• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke piccolo leadpipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Schilke piccolo leadpipes Reply with quote

So I have an old P5-4 from the 70's that needs an overhaul. It only has 1 leadpipe, so I figure while I'm at it I'll get it fitted for a dedicated A leadpipe, since my particular horn seems to have a slightly different leadpipe size and won't fit in other Schilkes. I know that Osmun brass makes an A pipe and so does Schilke now. My question is has anyone had experience with these that might help me in making a decision as to who to send my horn to.

Thanks,
Paul R
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd get Blackburns (from Pickett's)...

Up to you.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Osmun pipe that I really like. They didn't have the exact pipe I was looking for, so they were able to draw a custom one. Not sure why you need a dedicated A pipe though, when you could just order a Bb pipe and pull it out to A when you need to.
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked how my Schilke played in A when pulling out the Bb pipe. Hence the interest in the dedicated A pipe. In fact, I almost always use a different piccolo trumpet for A playing.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
If it were me, I'd get Blackburns (from Pickett's)...

Up to you.

I've always understood that this was more or less a standard practice - that the Schilke pic in A with a Blackburn pipe was a fairly dramatic improvement in both playability and sound.

In any case, I'll echo was TKSop said - get a Blackburn pipe for it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just get a Schilke A pipe? It will most closely play like the Bb pipe that you already have. The Schilke pipes from various eras were slightly different outside diameters. Call Schilke, they can easily make a pipe to fit your horn. It's no big deal, they will just hone the new pipe to fit your existing receiver tube.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
Why not just get a Schilke A pipe? It will most closely play like the Bb pipe that you already have. The Schilke pipes from various eras were slightly different outside diameters. Call Schilke, they can easily make a pipe to fit your horn. It's no big deal, they will just hone the new pipe to fit your existing receiver tube.

Probably because the Blackburn pipe will play better, and likely costs the same or even less. Anything Schilke that you buy after the fact - tuning slides, valve buttons or caps, or leadpipes - is usually pretty pricey.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, my question is has anyone played the Schilke or Osmun A piccolo leadpipes? And if so, specifically, how was the high F (concert D) as I have always found this note rather sharp on my Schilke with the pull out Bb pipe.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
JoeLoeffler wrote:

Probably because the Blackburn pipe will play better, and likely costs the same or even less. Anything Schilke that you buy after the fact - tuning slides, valve buttons or caps, or leadpipes - is usually pretty pricey.

A quick look on ME shows a higher price for Schilke's A picc pipe than Osmun, with Blackburn being the cheapest of the three if unplated (same as the Osmun if you get it silvered).
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in a position to know once told me that the only difference between the Blackburn pipe and the Kanstul pipe was the little fish on the receiver.

FWIW I bought a set of Kanstul trumpet shank pipes for the used Kanstul 920 I picked up. Ended up liking the way the horn plays with either cornet shank pipe better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
sweet-ribs chamberlain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I have a p5-4 and noticed a huge difference and improvement with the high D once I switched to the Schilke A pipe. Also improved were high E and B wasnt as flat as it was. If you are going to be in Charlotte anytime soon, you are welcome to play mine. I have not played the osmun picc pipes.

Sweet-ribs
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
JoeLoeffler wrote:

Aftermarket pipes, including Blackburn, change the quality of the sound and in particular the character of the articulation.

Bud played the Schilke pipe. PERIOD!

DB
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an Osmun leadpipe in A, trumpet shank with my Schilke P5-4/BG. It played wonderfully, but did alter the core of the sound. Intonation was improved, played more open with a precise mellow core, and changed the feel of the instrument. I eventually went back to the Schilke pipe that came with the horn with a cornet shank mouthpiece. The instrument feels more proportionate, the core of sound is more tangible and sparkles a little bit more. I would like to try the Schilke A pipe (cornet). A lot of people prefer either/both Blackburn or Osmun aftermarket leadpipes. I believe a Schilke pipe might work better in the section. For some, it is about getting a familiar feel across your set of horns.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question of if someone has actually played the pipes... I use a Schilke A length pipe exclusively in my P5-4 when playing with the horn in A. The pitch is excellent and the horn plays with much more focus and is more even across the range than with the Bb pipe pulled out all the way. . I can't imagine that any other pipe would play any better.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Glynn, a former Schilke employee, sells his own leadpipes for Schilke piccs. I have a set of three, and I prefer them to the Osmun and Schilke A pipes. He sells them on Ebay under the brand name Benchmark.

JU
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much to everyone who wrote in about this. As a result of your feedback, plus checking with Schilke and Osmun on overhaul prices, I have sent my horn back to Schilke for replating and a new "A" pipe.

Paul R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: