• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The one...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gottfried Reiche

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

Nope; I'm done.

HAHAHA
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Nope; I'm done.

HAHAHA

Still done.
Dave CCM/SSO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of Herseth in his studio. Certainly far more than 1 mouthpiece. Pretty cool

https://youtu.be/K4WiO5wwKig

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH) - Trumpet 2
- www.springfieldsym.org
Director of Music - First Pres. of Fort Thomas, KY
- www.ftfpc.org
cbtj51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed your video Jayson. Hope you've found "the one"!

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:
Here's a video of Herseth in his studio. Certainly far more than 1 mouthpiece. Pretty cool

Ha! A couple of years ago, I visited my college roommate from 1969. After sitting in his studio for a few minutes catching up on life, he marched out many classic horns from years past including one of Al Hirt's old horns complete with photos of Al Hirt and himself over the years. He also produced a box (not small) of mouthpieces that have been his favourites over many decades including one of mine from at least 30 years ago. After a while he produced one of my old horns that, after playing a bit and much diplomacy, made the trip home with me.

I was one of the "lucky" players that never went on the mouthpiece or horn safari, though I tried a few mouthpieces during my teen years before finding the right one back in 1972, which was the Reeves 1S695 (I mostly played Big Band lead and Latin bands back then). I have played the Reeves 41 rim (the successor to the #1) ever since! I use different bottoms depending on the music requirements, but the 41 Rim stays the same. After many years of playing, I have developed what another Trumpet player friend has called "topography" on my upper lip which fits the 41 perfectly, so changing has never been a thought. I feel the same way about horns and I still have and play most of the horns that I have ever owned. If it works, why mess with it?

1971 LA Benge (very Early) 5X Bb Trumpet
1976 Getzen 595S Flugelhorn
1976 Bach Stradivarius CL 229 C Trumpet
1984 Yamaha 6335S (very Early) Bb Trumpet
2016 Bach Stradivarius New York 7 Bb Trumpet
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Enjoyed your video Jayson. Hope you've found "the one"!

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:

Ha! A couple of years ago, I visited my college roommate from 1969. After sitting in his studio for a few minutes catching up on life, he marched out many classic horns from years past including one of Al Hirt's old horns complete with photos of Al Hirt and himself over the years. He also produced a box (not small) of mouthpieces that have been his favourites over many decades including one of mine from at least 30 years ago. After a while he produced one of my old horns that, after playing a bit and much diplomacy, made the trip home with me.

I was one of the "lucky" players that never went on the mouthpiece or horn safari, though I tried a few mouthpieces during my teen years before finding the right one back in 1972, which was the Reeves 1S695 (I mostly played Big Band lead and Latin bands back then). I have played the Reeves 41 rim (the successor to the #1) ever since! I use different bottoms depending on the music requirements, but the 41 Rim stays the same. After many years of playing, I have developed what another Trumpet player friend has called "topography" on my upper lip which fits the 41 perfectly, so changing has never been a thought. I feel the same way about horns and I still have and play most of the horns that I have ever owned. If it works, why mess with it?

Yep. Thanks. Still only have the one...the same one.

And, Greg Black and his pieces are just amazing. He must be a wizard or something, because it seems like it would have taken one to end my safari, but he did it!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I have a confession to make. I only own one mouthpiece. In fact, for about the last two months, I've only owned one mouthpiece. I have no desire to buy another mouthpiece, ever, unless I need something more specialized one day.

If you happen to be curious, I'm on a Greg Black 3CD/25/9

One day I'd like to be back in that place. I think that if I ever stop playing in a setting where I'm looking to get that bright, cutting sound, I may eventually get to a place where I can find one mouthpiece and stick with it - that's what I did years ago, and I did some of my best playing at that point in my life.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: