• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Genre of Music to Create Jobs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoungMW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: New Genre of Music to Create Jobs? Reply with quote

I have heard many people say that "it is up to the youth to create a new type of music for jobs". I believe that entirely. I feel that jazz and classical music has lost lots of popularity, and jobs are just not growing on trees. Does anyone actually have any ideas?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a sense I believe it and in a sense I don't...

In the sense that it probably won't happen otherwise, yes it's very much up to the youth.
But the youth of today are so conformist and so easily manipulated en-masse (and there's so much money in doing so) that it's very difficult to be optimistic about the future of music as a serious professional discipline...
Gone are the days of talented musicians - these days the people gaining the most popularity from music (especially with the young) neither need to be able to play an instrument, nor sing more than approximately in tune, they just need someone in the industry to see them as a means to generating cash - and where are the youth in all this? Happily lapping up empty, meaningless and incredibly repetitive lyrics, sung in often very unappealing styles on top of repeated computerized samples and with crazy amounts of editing done - and they'll actually defend this "music" as being the product of real talent and as being progress above and beyond what came before...
If any evidence were needed that the young are easily led into believing anything, one only need tune in a radio to a station they listen to and wonder how on earth such rubbish could be so popular.

The music "industry" is broken - it's become so bloated with cash that it exists mostly to promote itself and generate more cash, as is often the way: "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

(Edit: sorry, I can be quite cynical in the mornings... But I just don't see any cause for optimism here)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop, my son is in a signed and touring indie band. I can assure you that the level of creativity and quality of musicianship is at an unbelievable high point in that genre. I can submit to the idea that this style of music isn't your cup of tea, but it's very well written, and it's performed at a very high degree of musicianship. As for my son specifically, as a guitarist he's into open chord tunings, so not only can he play in the more normal tunings of standard, drop D and drop C, he can also bounce around roughly 20 other open chord tunings, and he does this at will - he's an astounding musician. IMO he has surpassed anything I ever accomplished, and I have worked as a musician for the last 30 years.

This idea that you proffered, "gone are the days of talented musicians," couldn't be less true. It's certainly not true when it comes to classical musicians. The young men and women winning slots in the world's top-tier orchestras are phenomenal musicians, and they play at levels that have never been seen before this current day and age. Competition for those jobs is so fierce that a player can't have any deficiencies in their playing - they have to be total/whole musicians, and then they have to have the auditions of their lives, or they won't get the slot.

Regarding the industry being broken and bloated with cash, I also don't see that as being true either. The internet changed everything. Musicians now have ways that are virtually free to promote themselves, so what we're seeing in a saturation in the market of scads of musicians trying to self-promote. Don't believe for a second that the garbage we're hearing on pop radio is what music has become - they might be the only musicians making any real money, but under the surface there is a plethora of great music by talented people out there in the world of social media, and you don't have to look very hard to find it.

Unfortunately, that's part of the problem - people are so willing to freely self-promote via the internet and social media, they are essentially giving it away for free, so no one wants to pay for anything anymore.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
... Don't believe for a second that the garbage we're hearing on pop radio is what music has become - they might be the only musicians making any real money, but under the surface there is a plethora of great music by talented people out there in the world of social media, and you don't have to look very hard to find it

I don't disagree with your gist - I don't deny that there are still talented people out there...

But the question (and the point of my reply) was essentially about where the jobs are going to come from - what I described were (broadbrush speaking) the people making "real money".
The rest (as you desribed very nicely) struggle and battle for scraps because of the lack of people wanting to pay for anything (if they can possibly avoid it) these days - I don't think people are only disinterested in paying because there's so much out there, they're disinterested in paying regardless and how much is out there facilitates that (same difference in the end, though).
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy's been great for the top 10%; for the rest of us it's been a matter of just getting by on less and less. There's just not a lot of money sloshing around out there. It's not like we've got hundreds of dollars to spend every month to spend on some new kind of music if it would only show up.

It would be nice to have a new type of music though. I was hoping Balkan brass would catch on in the US but it hasn't so far.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't think the issue with jobs for trumpet players is primarily an issue with the current taste in music.

Certainly, the popular music is a factor. But I'm not sure that a bigger factor might not be the overall economics of making music. To a large degree, technology has replaced manual labor and that has been true in the music business as well.

Live performances are a premium product. They are expensive. The cheapest way to get music is to play recorded music. Probably the cheapest form of "live" entertainment is the D.J. Next in line would probably be a solo guitar/singer. Around here we have a lady who sings to backing tracks - lots of cheap, popular music.

If you want a good, live performance for a trumpet, you need to have several musicians. People are the most expensive component of live music and each one you add drives up the cost significantly - that is, if the musicians wish to earn enough money to subsist.

I don't know the music business. Perhaps life is better for live performers of rap, country or other forms of pop music. But I get the impression that live performances in general have lost quite a bit to recorded music. People who know better can correct me if I am mistaken.

I have a hunch that though an increased demand for big band, salsa, jazz ensembles or a new genre of trumpet related music would help, economics is a bigger driver.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh consider that the failure rate regarding a career in music is 85% and the fact that less than 1% in popular music are successful this means that for every popular artist in the aforementioned genres you name are several who will never see the success that mass media has promoted for ages. With that said a there is no need for a new genre and/or genres to emerge. I know who the pop acts are just by glancing at news but I don't listen to nor support any of 'em financially but I also don't have a "music was so much better back in my day" view either.

trickg congrats to your son and I wish him all the best.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also don't have a "music was so much better back in my day" view either.

Personally, I think that popular music went south starting in about the 60's or 70's, but regardless of your opinion regarding the state of pop music, there is currently a greater variety of music available than in the past.

Really, nowadays there is ready access to just about any type of music to which you might want to listen. Pop is force fed via the radio and TV. You have to make the effort to search out less popular genres on the Internet, but they are there if you want them.

The thing is, nowadays access to music is primarily via recordings and the Internet, not live performance. So, prior to recordings and radio, live performance was your only option. Later, recordings, radio and later still TV made access easier. Now, the Internet has made access to music easier than at any time in history. However, it appears to me that the increased access has contributed to the decline in the popularity of live performances which demand a greater investment by the listener in effort, time and money.

Obviously, this is not a scientific fact, just my own musings.

Warm regards,
Grits

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the band my son is with, Have Mercy - he co-wrote this record, recorded guitar leads in the studio, and plays lead guitar when they tour. Guitar solo at 2:08 and again at the end.

Link

I'm guessing that this thread started with the idea of where trumpet players fit into the scheme of things, but there is a ton of music being created in the underground that isn't making it's way into the mainstream.

For what it's worth, Dale Earnhardt Jr. was asked the other day on Twitter what music he was currently listening to, and he named Have Mercy on Hopeless Records, which I thought was pretty cool.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shameless plug - this one actually has my son in it - he's the Jesus looking guy playing guitar on the right.

Link

- ACB Doubler

Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg, I wish your son all the best.

Warm regards,
Grits
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found that live audiences love a good brass section. Esp one with a solid lead player who knows how to please them and doesnt rub out of gas. Lots of endurance.

Build that band and promote it? You might go far. Its only the music industry which ignores us.

Take it straight to the people. Thats what Herb Alpert did

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:

These are considerably different times than what the world was at the time Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass became popular. I'm not sure that would work these days.
- ACB Doubler

DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Lionel wrote:

These are considerably different times than what the world was at the time Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass became popular. I'm not sure that would work these days.

I agree. I am certain that what happened back in the 1960s with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass will most definitely not happen again. Those days are long, and I mean, long gone. I was around and playing trumpet actively back then. Also, a big Herb Alpert fan all my life.

There is only one Herb Alpert. He is an extremely exceptional case in point in regard to just about everything that has to do with music performance, arranging, recording, trumpet playing, or the music business in general.

It is worth remembering that not only was the height of the popularity of the Tijuana Brass about 50 years ago, but also that Herb Alpert was the A in A&M Records. He was in the right place at the right time with an original and what turned into a highly commercial concept. He, along with partner Jerry Moss, happened to be extremely successful as well in the "business" side of the music business. He was extremely lucky. Everything somehow fell into place at the time and place that needed to do so.

The "Herb Alpert story", so to speak, isn't going to be repeated by anyone else. He exists, and always will, in a category by himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: