• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Took my new Getzen 390 out busking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My tactic was to play to blend, and fatten up the sound, not stand out. And it worked out better than I hoped for. Bossa Blue plays bossa nova and samba, and the singer sings in Portuguese so I haven't a clue what he's singing about, but the band liked me, and the audience too. It was pretty fun, and the first time I've played with any band.

Good for you putting yourself out there. Nice profit at Spag Factory earlier too.

Not to derail the thread but it took a bit of work to find Bossa Blue.

https://sites.google.com/site/kucheracarmen/home

As someone who has a band and looks for ways to promote, I would think having an available website and functioning videos would be important. They are hard to find. Based in Santa Barbara. I found an article about them and then the site link above. The video link goes to nothing. You can listen to them in the downloads section on the site above. Their music sounds like good background stuff for Caffe Frascati.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1Jazzyalex posted:

My tactic was to play to blend, and fatten up the sound, not stand out. And it worked out better than I hoped for. Bossa Blue plays bossa nova and samba, and the singer sings in Portuguese so I haven't a clue what he's singing about, but the band liked me, and the audience too. It was pretty fun, and the first time I've played with any band.

Nice. You evidently have more talent than you let on.

That is really kind of my dream, to get to play with a band. My taste in music is very broad. I'd be happy with a brass ensemble, a British Brass Band, Dixieland, Jazz, Big Band, Salsa or a Band like Bossa Blue.

When I was back in high school I found plenty of opportunities in community theater, jazz bands, and college ensembles. I'm sure that part of the issue is that I live in a rural area, but it seems to me that folks don't play musical instruments as frequently as they used to. There are a few guitar players around, a few piano players, but not much else. It's a shame. Playing with other musicians is such a blast - well, if they are any good, that is.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Richard III"]
Quote:

Not to derail the thread but it took a bit of work to find Bossa Blue.

https://sites.google.com/site/kucheracarmen/home

That's the most I found, searching for 'em.

They seem to be now, at least up here, the big guy on guitar and voice, and a hired drummer who's really good and takes breaks, unlike the big guy who goes on from start to end like a machine.

You oughta see Caffe Frascati when it's Opera Night. The place is jammed (and not just because opera singers come big.)
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Grits Burgh"]
Quote:

Nice. You evidently have more talent than you let on.
Warm regards,
Grits

Thanks! I may, I seem to have a better ability to play by ear than most, and a sense of rhythm, but there's sooooooo much I have to learn.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to busk, it'd def be on a cornet; one of the cheaper ones I have, that still play fine. Speaking of which, the old Olds receiver will take a FL mpc with a Bach shank.

So congrats on the cornet! I find a blue plunger goes well with a silver horn, and looks less like plumbing. Learn to growl, and how that differs from flutter tongue.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Razeontherock posted:

If I were to busk, it'd def be on a cornet

Why would you prefer a cornet and which cornets would you recommend?

I've been looking at cornets, but can't make up my mind what type of cornet I really want.

Warm regards,
Grits
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out tonight, played in the tunnel across from West Valley Music (after buying a book called Pares Scales from them) and played for an hour and a half, making $25.70.

This is interesting because it's 30 cents short of what I made on the 4th, a special day, and in roughly half the time.

I even got a dollar from a kid with a guitar who'd been playing in the area earlier, and we both got on the train back to San Jose; he said he called it a day when his voice got really tired out. Same situation with my lips.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Bean!

My all time favorite is the one where he's in a department store buying some socks or something and there's one of those manger scenes set up because it's around Christmas, and he's messing around with the figures, and the store manager interferes with a police helicopter figure it's hilarious.

I need to be in Mountain View right now and I'm not.

Edit: I ended up going out on the bike and doing some shopping, and went to Cafe Stritch because Sunday evening is the jam, with various musicians rotating in and out, and there was a trumpeter - a guy named Modesto Briseno, and I even got his card.

So instead of playing trumpet, I went and saw someone else play trumpet. I told him I'd been playing on the street and doing about $60 a weekend, and this weekend more like $75 if I'd gone out tonight. He said "That's more than I'm making".
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah1kYxU_b7Q

For those who haven't heard him or the venue. Here is one from 2015.

Reality check for what people are making. I have a friend just getting back into gigging and he is shocked at the low pay.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard III posted:

I have a friend just getting back into gigging and he is shocked at the low pay.

For all but a very few, playing trumpet is a bad economic investment. Play for the love of it or don't play at all.

I will never recoup my investment in music, instruments and accoutrements, let alone my time. Actually I am more likely to turn a profit playing the lottery. Less than two years into my comeback, I am still questioning my decision to persevere. On my good days, I am fulfilled. On my bad days, I am discouraged. Still, I plod along.

In fact, I am just about to go practice.

Warm regards,
Grits
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
Richard III posted:

I have a friend just getting back into gigging and he is shocked at the low pay.

For all but a very few, playing trumpet is a bad economic investment. Play for the love of it or don't play at all.

I will never recoup my investment in music, instruments and accoutrements, let alone my time. Actually I am more likely to turn a profit playing the lottery. Less than two years into my comeback, I am still questioning my decision to persevere. On my good days, I am fulfilled. On my bad days, I am discouraged. Still, I plod along.

Warm regards,
Grits

Grits,

I like those thoughts a lot - that's a great way to put it all in perspective for me. I'm going to try to think more that way about the trumpet. It's probably the only way to avoid frustration and stay sane...
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
Richard III posted:

Warm regards,
Grits

Grits,

I like those thoughts a lot - that's a great way to put it all in perspective for me. I'm going to try to think more that way about the trumpet. It's probably the only way to avoid frustration and stay sane...

Love of playing is what keeps me going. On days I really don't want to practice, if I just take the horn out of the case and put in the mouthpiece and start I'm usually glad I did. IMHO I'm not sure any trumpet player is sane.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday morning, my little jazz band played one song at a local church. One of the members of the band is the music director and he thought our version of Just a Closer Walk with Thee would blow their minds. Surprise. Everyone loved our traditional jazz approach and want us back. We got paid nothing but smiles, applause and many kind words.

Later in the day, my tuba player and I did a short busking gig in our little town. Once again just smiles, applause and kind words. We had to quit after 2-3 songs because a venue next door had amplified music for a special occasion.

So no money yesterday but we did have the joy of making music.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I envy you. What I wouldn't give for a tuba player, a trombonist and a clarinetist. But even with just a tuba, it would be a lot of fun. Playing with your group must be a blast.

Just a Closer Walk With Thee is really a lot of fun to play. It is one of my favorites. I have been practicing using a plunger on that piece. I am also trying to learn to growl on St. Jame Infirmary. Growling is surprisingly difficult for me.

Also, I have been thinking about getting a cornet (one more investment which I will never recoup) just because it would make the plunger so much easier to use.

Warm regards,
Grits
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many things about a cornet is that they are quite cheap. A good cornet can be had for $100. People don't want them so that drives the price down. I'm not talking a King Master, Bach Strad or one of the other pro horns that are popular in the limited cornet market. One drawback is that its hard to try before you buy. But with such a cheap entry, trying by buying is possible. I have maybe five that I have no problem playing for any situation. The other issue is that the old ones play better with original mouthpieces. I have one cornet that no modern shanked mouthpiece will fit. But the old ones fit just find.

With regards to tuba and other instruments. I couldn't find a good trombone player. I played that part on my marching french horn. Then one of my trumpet players decided to switch to baritone horn. That put me on cornet. He has since moved again to tuba. Tuba just works so much better than a bass player trying to play that part. We have gone through many changes. Part of that is finding music that works with multiple instruments. We now have a guitar player, piano player, banjo and bass players and that makes fluctuations in brass much easier to adapt to.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:

For all but a very few, learning electronics is a bad economic investment. Fiddle with circuit boards for the love of it or don't play at all.

I will never recoup my investment in college, soldering irons and meters, and power supplies and oscilloscopes, let alone my time. Actually I am more likely to turn a profit playing the lottery. Less than two years into my comeback, I am still questioning my decision to persevere. On my good days, I am fulfilled. On my bad days, I am discouraged. Still, I plod along.

In fact, I am just about to go build something out of Walt Jung's "Op-Amp Cookbook".

Warm regards,
Grits

There, fixed that for ya!
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright look here people

For the average person, live music is something they get taken to see a few times in elementary/high school and after that, nada.

Almost everywhere in the US is *not* like San Jose, which has music in the park, San Jose Jazz events, Cafe Stritch and Caffe Frascati, and places like the Hedley Club where you can listen for the price of a drink.

This is why little kids are so freaking astounded at a busker; to them music is something that comes out of a speaker.

If you're very religious, you get some exposure to live music that way, but what if you're not?

The vast majority of people are in survival mode, and as I experienced at a very deep level, music is what you have when you have nothing else.

Buskers are out there for many reasons, and for quite a few, it really is about the money. Those are the ones who are tired, stale, and play the same rotation of about 7 songs.

But I could make side-money in any of a number of ways. Most of which have seemed to be more lucrative than playing trumpet, but the busking game is surprising me.

I started on the 4th of July, hence this thread. That week I played 4 days and made a hair under $60. The next week I played 3 days and made a hair over $60. This last weekend I played 2 days and made $56. And if I can get other work I have to do, done, then I plan to go out Wednesday night, perhaps making this a $75 or so week. That's getting to be pretty worthwhile money. And I must be improving, too.

Partially this is "learning to play by brute force", sort of like how Harry James was made to play every day for hours by his family (who owned/ran a circus) or how the Gypsies will throw their kids out there to busk, learn or else.

Any of a number of buskers will tell you, bar/club owners are cheap bastards, so why even deal with 'em when you can make more on the street?
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Jazzyalex,

Okay, I'll be right back with you just as soon as i figure out what a Walt Jung's "Op-Amp Cookbook" is.

I did make some watermelon sorbet. Oh yeah...

Warm regards,
Grits
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Jazzyalex,

Okay. I got it. Walt Jung's "Op-Amp Cookbook."

I'm strictly an acoustical instrument guy. That one was outside of my experience.

I am a fan of busking provided that the music is tasteful. To me, busking is about sharing something that you love and connecting with people. It's a lot of fun when the audience appreciates the music.

As you say, in many areas of the country, live performances are rare, particularly if you don't count church, rap, rock, or country. In my experience, to those less than 20 years in age, Dixieland and Barbershop singing (my specialties) are novel and generally well received. Fortunately, I am in a position where earning money isn't a priority. I have the luxury of performing for the sheer fun of it - and it is fun.

If you can make some worthwhile money at busking, good for you. As I said previously, you have been an inspiration to me and I am enjoying the updates on your experiences.

Warm regards,
Grits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: