• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Tale of Two Burbanks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Burbanks Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Under King, the factory was moved to Fullerton, east of Los Angeles.

Excellent article Brian, but I believe you are confusing the location of the Olds factory (Fullerton) with the location they moved the Benge factory to (Anaheim). If I am wrong please forgive me.

Concerning the longer piston stroke, while it is true that the 3X+ had a longer stroke than the other Benge models, even the others had a longer stroke and consequently less intrusion in the passages through the pistons than Bach or Schilke trumpets. Claude Gordon pointed this out to me in 1979 when he was extolling on the virtues of the CG Benge trumpet.

Concerning how to embed YouTube links into TH posts, you just need to remove the s from the https portion of the link, then highlight it and click the YouTube button above. Like this:

Link

Note also that the URL address you use needs to be the one that appears in the URL address box AFTER you've gone to the video. If you use the address provided by YouTube to you as the creator of the video it will not embed properly.

Cheers,

John Mohan

John,

It's entirely possible I've got things wrong, but I seem to remember someone telling me about their trip to the Benge factory shortly after it was moved from Los Angeles. They said it was next to an open field in Fullerton and techs would go outside to a fence line to spray lacquer the horns.

I do think it was Fullerton from LA and later to Anaheim. That is the thread of memory built in my mind from numerous conversations and posts...

For the record, I had Michael proof read it for historical accuracy, but who knows...

Brian,

You have quite a memory. I believe I told you that story some years ago about visiting the new Benge factory and watching them spray the horns outside. However, the factory was in Anaheim.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Burbanks Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Under King, the factory was moved to Fullerton, east of Los Angeles.

Excellent article Brian, but I believe you are confusing the location of the Olds factory (Fullerton) with the location they moved the Benge factory to (Anaheim). If I am wrong please forgive me.

Concerning the longer piston stroke, while it is true that the 3X+ had a longer stroke than the other Benge models, even the others had a longer stroke and consequently less intrusion in the passages through the pistons than Bach or Schilke trumpets. Claude Gordon pointed this out to me in 1979 when he was extolling on the virtues of the CG Benge trumpet.

Concerning how to embed YouTube links into TH posts, you just need to remove the s from the https portion of the link, then highlight it and click the YouTube button above. Like this:

Link

Note also that the URL address you use needs to be the one that appears in the URL address box AFTER you've gone to the video. If you use the address provided by YouTube to you as the creator of the video it will not embed properly.

Cheers,

John Mohan

John,

It's entirely possible I've got things wrong, but I seem to remember someone telling me about their trip to the Benge factory shortly after it was moved from Los Angeles. They said it was next to an open field in Fullerton and techs would go outside to a fence line to spray lacquer the horns.

I do think it was Fullerton from LA and later to Anaheim. That is the thread of memory built in my mind from numerous conversations and posts...

For the record, I had Michael proof read it for historical accuracy, but who knows...

Brian,

You have quite a memory. I believe I told you that story some years ago about visiting the new Benge factory and watching them spray the horns outside. However, the factory was in Anaheim.

How cool is it to be corrected by the guy who told the story!
Seriously, thanks for setting me straight. Anaheim, it is, then.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want a THAT price for a new handmade horn!!!

i even have the $50 deposit at the ready
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

I bet that was wholesale. I bought mine in 1977 for $633.00 from a dealer in Fullerton.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's about what i paid too
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
homebilly wrote:

I bet that was wholesale. I bought mine in 1977 for $633.00 from a dealer in Fullerton.

I bought a Burbank Benge #7721 in 1969 from my local Benge seller, Jerry Callet, for $325. Still have it. -Mark
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another interesting receipt. It's for the Burbank Benge 6X ordered by Claude Gordon for his student Lowell Stevenson, built with the reduced bore, .464" bell tube that would be one of the three main things done to the 6X to create the 6XCG model shortly thereafter. I'm pretty sure the bell on this Burbank Benge was also buffed down as the horn is very light at only 907 grams (this being the second of the three modifications that would create a Benge 6XCG trumpet). The third modification done to create a CG Benge was the installation of a copy of the leadpipe from Claude's beloved French Besson Meha trumpet - the Meha leadpipe had a much more open Venturi section than a stock Benge leadpipe, .358" versus about .345". This Burbank 6X plays just a little darker than a typical CG Benge and I think the reason is the stock Benge leadpipe in it. This horn is my prized Burbank Benge that I bought from Lowell when he was foolish enough to sell it to me back around 2001. Fortunately he doesn't seem to realized his mistake (yet). My understanding is the horn was built at the Burbank location just before the move to the Olive Street address, and then the company remained on Olive Street for just a short time.

https://s25.postimg.org/7h88155qn/Burbank_Benge_Bill_of_Sale.jpg
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

That receipt doesn't reflect the full price paid - it looks to me to be a receipt for a payment received against a balance. Given that my Burbank Benge was sold for $450 through Claude Gordon to Lowell at what was probably a very good price since Lowell was a student of Claude's, I'm sure the full price was at least $450 for the horn sold to Phil Shoptaugh.

According to the CPI Calculator $450 in May 1971 had the same buying power as $2733 today. And bear in mind, my Burbank was sold with Lacquer, not silver. Just the other day Steve Dillard (www.horntrader.com) quoted me a price of $2750 for a new Burbank 6XCG in Silver. So the new horn is actually a pretty good deal!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey maybe I'm a little slow to the party, but I just noticed that the Benge logo on the receipt (and also on the bells of the early horns) actually uses the notes to spell out EEBENGE for Elden Eugene Benge. How cool is that?!?!

Last edited by John Mohan on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Hey maybe I'm a little slow to the party...,

John,

I hate to break it to you, but... Elden passed away.

http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Hey maybe I'm a little slow to the party...,

John,

I hate to break it to you, but... Elden passed away.

http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/

I said slow to the party, not "missed the party entirely".

And Edwin Eugene Benge died in 1979, many years after Elden. Which has nothing to do with Elden or the line of Benge trumpets (though Edwin's father's first name was Claude). To all who are now confused, in my earlier post I accidentally referred to Elden Eugene Benge as Edwin Eugene Benge. And it turns out, by sheer coincidence, that there was an Edwin Eugene Benge. Maybe he was a distant cousin of Elden's. He looks like he was a nice man.

Fubar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
According to the CPI Calculator $450 in May 1971 had the same buying power as $2733 today. And bear in mind, my Burbank was sold with Lacquer, not silver. Just the other day Steve Dillard (www.horntrader.com) quoted me a price of $2750 for a new Burbank 6XCG in Silver. So the new horn is actually a pretty good deal!

Hello John,
I noticed the the price of a new Burbank 6XCG in Silver on Horn Trader website, is on sale for $3350. Is this the same horn?
www.horntrader.com/burbank-trumpets/151-burbank-6-claude-gordon-470464-wcg-leadpipe-extra-light-weight-bell.html
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fubar wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Hello John,
I noticed the the price of a new Burbank 6XCG in Silver on Horn Trader website, is on sale for $3350. Is this the same horn?
www.horntrader.com/burbank-trumpets/151-burbank-6-claude-gordon-470464-wcg-leadpipe-extra-light-weight-bell.html

This price listing came up on this thread and it was noted that Steve called it "a typo." For the current pricing, email Michael Thomas here : resp88fa@verizon.net

vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun read, thanks for the post.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fubar wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Hello John,

In a recent conversation Steve told me at this time he could sell a show model 6X-C/G Silver demo horn for $2500 and a brand new one for $2750.
Fubar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John and Brian,
I found out there are three prices; The Pro price, the sweet talk Steve price, and the see if he will budge, $3350 MAP price. LOL!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fubar wrote:
Hello John and Brian,
I found out there are three prices; The Pro price, the sweet talk Steve price, and the see if he will budge, $3350 MAP price. LOL!

There is always more than one price and more than one way to pay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: