• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fiddler's Tale Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Fiddler's Tale Help! Reply with quote

I will be performing this in the fall and am looking for help in either someone have a scan of it that I can temporarily use or know of someone that I can contact in order to receive a part or something. So if anyone knows something, that'd be great.

I also have a question that is probably easier to answer, is it played on cornet or trumpet?

Thanks!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redacted! I only glanced at the title and thought you were asking about Fiddler On The Roof.

Last edited by John Mohan on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

http://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/a-fiddlers-tale
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
This one?

http://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/a-fiddlers-tale

That's the one
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played that show before. It's definitely played on trumpet, not cornet. If I recall correctly, you can use either Bb or C depending on what you prefer. I used Bb. But, being a pretty open-minded production, I think there is room for creativity. When I did it they let me make some of my own musical decisions regarding mutes and I think they even let me do a little improvising here and there too.

Not sure where to find the score other than Googling it.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score says cornet. I remember that David Monette made a new C cornet for Wynton for the recording and tour with L'Histoire, and I know that the C cornet is the current preferred choice for L' Histoire. Not sure about this work.

http://wyntonmarsalis.org/store/sheet-music/a-fiddlers-tale
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I stand corrected. It's been a little while since I played it so my memory is a little foggy. But I do remember there were a couple lead trumpet-like lines, not super high, but maybe high D or Eb I was happy to have a Bb trumpet to play and not a cornet. But if the score says cornet, that's what they want.

When I did play it they gave me a video of a band of players from the Juilliard School playing the piece. They did a very nice job with it and I'm pretty sure the trumpet player was using a C Trumpet.

But like I said, it's one of the more free-spirited musicals you'll run across. There is definitely more freedom in interpretation here than the average musical. It's really geared toward young people, although older people can obviously enjoy it too. It's supposed to be a little freer, less stuffy. When I played it we performed for kids at school assemblies and they really liked it. The musical kind of embodies a child-like spirit and curiosity while encouraging and inspiring young people to be creative. I enjoyed playing it and I liked the vibe of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: