumpets but everyone that I have played had a sharp low C# and D. When I was back in high school I just played those notes sharp because the band was so bad that my pitch was the least of our problems. When I started to solo for church, weddings and so forth I learned to use my third slide to compensate.

[The Pennsylvania county and state bands were much better than my high school band. I was shocked when I showed up to play in the state band and the clarinet section played together and in tune. I was taking out my trumpet and I stopped in midstream, turned around and stared at the clarinet section in total disbelief. I didn't realize until that moment that a clarinet was actually a musical instrument.]

Anyway, I have heard claims here on TH that people own trumpets that are perfectly in tune but I have always, well, discounted those comments, so to speak. I'd be interested in getting a trumpet that was perfectly in tune throughout the entire range. I suppose everybody would.

Warm regards,
Grits
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, I have heard claims here on TH that people own trumpets that are perfectly in tune but I have always, well, discounted those comments, so to speak. I'd be interested in getting a trumpet that was perfectly in tune throughout the entire range. I suppose everybody would.

Everything is a compromise. More in tune low C# and D means slightly out of tune other notes. Not enough to matter because a player automatically compensates. I say automatically because usually when playing, you are always compensating to match those around you. Or we used to do that. Instruments are now made so people can be dumb and not listen, just pull on that lever or throw that slide and it all supposedly works. It doesn't work of course but that's the theory.

Conn 22B Trumpet
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard III Posted:

...because a player automatically compensates.

Exactly. That's what I need to work on. I need to take the time to learn my horn well so that I know what to expect from each note. The low C# and D are no big problem because I know that they are sharp. I need to go through and check the intonation of the rest of the notes.

Really, I think that my issue is me, not my horn. As you know, the biggest factor in intonation is the player. I have been singing in a barbershop quartet for about two years. It took me a year to discover that when my part goes up by something greater than a major third, I have a tendency to sing the top note flat. Once I diagnosed the problem, I corrected it. I can now sing on top of the notes. That's what I need to do with my trumpet.

If there were a magic trumpet out there that automatically played perfectly in pitch, I don't think that it would be very useful horn to play jazz. A big part of that art form is the ability to bend pitches expressively.

Warm regards,
Grits
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits - You make a good point about "a perfect horn" being not good for jazz ...

One interesting thing I notice about my Getzen vs. the Yamaha 2320 I had is, it seems I can "bend" the note around much more easily on the Getzen by using my mouth cavity. I can make things sounds pretty weird and sick

Think about the impression jazz first made; it was "weird and sick" for its time.

I've gotta get me a cornet and visit Lowe's for a plunger cup ...
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Grits - You make a good point about "a perfect horn" being not good for jazz ...

One interesting thing I notice about my Getzen vs. the Yamaha 2320 I had is, it seems I can "bend" the note around much more easily on the Getzen by using my mouth cavity. I can make things sounds pretty weird and sick

Think about the impression jazz first made; it was "weird and sick" for its time.

I've gotta get me a cornet and visit Lowe's for a plunger cup ...

99 cent store has plungers for, well, you guessed it. Cheapest mute you'll ever find. For the deluxe version, hit the Dollar Store.

I've got a King 603 cornet you can have. Of course its a six hour round trip to get it.

Conn 22B Trumpet
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your PM and my info's in it .... will have to reimburse you shipping by money order since I've not signed up for paypal yet... 10^6 thanks!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does an elephant and a Martin Committee have in common?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAMKBxsEfA

Conn 22B Trumpet
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III,

Nice post. I wonder how much that guy practices. I have to admit that when I hear guys sound that good, I get a little jealous. I just keep plodding along hoping to get to that point.

Warm regards,
Grits
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Richard III,

Nice post. I wonder how much that guy practices. I have to admit that when I hear guys sound that good, I get a little jealous. I just keep plodding along hoping to get to that point.

Warm regards,
Grits

I did a search on Youtube and he was on the 7th or 8th page. That's a lot of trumpet busking videos to find that little gem. Many of the ones that I skipped over would make you feel much better about your playing.

Conn 22B Trumpet
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, frankly, the standards are pretty low in my area, and that's where I come in, lol.

Our main buskers in downtown San Jose are Leroy and his sax, great guy with a heart of gold but frankly, 90% of the time I can't tell what song he's playing, Rabbit Trumpet Guy who pretty much plays the same 7 or so song rotation, Recorder Guy who plays ... you guessed it ... a recorder and a small wooden drum, and then there's Red, who plays flute and has about a 4-song repertoire.

There's a new trumpeter who's been seen around, but frankly they're kind of sh!t, will play something and it starts sounding nice then woops a wrong note - spoils the mood. But they seem to be improving, albeit slowly. Enough slogging along and eventually they may be as self-assured as that Berlin busker.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight (last night?) I played by the Old Spaghetti Factory for an hour, making $27 and a quarter, then moved over to Johnny Rockets where I made another $4.

Man it gets really loud by the Old Spaghetti Factory and the noise seems to increase as it gets later. It was relief to move over to Johnny Rockets where it was pretty nice and quiet. As you can see, not many tips, but I may have done as well being there all along.

When I'd had enough - I'd played 6:30 - 8:30 - I went over to Caffe Frascati and sat in with a band that's there once a month, "Bossa Blue". Pretty much anyone can sit in, but not everyone is welcome back

My tactic was to play to blend, and fatten up the sound, not stand out. And it worked out better than I hoped for. Bossa Blue plays bossa nova and samba, and the singer sings in Portuguese so I haven't a clue what he's singing about, but the band liked me, and the audience too. It was pretty fun, and the first time I've played with any band.

So it was a pretty good night. Mountain View is in the plans for Saturday and Sunday evenings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: