• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

schlossberg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: schlossberg Reply with quote

i just got this book from my teacher. there is no tempo marking in the first pages of the book. would 60 be good for first pages ? do you play first pages only trumpet or also mouthpiece ?
sorry for my english im still learning
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong playing it nice and slow to start, then speed up or even try different "beats"
rlk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: schlossberg Reply with quote

tptguru wrote:
I just got this book from my teacher. There is no tempo marking in the first pages of the book. Would 60 be good for first pages ? Do you play first pages only trumpet or also mouthpiece ?
sorry for my English I'm still learning

Do not worry about your English - your English is much better than my Russian or my Kyrgyz.

A good question to ask your teacher is 'why'. When you know why you are doing an exercise the other questions answer themselves. It is OK to ask "Why am I doing this exercise? What am I learning here?"

These exercises - pages 1 through 5 - are to learn how to make the best sound with the least effort. And to learn how to change notes with the least muscle movement. Again, ask your teacher about that.

The tempo is marked 'Very Slow'. A tempo of 60 might be too fast - 52 or 54 might be better. Don't worry - there are many exercises later in the book for learning how to play fast.

This book is to be played on the trumpet. There are mouthpiece exercises, but not in this book.

And remember: You aren't supposed to be getting good at the exercise - you are supposed to be learning from the exercise to become good at making music.

RLK.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Gekker has a very good book called "Slow Practice." In it, he recommends starting with the metronome at 60 for those first Schlossberg exercises. That's around the same tempo that I learned those exercises at, and it has always felt about right to me. Good luck!
tptguru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you add "bends" to first pages?
OldKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: schlossberg Reply with quote

rlk wrote:

This book is to be played on the trumpet. There are mouthpiece exercises, but not in this book.

RLK.

'Pretty sure that three lines of mouthpiece exercises are listed on the first or second page with instructions to play on the mouthpiece for 2 minutes before anything else. At least in my book there are.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you add "bends" to first pages?

I do lip bends for Long Note Drills #4-6. I was taught to play them both ways.

Tom Stevens' book "After Schlossberg" and, of course. Jimmy Stamp's "Warm Ups and Studies" can help you develop a deeper understanding of how to approach the Schlossberg studies.

I'd recommend discussing lip bends with your teacher before you start including them in your Schlossberg practice.

Good luck!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: schlossberg Reply with quote

OldKing wrote:
rlk wrote:

RLK.

'Pretty sure that three lines of mouthpiece exercises are listed on the first or second page with instructions to play on the mouthpiece for 2 minutes before anything else. At least in my book there are.

Near the bottom of the page titled "Introductory Notes", there is a three line mouthpiece drill with directions to play the mouthpiece in both slurring and staccato daily for at least two minutes before any actual instrument practice is begun.

I have done this simple exercise for many years and think it has been very useful to me as part of the warm up. However, I am one of those people who believes that mouthpiece buzzing is useful and has value.

My teacher taught and required me to buzz everything I played when I was taking lessons long ago. So, I would probably do both.
rlk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: schlossberg Reply with quote

OldKing wrote:
rlk wrote:

RLK.

They're before the first page in my edition. The instructions could have two interpretations - 'every time before you play' or 'before you ever play.' My interpretation is that you he wants you to learn to buzz on the mouthpiece before you try to make a tone on the trumpet - and that after you can make a tone on the trumpet you don't buzz the mouthpiece any more.

In either case you don't buzz the numbered exercises - and it turns out the the OP also has the Stamp book which will cover all of his buzzing needs.

RLK
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Stevens: The Schlossberg Workshop At Chosen Vale

Link

Last edited by solo soprano on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schlossberg book is a collection of exercises hand written for specific students to address specific problems; compiled and put into book form by Harry Freistadt .

This is NOT a method and shouldn't be approached as such.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is NOT a method and shouldn't be approached as such.

No argument here, though I don't see that as diminishing the value of the book, particularly if you are working with a good teacher.

If you were to do one exercise per day from each of the eight section in "Daily Drills and Technical Studies" -- and vary the dynamic markings, tempo, articulation, skip the fermatas, etc. -- you'd be getting a pretty good workout. Not a comprehensive workout, perhaps, but a good one.

To me, that "mindful" approach to practice is no different than how one should approach Clarke's "Technical Studies," the technical studies in Arban's or St. Jacome's methods, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: