• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Loud practice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flueskum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Loud practice. Reply with quote

Hello TH
I need to start working on my loud playing in my practicing.
Ive never actually worked on loud playing before.
Any suggestion for exercises or methods or how to go by doing this ?
Many thanks in advance.
Flueskum
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lots of exercises where you just go from soft to loud, and back again. Orchestral players work on this, called "dynamics" a lot.

I play on the street and I can tell you, using a little "dynamics" really gets people's attention. quiet down when someone's walking by with a baby, get loud when someone's being obnoxious on their phone etc.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com+%7Eloud+practice&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Flueskum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com+%7Eloud+practice&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hello Kent, I notice that you submit google searches to many topics, I had google searched this topic before in the same manner as you did, I asked this question again since there might be someone out there who would like to add something to the topic. No need to submit google search again, im fully capable to do it myself even though I'm not a computer tech supporter
Thanks.
Flueskum.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that has helped me with it has been a keen ear and close attention to detail, while simply playing music I enjoy. Right behind that is Schlossberg, in a loud and slow, careful manner.
tptguru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello i try to practice music loud, no more than 5 minute, luck to you
OldKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Schilke Power Exercise.
Aaron Molina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just join a marching band all jokes aside, just the standard arbans exercises while exaggerating the dynamics and crescendos is a good place to start. I wouldn't continuously play loud for an entire practice session though. Too much loud could be bad for the chops over time
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
oxleyk wrote:

Hello Kent, I notice that you submit google searches to many topics, I had google searched this topic before in the same manner as you did, I asked this question again since there might be someone out there who would like to add something to the topic. No need to submit google search again, im fully capable to do it myself even though I'm not a computer tech supporter
Thanks.
Flueskum.

I don't know, sort of seems to be like he was just trying to be helpful, offering another source information on your post.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
oxleyk wrote:

Thanks.
Flueskum.

I don't know, sort of seems to be like he was just trying to be helpful, offering another source information on your post.

Brad
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Flueskum

i'd suggest you, first of all, work on coordination. A good exercise, to me, is the "yes-no" taught by Bobby Shew (you could practice it as a kind of Forte-Piano long tone exercise)
when you master the control of the aperture, and dynamics variations, you can work on strenghtening the embouchure, playing loud (not overblowing)by all kind of exercises, studies, big band stuff etc., always going progessively in the dynamic and high register.

best
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lesson with Mark Inouye a number of years ago and he had some great suggestions for adding loud playing as a tool for troubleshooting along with general issues to consider if it's not working very well. It's in this post starting with the Mahler 2 example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: