• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lie601

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Low Notes Reply with quote

So I finally got a private lesson for the instructor to listen to me play. Although he said I sounded great, he wanted able to fix one problem I have: airy tonguing (but only for low notes!). Air can be heard before my tonguing attack. Any ideas on fixing this? Thank you!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut instinct is too say - go with what this instructor said.

He did suggest WHAT you need to do, right? If not,m either go back, or find a different teacher.

cheers

Andy
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To produce a clear attack, a responsive lip and a fast air stream are the most important elements. While there will be those who disagree, the tongue, in and by itself, does not make a sound. It is rather, the immediate vibration of the lip that produces the the first attack, and the interruption of the wind by the tongue that causes the lips to stop for a split second and start again, that produces succeeding attacks.

To develop a good tone delivery, I suggest some use of the "HEE" attack. Here's how it's done: moisten the lips and "press them together. (Not pinched.) Take a big breath and blow, striving to make the attack with no tongue as clear as you can. The air stream must be fast, like a bullet.
Then when you add the tongue to this type of blowing, you will have an attack that has full sound.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For low notes I'd think "Tow" rather than "Tee".

But yeah I think ideally the tongue is like a valve; there's air pressure behind it ready to get out.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
My gut instinct is too say - go with what this instructor said.

He did suggest WHAT you need to do, right? If not,m either go back, or find a different teacher.

cheers

Andy

No disrespect intended towards anyone who has made suggestions for you here, but why would you not just do what Andy said??? Was it a one-time lesson? If so, and assuming the teacher is qualified, that's not enough.

This forum is a great place to learn, as long as you remember that just because someone writes something here does not necessarily mean it's 100% correct. There are some very good, credentialed players and teachers here, but there are no application requirements to be here either, and a big downside to using this forum is using it as a replacement for real world, in person working with a qualified teacher. Sure, it's EASIER, but sometimes that's part of the problem.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Notes Reply with quote

Lie601 wrote:
So I finally got a private lesson for the instructor to listen to me play. Although he said I sounded great, he wanted able to fix one problem I have: airy tonguing (but only for low notes!). Air can be heard before my tonguing attack. Any ideas on fixing this? Thank you!

In general, to get a clean attack on any note, low or high, you have to have a good embouchure setting so your lips are ready to vibrate that note, and then you need to release the right amount of air. Everything has to be in balance for you and your physiology. Everyone's different, and we each have to find that balance.

We don't know the details of how you set your embouchure, so we can't tell you what to do to find a better setting. It's impossible over an internet forum. It isn't that easy in person, either. Sometimes a good teacher can spot something if it's way out of whack, but sometimes little things can be out of place that aren't so easy to spot.

I attended a masterclass last January by David Krauss, principal trumpet with the Met Opera Orchestra. He invited attendees to volunteer to come up on the stage and tell him about something they struggle with. One student volunteered that she struggled with low notes.

Mr. Krauss watched her play a few low notes and observed that it was a bit awkward for her. He gave her some general tips, like don't displace or manipulate the embouchure or jaw very much. Try to keep a setting that's close to her normal setting. Relax. Think high when she plays low.

After just a few minutes with this kind of guidance, the young lady was playing low notes better. Mr. Krauss didn't give specific instructions to move her lower lip this way, roll, in, roll out, etc. He gave her general conceptual advice, and she had to apply that advice to her specific approach. Somehow, it worked!

You'll have to do the same thing. Try to set your embouchure with a normal setting, without a lot of manipulation of your lips or jaw. Relax. Release air with the right amount of force to allow your lips to vibrate the note. You might have to try subtle adjustments in air pressure, lip tension, lip alignment, horn angle, and aperture to find the setting that works reliably well for you within the bounds of your normal embouchure placement. Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to start somewhere around G in the staff, and work your articulation there, and work your way down slowly by half steps until you are working your articulation down low and it has started to clear up.

Sometimes there is no shortcut - you just have to put away the method books, and start working an aspect of technique that is giving you trouble, and really tune in to what's going on between you and the instrument, making fine adjustments until you get results.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: