• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Q's about Monkes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Q's about Monkes Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
Question 7: Would I be accepted in a top tier orchestra with a Monke? Or would I be tossed out into the darkness just because a different player maybe has the brand new Schagerl, Lechner or Weimann?

In theory, yes, but in practice, probably not. This is where Mohan and I probably differ. Yes, the most important thing is how you sound and blend with the section. But that's going to be tough on a Monke. Huge strides have been made in rotary trumpets, like Weimann, Schagerl etc., which makes Monke's pretty obsolete. The newer makers play so well, that transitioning is easier. Can you do that on a Monke? Probably...but the amount of time and effort for you to do it may not be worth it. And it's just factual that it's going to be tougher to produce the same sound (not just tone quality, I'm including articulations, intonation, etc.) as on a Weimann or Schagerl. So it's going to be tougher to just plop in a section and do that. That being said, if you win a job in a full time orchestra that uses those instruments, chances are the orchestra will own a set that you can use from. We have a guy who is a GREAT player that subs with us often...he's brought his Monke in, and it just did not work. The instrument, quite frankly, was holding him back. So, as I said...in theory, yes, but in practice, probably not.

The answer I gave was based on my experiences of more than fifteen years ago playing in the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, so I think "Gottfried"'s opinion should be considered more relevant than mine. I was not aware of the significant advances in Rotary Trumpets so perhaps my opinion on this is past its sale date.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has owned and played Monke trumpets professionally for many years now, I'll have a stab at answering some of your questions.
I was lucky enough back in 1997 to spend a fair bit of time with Reinhold Friedrich and Norbert Haas in Frankfurt. At that time they and the others in the Frankfurt Radio Section were playing Monke almost exclusively. If you listen to say, the Mahler Symphony recordings with Eliahu Inbal and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony (Hessiche Rundfunk) the trumpets were Monke.
My goal was to absorb as much as I could about playing these instruments properly by working with my German colleagues.
The "sock in the bell" factor that you mention- to me the first thing you have to realise is that these horns do not blow with the same degree of openness and feedback as say, a good Bach. You have to play them differently---like a Monke! For a start, they are a smaller bore---even the "large bore" Monke is a smaller valve bore. Most of the ones I encountered had interchangeable leadpipes and it was a matter of finding which one worked with your mouthpiece. Most of these guys at the time played Bruno Tilz 1 1/4E mouthpieces with a PB backbore which was slightly larger than the standard backbore. Reinhold played a 1 1/4 EB which had a larger ID and a slightly less broad rim. Wolfgang Bauer at the time played a 1 1/4 E with a DB backbore which was larger still. So these mouthpieces were all much larger with a different shank taper than a standard American Bach mouthpiece. This in itself tends to offset the resistance of the Monke trumpet.
At this time, the other popular "German" trumpet was made in Austria, the Lechner. The Lechner was generally more approachable response-wise to someone who played piston trumpets. It was less heavy a response compared to the Monke.
The biggest challenge back in those days as far a Monke was concerned was to find a good one--one with good intonation and even throughout the range. I was very lucky in that I had a choice of six or seven at the factory in Cologne, and could try them with my own Tilz piece at the time.
Regarding the Yamaha copy, I have played both my Monke and Yamaha copies in the orchestra, and at least at that time, the sound of the Yamaha didn't really come close to having the same character, despite the fact that the valves were terrific.
Funny, regarding mouthpieces these days, it's mainly the throat/backbore configuration that maybe wants to be a bit different to what one would play on a piston instrument. Plenty of German players I know happily play Bach, Stork, and Schilke on their German trumpets. My Frost MVD/23/10 piece works beautifullly on both my Monke instruments, as do pieces from Josef Klier, Breslmair, Parke and Toshi.
I do agree with Gottfried Reiche on the matter of blend within a section and the Monke trumpets. They work very well as a set, and better on some repertoire than others. In Sydney we also had a set of Schagerls which we preferred for certain pieces. Sound, articulation, and response did not mix very well between the two. They could sound a bit "dull" beside some of the other trumpets available today--such as Weimann, Galileo, Schagerl, etc.
I will say however, that having sat beside Reinhold playing his Bb and at the time, Hannes Laubin playing his, the sound on a Monke Bb was unforgettable.
As orchestras throughout the world steadily become more 'homogenous"--ie sounding very similar--the unique sound and response character of the classic Josef Monke trumpet might not be as accepted in a lot of places as they once were. Even in Frankfurt now, they play as much on Schagerl as on Monke.
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: