• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

At what point is an enlarged rim size significant?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: At what point is an enlarged rim size significant? Reply with quote

Is there really a noticeable difference in feel between a rim size of .590 and .660 size? I want to know if it's worth it to buy a new mouthpiece.

I have a Legends JT MF mouthpiece and love it's construction all the way around, but (LOL) . . . the rim inner opening is a .590 and I've been playing a Purviance 5*K4 with a rim size of .660. I like the .660.

Will I really be making a change in feel/performance if I make the change to a slightly larger rim or shall I just press on with the .590 a it is? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people will be able to tell the difference between two pieces .010" apart in ID if all else is equal.

.070" is a massive difference, but there's more to it than just ID... The rim profile, bite, cup shape (alpha angle) will all affect the individuals perception of size - to say nothing of different manufacturers measuring in slightly different spots to each other anyway, making quoted figures difficult to compare cross-manufacturer.

If the two work well for you as a pair, I'd ignore the numbers and just enjoy using them as a pair.... If one feels like the diameter is miles wrong then it's worth considering changing it
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is a difference. You said that you felt one yourself. It depends on how sensitive a player is, but all the changeable characteristics about a mouthpiece (everything is a variable...) make a difference. Only the individual can make a determination about what is best for him/her. The answer is to use what works for you to most easily allow you to do the job that you need to do.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, measurements and specifications can be quite irrelevant when it comes down to deciding what mouthpiece will play the best for any given player, and which one to play in any particular musical situation.

I have found that I can tell differences between mouthpieces that supposedly measure the same.
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Try these Reply with quote

If you like the V-Cup and want a little bit bigger with the V-Cup feel go with the Legends Brass MF HG.
https://www.legendsbrass.com/legends-mf-hg.html

If you want a little wider rim with a little deeper cup that has the feel of the MF JT and plays awesome go with the TS.
https://www.legendsbrass.com/legends-mf-fbl-ts-613-trumpet-mouthpiece.html

If you like the .660 I'd look at these, the Legends CF LA would be a great choice.
Legends L-13A4L
ORD: 1.06in (26.92mm) IRD: .660in (16.76mm) Cup Depth: D

Legends JM
ORD: 1.07in (27.18mm) IRD: .660in (16.76mm) Cup Depth: D/C

Legends CF LA
​ORD: 1.11in (28.07mm) IRD: .660in (16.76mm) Cup Depth: D/C

​Legends SH 1.0
ORD: 1.06in (26.85mm) IRD: .662in (16.82mm) Cup Depth: D/C

Hope this helps,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you feel the need to make a fairly big change? I gather from some of your posts that you are not a youngster. I'm guessing that you are are at least as old as I am.(61)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Why do you feel the need to make a fairly big change? I gather from some of your posts that you are not a youngster. I'm guessing that you are are at least as old as I am.(61)

Ha, ha, older. The change was just curiosity, at first. I read a post that this gave a darker sound than your typical "sizzle" mouthpiece. Fell in love with the feel of the mouthpiece, but it seemed a little narrow. Otherwise, (bore, etc.), it was fine.

Just want to know if the change in diameters makes a difference in your collective experience, in which case I'll ask them if they can provide me with a mpc that is configured the same, only wider, or I'll leave it as-is.

(FWIW, I have no burning desire to play lead or triple C. I just want good range to help my improvisation.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Hawaii were you born? My wife is from Honolulu, grew up on Kealia Drive. Just below Kamehameha School. She went to St. Andrew's Priory.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua. I know St. Andrew's well; used to ride a bus to school with some of the girls. Kam was a rival. I am a McKinley ("Tokyo High") grad. Say 'hi' to your wife for me. Small world. Nice to see a fellow islander.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Kailua at my brother in law's house. Right near Kainalu Elementary School. Did you have Joe Tom as a teacher at McKinley? He was part of our extended ohana. He passed away a few years back.
We're usually here once a year. Been catching a few concerts at the zoo. Saw Melveen Leed and Willie K. Next week is Ohta San. Heard a very fine trumpeter named DeShannon Higa last summer at a tribute for Jimmy Borges. I believe he is playing again in a few weeks at the zoo. Also went to the Ukulele Festival last week.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell a mouthpiece was too big for me when I couldn't do lip slurs on it and I was missing notes. I've experienced too big and too small. When I ended up getting a GR fitting with Charlie Melk (and trust me, that was not my intention), I ended up with .650 instead of the .640ish Al Cass. But with the Cass rim, hard to say which felt larger.

.590 is kind of small but not that small. Maybe an intermediate size like .630 is worth trying.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Most people will be able to tell the difference between two pieces .010" apart in ID if all else is equal.

.070" is a massive difference, but there's more to it than just ID... The rim profile, bite, cup shape (alpha angle) will all affect the individuals perception of size - to say nothing of different manufacturers measuring in slightly different spots to each other anyway, making quoted figures difficult to compare cross-manufacturer.

If the two work well for you as a pair, I'd ignore the numbers and just enjoy using them as a pair.... If one feels like the diameter is miles wrong then it's worth considering changing it

^^ This answer. Most trumpet players who have been playing long enough and who get dialed into a particular equipment setup can feel changes that are quite small. Think about it - sometimes even the shift of a few thousandths of an inch, depending on where that shift occurs in the setup, can have some fairly drastic changes on how a particular setup feels and plays.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for some very thoughtful answers. I think I'll see if Legends has a mouthpiece configured exactly like this MF except at a "larger" diameter. Again, thanks.

peanuts, have a great time. Melveen and Ohtasan. No disrespect, but didn't know they were still around, LOL. Brings back a lot of nostalgia. Great place to live, not so great to work. Enjoy.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Thank you all for some very thoughtful answers. I think I'll see if Legends has a mouthpiece configured exactly like this MF except at a "larger" diameter. Again, thanks.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you

I do think the MF designs are a tricky one - in some ways, the tiny ID is necessary to combat bottoming out (which given the crazy high effective alpha on those pieces can be a big problem for near enough anyone).

Still, there's often something that works for some and not others - hopefully you can find what you're after.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Kehaulani
2 years ago, my 16.54mm ID felt a little too tight for good articulation.
I ordered custom work to Marcinkiewicz, to increase to 0.05mm the ID for new mpcs with all the same other specs i already had for lead, jazz, classical.
While it was perfect immediately with deeper mpcs, it required couple of months to get perfectly used to the lead mpc, that gave me already better ease and sound; the only probs are that the high register was a little more "expensive", and the stamina too. After that acclimatation period of 1-1 months, it was perfect.

so, you can see how these little 0.05mm (0.0019 inches) made all the difference !!! To me, to my feeling and playing.

best
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melveen still sounds good, not sure how old she is. Ohta San is about 83 and still going strong. He plays with a guitarist from Pear City named Nando Suan. Nando is even older than Herb. Plays like Wes Montgomery.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you make a significant change in size it changes the muscle engagement. I noticed this when I had to go smaller for a year when I was having dental work done and then had two switch back. During both changes I lost loads of stamina and it felt like different muscles were working for each size. I was going from 17mm to 16.2mm at the time. I have since settled around the 16.4 for everything.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
When you make a significant change in size it changes the muscle engagement. I noticed this when I had to go smaller for a year when I was having dental work done and then had two switch back. During both changes I lost loads of stamina and it felt like different muscles were working for each size. I was going from 17mm to 16.2mm at the time. I have since settled around the 16.4 for everything.

Yes, same for me. Once I tried (ahumm.. bought) a Schilke 15A4 (semi wide) nstead of my standard rim Scihilke 14. After say 20 minutes chops disappeared. I think the bloodflow was staunched. As Gordon tells, different muscles/parts of the chops will be exposed. Difficult to tell right away though. Test!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Black says that once your chops are developed on a certain mpc, a change of.005" is too much. The frustrating part is asking a different manufacturer to match your.660", then what you get feels miles off.

Your best bet is to send the maker your current mpc, but at the least, tell him what you've been playing and ask for the same ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: