• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Methods for range development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Methods for range development Reply with quote

The top of my range seems to have been stuck at high C for years, so I'm trying a couple of range development methods. The first one is the "Casual Double-High C" method by Bob Odneal. Odneal exercises begin with easy scales that successively top out higher and higher. You are supposed to use minimal pressure and stop when you have to use force.

The other range development technique I'm trying is the Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique by Roy Stevens. I've been working on what he calls the "palm exercise", whereby you put the trumpet into your palm (to prevent using arm pressure I think) and begin on any note above middle C and glissando to to any higher note. You do this 10-15 minutes, rest 5 minutes, then repeat.

I've been working these two methods regularly for about a month now. With the Stevens technique, I can "squeal" up to high C and often higher, but there is no volume behind it. Stevens says that at first these sounds are more or less like wind whistling through a crack -- and that's a good description. With the Odneal method, I can sometimes scale up to high D, or very rarely a high E.

Does anyone have experience with these methods and can speak to their effectiveness and how long you have to stay at them to actually notice a difference in your range, for example, playing charts in a big band?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the most important factor are the specifics of the mechanics of what you're doing. If you've been playing a while and you're stuck at a high C, there's an issue with the mechanics - just doing endless exercises in of themselves won't help with range - it's not so much about building strength it's finding the key to adjusting your mechanics. You may or may not unconsciously make necessary adjustments that lead to increased range as the result of doing exercises.

How much/little meat you have in the mp, the way the mp seats on the lips, how you seat it on the lips, specific engagement of the muscles, distribution of pressure, horn angle, opening of teeth & oral cavity, use of the tongue, using enough air. The mp also makes a difference.

IMO horn on hand low pressure exercises are more of a stunt than a useful method. Some can pull it off due to the shape of their lips but no one plays like that, the examples I've heard produce a lousy sound that I would never want to emulate.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the best range methods are the ones that work progressively to move you up the staff with some good ideas and tips about how to proceed. Some that I like are:

Eby Scientific Method for Trumpet

Knevitt Developing 21st Century Range and Endurance

Deutsch The Extended Trumpet Range

Peters Total Range

Schaeffer The Stratosphere of Cornet Playing
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worked best for me was Maggio.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget Maggio! Such a great book as well. He had chop trouble from an accident and dug his way out of it and created a whole new way to think about playing. I love that.
Trumpetbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lot out of Jay Zorn's "Exploring The Trumpet's Upper Register" (Kendor) and Rolf Quinque's "ASA" Method (BIM)
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maggio System For Brass as a true Range Method Book. Nowadays, I practice range after my legit practice using a particular set of exercises.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out David Hickman's new range book.
JaredMoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Methods for range development Reply with quote

slee wrote:
The top of my range seems to have been stuck at high C for years, so I'm trying a couple of range development methods. The first one is the "Casual Double-High C" method by Bob Odneal. Odneal exercises begin with easy scales that successively top out higher and higher. You are supposed to use minimal pressure and stop when you have to use force.

The other range development technique I'm trying is the Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique by Roy Stevens. I've been working on what he calls the "palm exercise", whereby you put the trumpet into your palm (to prevent using arm pressure I think) and begin on any note above middle C and glissando to to any higher note. You do this 10-15 minutes, rest 5 minutes, then repeat.

I've been working these two methods regularly for about a month now. With the Stevens technique, I can "squeal" up to high C and often higher, but there is no volume behind it. Stevens says that at first these sounds are more or less like wind whistling through a crack -- and that's a good description. With the Odneal method, I can sometimes scale up to high D, or very rarely a high E.

Does anyone have experience with these methods and can speak to their effectiveness and how long you have to stay at them to actually notice a difference in your range, for example, playing charts in a big band?

I find that the bet range building book for me is "Double High C in 37 Weeks" this book does many pedal tones and is played every other day. I highly recommend it.
samdelong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personallythink this is the best way to get high range, with sound, that I've seen many players including myself do. Get a shallow mouthpiece, and build your range on that. After you are satisfied with your range on that, go a bit deeper, and deeper, until you're back where you started. Increasing range on a smaller mouthpiece will help you develop proper habits, and it'll be alot more fun so you'll want to practice more. If you work on having a big open sound, as you get slightly bigger and bigger, your range will drop a small bit, but those good habits you developed will make it easier to get back to where you were.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Augie Hass .... we have a lot of information compiled here:

http://www.trumpetplayersdirectory.com/trumpetrange.html ... I am striving to add as I have the time and can find the motivation.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a player that been on a range plateau for years, I have limited faith that a method book will greatly improve things. I'm going to guess that getting with the right teacher has a better chance of a breakthrough.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
samdelong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try watching big band lead players or people like maynard at the end of gigs, or when they're really tired. You'll start to see some techniques more exaggerated that help them play, and you can implement them into your playing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: