• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting back in the game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Getting back in the game Reply with quote

Hey all. It's been a few years since I've been on here. Good to be back!

I'm picking my horn back up after a pretty long hiatus (8 years I think?) I never completely stopped playing. I would do some blowing on my own, and play every now and then for fun. I'm rebuilding my endurance and getting back into the gigging scene now, and I'm in need of some accessories. Since I've been out of the game for so long I am severely out of the loop when it comes to gear. I'm especially in need of mutes. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton makes great mutes. The Warburton Woody cup mutes are really nice, as is the Ingram-MuteMeister cup mute (made by Warburton).

You might also want to check out Soulo. Their adjustable cup mute is excellent.

TrumCor's Zinger is a terrific Harmon-style mute.

Humes & Berg's Stone-Lined "Wee-Zee" Harmon-style mute is another one to consider.

Have fun!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an arsenal of "you can't go wrong" mutes:

Harmon: Jo-Ral Bubble Mute - Great sound and plays in tune. The aluminum model is a lot lighter weight than the copper model. The copper model gets a little richer sound. Don't buy a standard Harmon brand Harmon mute - they don't play in tune.

Cup: Humes & Berg Cup Mute (Regular or Adjustable) - The regular red and white Humes & Berg model has been the standard for years. The adjustable Humes & Berg model is available in aluminum or in copper. The copper version is awesome, the best sound ever, but it's very heavy.

Straight: I don't use a straight mute for anything. I'll let others make recommendations here.

Plunger: The traditional plunger is the basic rubber sink plunger available at a hardware store. To make it work properly you just have to cut a hole where the stick was screwed in. Personally, I like the Jo-Ral Aluminum Plunger better than the basic rubber sink plunger because the Jo-Ral sounds great, already has the hole in the middle is much lighter weight and is much easier to manipulate than the rubber plunger.

Bucket: The red and white Humes & Berg Velvetone Clip-On Bucket Mute has been the standard for years. It comes in two diameters. Make certain you get the diameter that fits your bell.

Cleartone/Solotone: Get the Humes and Berg Cleartone. It's great for those 1920's/1930's effects. Shastock made the Solotone but it's no longer in production.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current favorites:

Harmon: Trumcor Zinger, Emo
Cup and Bucket: Soulo!! The Soulo Cup is my favorite mute, hands down
Straight: Dennis Wick aluminum
Plunger: Terra cotta Sink plunger from the hardware store
Soulotone: Emo

But of course I have a box with like 20 more mutes in it, so try them all! You can often get mutes at great prices from the TH marketplace, I've purchased quite a few that way.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to comment about the Soulo bucket mute. The Soulo bucket mute is the worst excuse for a bucket mute I've ever played. In 57 years of playing I've never been so disappointed in a mute and I tried everything to make the Soulo bucket mute sound like a bucket mute is supposed to sound.

The Humes & Berg Velvetone Bucket Mute has been the standard as long as there have been bucket mutes. There is no legitimate reason to buy any other bucket mute (unless the Humes & Berg won't fit your bell - see discussion below).

I also have a Jo-Ral bucket mute. It fits into the bell instead of clipping onto the bell. The Jo-Ral bucket mute has gotten a lot of criticism on this forum but it's the only bucket mute that fits the extremely large bell of my Adams A8. Wynton sounds amazing on his Jo-Ral bucket mute (the Humes & Berg isn't big enough to fit his Monette bell) but if there was a Humes & Berg big enough to fit my A8 I'd be using it instead of the Jo-Ral (not that I use a bucket mute very often anyway).

I can't comment on Soulo mutes other than their bucket mute because I've had and played only their bucket mute. Their bucket mute is like having no mute. That's my impression from playing it and from hearing others play it. It's a a waste of money if you want an authentic bucket mute sound.
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some shopping/reading to do. I've got some shopping/reading to do!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both a Jo-Ral Copper bubble mute and a Trumcor Zinger. Some things to consider:

- If you have a lightweight trumpet, you are not going to like the heavy weight of the Jo-Ral Copper Bubble. This mute works fine on my Bach Strad, but not on my Schilke HC-1. The Zinger is much lighter in weight.

- The Jo-Ral Copper Bubble has a nice sound. However, the Trumcor Zinger has more buzz at lower volume levels.

- I needed to add another layer of cork to both mutes to get them to fit the large bell of my Schilke. Both fit my Bach Strad perfectly.

- Which mute sounds better is a matter of personal opinion. I like them both. The Zinger has the edge if you like more buzz.

- If I could only have one, I'd opt for the Zinger mainly because of the lighter weight. If I only had the Bach Strad I would be equally happy with either mute.

On the Soulo bucket mute: I love mine. I love the way it looks, the way it attaches to the horn, the light weight and above all, the sound. Your only problem might be matching the sound of a section playing on another mute.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have some mutes I could sell fairly cheap. PM me.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Mutec Copper Bubble Mute. It's a lot "buzzier" than the Jo-Ral Copper Bubble Mute. The Mutec is great for solos. The problem with the Mutec (and any extra buzzy harmon-style mute) is that it won't blend with the section unless they're playing the same or equivalent thing.

Around here the Jo-Ral Bubble Mute (aluminum or copper) is the most frequently encountered harmon-style mute in trumpet sections. Lots of players have one. You might want to check to see what other players in your area are playing.

The thing to avoid with harmon-style mutes is the traditional models. The bubbles play far better in tune than the traditional models especially from second line G down.
Chadly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stopped playing. Career. Kids. Typical story.

I have a ton of very high aquality accessories I'm looking to unload easily. One big package would certainly be easy and I probably have 75%+ of the things you are looking for. PM me and we can try and put something together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I just want to comment about the Soulo bucket mute......

Didn't care for the Soulo bucket either. My preference is the EZ Bucket.

As for cups, I use a Humes & Berg for 95% of my playing. When I want a little different sound for pit orchestras, the Denis Wick cup usually does the job.

For straight, a copper bottomed Tom Crown is my main choice. For some gigs, the old cheap black plastic Bach straight works well.

For harmon, the aluminum Joral bubble works well for me. For a different sound, I'll keep the copper version handy. Tim Wendt has a neat tip to reduce the weight of the copper bubble. For the older, heavier copper bubbles, he had his sanded down on the a lathe. I also found it to make the mute speak a bit faster.

Plunger: hardware store plunger, but larger than most trumpet players use. I guess its the size most tenor bone players use. The extra volume helps to get the sound without messing with the pitch.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmon: Leblanc or JoRal Aluminum for big band, JoRal Copper or Bobby Shew for solos & recording

Cup: Trumcor Classic for small group or Ray Robinson/HB Mic-A-Mute for big band

Straight: JoRal Aluminum

Bucket: Trumcor Bucket or Humes & Berg

Plunger: Mutec or a very specific bulbous shape of toilet plunger

Pixie: JoRal copper piccolo straight mute or HB Pixie

Solo-Tone: Walt Johnson Tuxedo Mute or HB SoloTone

johnlakejazz.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
The Humes & Berg Velvetone Bucket Mute has been the standard as long as there have been bucket mutes. There is no legitimate reason to buy any other bucket mute (unless the Humes & Berg won't fit your bell - see discussion below).

Eazy Bucket Mute. That's a legit reason.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

Eazy Bucket Mute. That's a legit reason.

Not if you want to blend with the section (everyone else in the section will probably be playing the Humes & Berg, it's far and away the most commonly used bucket mute).
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
I might have some mutes I could sell fairly cheap. PM me.

Chadly wrote:
I have stopped playing. Career. Kids. Typical story.

I have a ton of very high aquality accessories I'm looking to unload easily. One big package would certainly be easy and I probably have 75%+ of the things you are looking for. PM me and we can try and put something together.

Thank you both! I will PM you later today!
jerikfp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzhorn, I'd be curious to know how you feel your progress is going after the long layoff. I'm right around the same time for hiatus myself.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I just want to comment about the Soulo bucket mute. The Soulo bucket mute is the worst excuse for a bucket mute I've ever played. In 57 years of playing I've never been so disappointed in a mute and I tried everything to make the Soulo bucket mute sound like a bucket mute is supposed to sound...

Their bucket mute is like having no mute. That's my impression from playing it and from hearing others play it. It's a a waste of money if you want an authentic bucket mute sound.

I have a Soulo bucket mute, and I found that I could fold up the cloth bag and put it inside the bucket before clipping it on the bell to get it to sound more like the expected bucket sound mute. I also found the clips to be very bendy.

IIRC, someone from the Soulo company posted on TH to say that they increased the padding and strengthened the clips since the model I have was made.

Anyway, I bought an Eazy bucket mute in the meantime, and I've been very happy with it. Great sound and easy to put on and take off very quickly. I also have an H&B bucket, but I always use the Eazy.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: