• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Deal!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Deal!!! Reply with quote

On ebay now:

Olds Ambassador Special Trumpet Blast Bright Lacquer #635

$7,000.00

That's right, 7K, must be one he** of an Ambassador.
And the seller is not even Hotdeal!
🙄

Brad
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to offer him $50
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG what a putz!

BRB, off to buy a bead-blasting cabinet ...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
I'm going to offer him $50

Yeah yeah, we already knew you would, I actually thought you already had.
😉😉

I actually did offer him 5.00, he countered with 350.00, I'm surprised he bothered to respond to my obviously sarcastic offer.

He really did send me a pm saying he had placed the ad after eye surgery, not sure I'm buying that.....and I'm not buying the horn either.

Oh well, if it's his horn I guess he can ask whatever he wants for it.

Brad
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Deal Reply with quote

I only had a couple experiences playing Olds trumpets back in the sixties. The ones I played all leaked air from every seam they had. I wouldn't care about the historical value of anything. $7000 is a good downpayment on a Monette.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Deal Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I only had a couple experiences playing Olds trumpets back in the sixties. The ones I played all leaked air from every seam they had. I wouldn't care about the historical value of anything. $7000 is a good downpayment on a Monette.

That's absurd if it's only a down payment.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually a very common sales technique. One starts an auction on eBay. Since the seller never intends to complete the auction on eBay and incur the associated fees, they place an insane price on the instrument.

This accomplishes a number of things. First some sucker might actually pay the asking price and the seller ends up with a great profit.

Second someone might contact the seller and complete a sale off eBay eliminating the fees while paying a realistic price.

Finally you get people who post about the insane asking price on social media and forums like this resulting in free advertising. Then you get people who keep the original posts alive by chiming in.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Finally you get people who post about the insane asking price on social media and forums like this resulting in free advertising. Then you get people who keep the original posts alive by chiming in.

Well......ok, you're probably correct. But as this is "The Lounge" I didn't (and don't) think it's inappropriate to discuss here.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Well......ok, you're probably correct. But as this is "The Lounge" I didn't (and don't) think it's inappropriate to discuss here.

Brad

I never meant to imply that it was wrong to post about it. I am just surprised that people haven't caught on to this tactic.

I see similar posts on TM periodically.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Brad

I never meant to imply that it was wrong to post about it. I am just surprised that people haven't caught on to this tactic.

You're probably correct, and I sure do not want to help guys who put ridiculous prices on items. Maybe it's a bit like many scams; a tiny percentage of people who fall for them is enough to keep these guys in business.

Good points.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Brad

You're probably correct, and I sure do not want to help guys who put ridiculous prices on items. Maybe it's a bit like many scams; a tiny percentage of people who fall for them is enough to keep these guys in business.

Good points.

Brad

There is one guy, hotdeal1smoko, who has done this for years. He must be having success. I can't see getting any fun out of setting up a bunch of failing auctions. Thread on TM.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Brad

Good points.

Brad

There is one guy, hotdeal1smoko, who has done this for years. He must be having success. I can't see getting any fun out of setting up a bunch of failing auctions. Thread on TM.

Yep, I'm familiar with that guy.

As I mentioned, I guess it only takes a very small percentage of people to buy something at an exorbitant price to make it worthwhile.

Brad
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

As I mentioned, I guess it only takes a very small percentage of people to buy something at an exorbitant price to make it worthwhile.

Brad

Like that episode of King Of The Hill where Bill cuts Hank's hair and Hank insists on paying for it ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: