• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eastman Double Trumpet Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sthomas98

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Eastman Double Trumpet Case Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences with these double cases? I'm looking at buying one from Dillon Music, and wanted to see if anyone had any sort of reviews about how well built/protective it is. I'm looking to hold a B flat and a C in it. I've previously used a ProTec single case, but I have heard from reviews online that their double/triple cases tend to fall apart after about a year.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-3871-eastman-double-trumpet-case-pebble-finish.aspx

Thanks
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience here with the Eastman double, but I briefly owned an Eastman single. in my opinion it's rather cheaply made, the interior was STYROFOAM covered in cloth, generally, it did not seem very protective. But of course it sells for less than a lot of others, you get what you pay for.

Brad
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eastman single and double are both fine cases. Yes, there is STYROFOAM!!!!!!!! for the inside of the single. Molded foam that keeps your trumpet protected and secured, and the case ridged. There is a pad on the lid that helps to immobilize the trumpet when closed.

The double is good, but it's a little short. You'll only be able to fit standard-sized trumpets. No cornets or "taller" than average trumpets. But they're small and light, and hard-shelled without any of the frills or junk that Protec insists on putting on their cases.

Beware the rivets on these cases, at the locks. They can come loose.

Another very good option would be to save for a while more and buy either a Marcus Bonna Double, or a Torpedo Bags Coyote. They're excellent and will serve a variety of needs for a long time. Keep your eyes on the Marketplace here on TH; there are often very good deals on cases.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequently there are ads in the TH Marketplace for Yamaha and/or Bach double cases. I'd go with one of those before the Eastman case. Sturdier. Last forever. I have a Bach double that I've been using for 12 years. Still good as new. The Yamaha cases are very good too. Maybe slightly more compact.

Regards,
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this old post:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119816&highlight=eastman+double+case

The one I saw in person didn't have any issues with the latches.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
Frequently there are ads in the TH Marketplace for Yamaha and/or Bach double cases. I'd go with one of those before the Eastman case. Sturdier. Last forever. I have a Bach double that I've been using for 12 years. Still good as new. The Yamaha cases are very good too. Maybe slightly more compact.

Regards,

Agreed on all fronts. The old Yamaha double cases that came with Xeno's for a while are incredibly small. Basically, they hold 2 mouthpieces and two horns, and pretty much nothing else. But they are made well and if space is really at a premium, they're probably the way to go. I picked one up on the marketplace here for cheap a number of years back.

I also have one of the newer Bach double cases that came with the Artisan horns, though I talked my way into the case when I bought my Philly C. It's much larger and heavier than a Yamaha double case, but you really don't get much more storage inside. Just 3-4X as much padding, and a narrow slot you can get some valve oil into. Other than that, it's very inefficient space-wise. Useful for storing horns in a closet, little else.

The happy medium, and far more useful to me (daily basis) is My Coyote 2.5 from Torpedobags. While Technically not a pure double case, it's close to the same size as the Bach double, yet I can put three horns inside (one a picc most of the time), plus it has optional external attachments for a mute bag as well as a music pouch.

Built fantastically well, with an outstanding reputation, it's pretty much bulletproof though fairly expensive. One accident on a slippery surface though, and it pays for itself immediately.

HTH.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
The Eastman single and double are both fine cases. Yes, there is STYROFOAM!!!!!!!! for the inside of the single. Molded foam that keeps your trumpet protected and secured, and the case ridged. There is a pad on the lid that helps to immobilize the trumpet.

Ok, the STYROFOAM (😉) in those cases may in fact keep the horn from shifting, which is critical, but if it's a good material for the inside of an instrument case, why wouldn't other well known, more expensive cases use it?

My general impression of the Eastman single is that it feels cheap, which, to be fair, it is.

Brad
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, it's just appropriate for this particular style of case. Walt Johnson used the same density of foam for their singles. BAM has cases with hard foam inside. Musical Bags of Spain has some hard foam interiors.

Bang for buck, the Eastman single is great. I use mine a lot. 7 years and still fine. Great for little airplanes and vacations.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on cue.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=98674&s=Slim-Yamaha-double-case
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Brad, it's just appropriate for this particular style of case. Walt Johnson used the same density of foam for their singles. BAM has cases with hard foam inside. Musical Bags of Spain has some hard foam interiors.

Bang for buck, the Eastman single is great. I use mine a lot. 7 years and still fine. Great for little airplanes and vacations.

Hmm, well you might be right, I probably need to stand corrected.😎

My impression of the Eastman single was that it didn't seem very well made, but in fairness I sold the one I bought pretty quickly, maybe had I given it more of a chance my opinion would be different. Yours seems to be working well for you, and seven years, as opposed to the couple of months I used one probably means you're correct.

Brad
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both the single and double Eastman cases, as well as a Yamaha double.
The single Eastman is my favorite. Very compact and protective enough.
I would be wary of carrying a C in the double, though, as it is quite tight and that second valv slide sticking out at a ninety degree angle is just asking for a problem, imo.
The Yamaha wood is a little better for carrying both Bb and C, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: