• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good music programs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben folds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone could give me any info they have about the following schools (trumpet professors, their credentials, size of the music dept, how hard it is to get in, etc), I'd greatly appreciate it:

Tulane
University of Michigan
Florida State University
Indiana University
University of Toronto
Northwestern University
University of Texas
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of that, you can do internet searches and get on the school of music websites. I do know that the michigan studio has been winning a lot of competitions and festival openings recently. PH can give you some good insight on Indiana as can the alumns floating around the board. Northwestern is extremely competitive. I believe it's still Geyer and Butler teaching up there. Nick should chime in about FSU soon too. I hope this helps a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Texas - Austin has a tremendous trumpet teacher in Dr. Ray Sasaki. He came from UIUC (University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign) and from what I have heard is a great teacher.
telex95

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Toronto has a great jazz program. Check it out at http://www.utoronto.ca/music/html/home/programs/undergrad/jazz/jazzhome.html
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of North Florida has a sweet jazz program, check them out too.

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being at North Texas probably makes me a bit bias, but (depending on what you want, of course) this is a great performance school. Especially for Jazz. In reference to UT Austin, they also have a fine program, and I beleive that one of their teachers is an alumn of UNT...
The profs here are John Holt and Keith Johnson, both fine, fine players.
Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...you asked how hard it is to get in...Depends on what you want to do. If you wanto be performance (classical, but jazz especially) its tough. If you wanto simply study music, though (music ed, composition, theory) it isn't so selective...
mateoshaw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.unfjazzensemble.com

I've had nothing but positive experiences here at UNF. It's definitely a place where everyone goes to get their stuff together. I transfered to finish my last two years of undergrad. In only those two year of being in the top group here I've played with Mulgrew Miller, Terence Blanchard, Maria Schneider, Dave Brubeck, Steve Coleman, Jon Faddis, Slide Hampton, Antonio Hart, Conrad Herwig, and our own Bunky Green. The group has played in Chicago, Toronto, Vienne, Montreux, North Sea, and we just came back from a clininc at the New York IAJE. Annual recording projects... Downbeat award for best college big band in the country...

That being said, I would also say if you are in need of a strong classical program or a problem solver (i.e. chop problems) trumpet teacher, you might want to look elsewhere to at least start out. I felt without a strong foundation I might not have been quite as successful here.

FYI- The band is touring Japan next year as well as recording with Tom Harrel and possibly Joe Lovano. I'm moving on, but they are always looking for young talent.

Make sure you gather as much information as possible and good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: