• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

S.E. Shires Q&A: What do you want to know?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: S.E. Shires Q&A: What do you want to know? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kenny, and I am a craftsman at S.E. Shires. We thought it would be a good idea to have a presence here on the forum to address any questions you may have about the horns we make or our company. As the resident "gearhead" at Shires, I'll (hopefully) be able to answer some things for you!

So --- what do you want to know?
MarineTrumpet84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Shires C trumpet Reply with quote

I have a Shires AHW and a 4MWF with a YER leadpipe. I love both of my horns but feel the C is little tight and not as open as my Bb. What could you do to help open the C up for me?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny,

Many of the questions I see about Shires trumpets pertain to how the various Bb and C models relate to horns others may be more familiar with. Would you address that?

For example, if you like a Bach 37 you might find that a Shires A or AF is a good fit...if you like a Bach 229 you might find that a Shires 4F is a good fit...if you like a Benge 3X MLP you might find that the CVLA-Large is a good fit....

Shires makes great horns. I am really happy with my 4F C.

Thanks!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out a bunch of horns at Rich Ita's shop in Atlanta. Of all the horns that I tried, the Shires Destino III is the horn that impressed me the most. Everything about the horn was wonderful, but it was the shimmering tone that really sets it apart. What a sound.

I don't play well enough to deserve such a horn, but I do have a question. Is there a lottery for one of these I can enter?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more about the CVP. I understand it is based on a prewar Besson. Was a specific horn used as a model (Brevette, MEHA, 'Rapuano' etc.? Is it an all brass horn? How would it compare to a CLW?
Thanks!!
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What vintage horn(s) influenced the CVLA models?
Inderbinen Wood Flugelhorn
https://crciorba.com/
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I would love to know more about the CVP. I understand it is based on a prewar Besson. Was a specific horn used as a model (Brevette, MEHA, 'Rapuano' etc.? Is it an all brass horn? How would it compare to a CLW?
Thanks!!

I'll second that one. It seems like we rarely hear about the CVP, but it's probably the one I'm most curious about.
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -- back in action. My username was inactivated for a while -- trying to get some email snafus sorted out. Anyway...

MarineTrumpet84 wrote:
I have a Shires AHW and a 4MWF with a YER leadpipe. I love both of my horns but feel the C is little tight and not as open as my Bb. What could you do to help open the C up for me?

Glad you like your horns! C's are a little tighter feeling in general as compared to Bb's, but sometimes the blow doesn't quite fit with what you're looking for. There are a number of things we can do for you, depending on different factors. Mouthpiece gap is the first thing we would want to check, but other adjustments can be made if that isn't the culprit. Give the shop a call or shoot them a message via the website. We'd be happy to work with you further on the horn. C's can be tricky!

Dayton wrote:
Many of the questions I see about Shires trumpets pertain to how the various Bb and C models relate to horns others may be more familiar with. Would you address that?

Absolutely. We're not reinventing the wheel at Shires, we try to make something that works better by working with different artists and craftspeople, so a large portion of our lineup is relatively congruous with existing mass-produced models. For example, Bb trumpets with our A bells are similar to a Bach 37, B bells may sound similar to a Bach 43, C bells a Bach 72. The options that we offer alter the instruments performance characteristics in different ways, and the combinations are endless -- we will build you anything. When I have a little more time I'll put together an informal table for the forum if interest warrants. In the meantime, if you have a horn that you like and would like to know if we make something similar, let me know.

Grits Burgh wrote:
I tried out a bunch of horns at Rich Ito's shop in Atlanta. Of all the horns that I tried, the Shires Destino III is the horn that impressed me the most. Everything about the horn was wonderful, but it was the shimmering tone that really sets it apart. What a sound.

I don't play well enough to deserve such a horn, but I do have a question. Is there a lottery for one of these I can enter?

Haha! You deserve one That's the great thing about trumpets across our lineup, they play so well, and you don't need to be a pro to get the benefits of a true handmade instrument. No plans for a lottery yet, but if you place an order, we'll get one to you! Our Destino models are some of our most popular horns, and not just for jazz players. People find they work incredibly well in all situations and playing styles.

bixtone wrote:

The CVP is definitely based on the French Besson, and I can check on Monday if we used a specific model, or just took the best of it all. A lot of the spec info is on the page on our website: https://www.seshires.com/model-cvp. It's an all brass horn, very light, with a French bell bead and side seam.

Existentialist wrote:
What vintage horn(s) influenced the CVLA models?

Benges. Definitely Benges. I just play-tested an XL bore CVLA this week that went out to a customer. It's LOUD. Fun horn, very efficient. and easy to make noise on. Eventually we'll offer a full M, ML, L, XL bore lineup for the CVLA's. They're becoming very popular, very quickly.

Thanks for your questions! Keep 'em coming!

Kenny
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT THREAD!!!

Are reverse leadpipes an option on all horns, specific horns, none??

Thanks!

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidtwist wrote:
Are reverse leadpipes an option on all horns, specific horns, none??

We can put anything on anything, or make anything, essentially. The models listed on our site are our most popular combinations that we have found work well together for most people. Right now, I don't believe we have anything listed as standard with a reverse pipe, (I think -- I'll need to check during the week) but it is certainly an option. We have a prototype Q Series horn right now that comes with a reverse pipe, and soon will be a regular offering.

Our reverse pipes are of the "hidden" variety that allow the Z-brace to be properly aligned, similar to Malone and Yamaha Artist reverse pipes.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kenny!

Thanks for starting this thread. This is very cool!!

I play a shires 401and a shires AZ and I couldn't be happier. I love these horns!

I know that the AZ has a slightly more square bell bend. Can you tell me what effect that has on a trumpet?

Thanks!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny@Shires wrote:
Our reverse pipes are of the "hidden" variety that allow the Z-brace to be properly aligned, similar to Malone and Yamaha Artist reverse pipes.

Does this include Bb horns?

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:
I play a shires 401and a shires AZ and I couldn't be happier. I love these horns!

I know that the AZ has a slightly more square bell bend. Can you tell me what effect that has on a trumpet?

When a bell has a square bend, normally a player will notice crisper attacks, and a more efficient blow. That is to say, often people will experience a "tighter" blow, but I like to think "efficient" is a more accurate way to approach playing it

Alternately, a round bend will tend to feel more open with less aggressive articulations. Some may notice a "smoother" sound, if you will, where a square bend may have more bark.

It's all about balance -- I don't mean to say that every horn with a round bend is loose feeling and has soupy attacks. I suspect that your 401 has a traditional C trumpet feel with very crisp attacks even though it has a rounder bend. We try to find the best combination and balance of sound, feel, blow, attack, intonation, and slotting in every instrument.

Last edited by Kenny@Shires on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidtwist wrote:
Kenny@Shires wrote:

Does this include Bb horns?

Yep!

An Edit:

I was thinking of the C trumpets earlier -- our Bb reverse leadpipes are like what you would find on a Bach or Yamaha Bb, NOT a hidden reverse. We only use the hidden reverse style on our C's

Last edited by Kenny@Shires on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. I toured the shop a couple of years back and was extremely impressed with the operation.
I have a very early BLWS (serial # <150), a Destino III, a 5S8 C, and the new picc. Suffice it to say that I'm a fan.
The BLWS is still my favorite horn ever. When I had it at the shop, nobody even remember making a BLW with the S.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
....When I had it at the shop, nobody even remember making a BLW with the S.

What does S indicate?
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry - it stands for steel bead on the bell rim.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you have a ML bore version of the CVLA available to the public?
Inderbinen Wood Flugelhorn
https://crciorba.com/
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Existentialist wrote:
When will you have a ML bore version of the CVLA available to the public?

We're prototyping them now. I can see if I can find a relatively firm date for you this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: