• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Could this be a Ditson Victory?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The3rdbill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Could this be a Ditson Victory? Reply with quote

A few years ago I traded a guitar effects pedal for this Cornet that a guy found in the attic of his historic house and I believe it may be an antique Ditson Victory.

http://app.5miles.us/mi2zm5p
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have "Ditson" engraved on it?
The3rdbill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Does it have "Ditson" engraved on it?

No, but it has Victory engraved on it, and to my understanding not all of the Czech made Ditson horns had their name on them.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the assumption that it's actually a Ditson is premature. Did they make long cornets? The only Ditson photos I have found are of short models. Was Ditson still in business when long cornets became common in the US?
The3rdbill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I think the assumption that it's actually a Ditson is premature. Did they make long cornets? The only Ditson photos I have found are of short models. Was Ditson still in business when long cornets became common in the US?

The only reason I made that assumption, is because a local brass repair shop told me that it most likely was a Ditson based on the photographs I provided. However, they may have been just trying to sell me a repair/cleaning service. Who knows. I came here because I thought out of all of the brass enthusiasts, someone could help me out a little. The horn is certainly old (pre 1950's) because of the proprietary mouthpiece size, and it is still an interesting decorative piece and very functional horn. It has a great bright and brassy sound. Much more so than the Conn cornet I played for my 6 years in marching band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: