• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best method books for the comeback player: beyond clarke...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started trying again after about 17 years. I am 67 and had sold my horns after divorce and have had the urge to play many times but didn't follow through. A friend sent me an old King cornet which I pulled out and cleaned up over the weekend.
You want to talk about going back to the beginning? For now it is building a solid position on the mouth piece and playing C scale and a few chromatics. I will go and buy Arban, Colin's lif flexes, Schlossberg as soon as I get where I can play about 3-4 minutes on basic scales, etc. It is definitely worth it. Like learning something again. I missed too many years working odd shifts where I could never be in any group. Going to enjoy retirement some.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I just started trying again after about 17 years. I am 67 and had sold my horns after divorce and have had the urge to play many times but didn't follow through. A friend sent me an old King cornet which I pulled out and cleaned up over the weekend.
You want to talk about going back to the beginning? For now it is building a solid position on the mouth piece and playing C scale and a few chromatics. I will go and buy Arban, Colin's lif flexes, Schlossberg as soon as I get where I can play about 3-4 minutes on basic scales, etc. It is definitely worth it. Like learning something again. I missed too many years working odd shifts where I could never be in any group. Going to enjoy retirement some.

I would recommend the Mitchell Series of Trumpet Books, back in print with a CD after a long period of not being in print. If you can make it through book four of these books (starting with book one), you will become a truly excellent player. Scales, slurs, studies and songs are just part of the excellent fare here of these books.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who mentioned The Arban Manual. Here is the link; https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/
Most of my books work well for the reentry player as they have progressive lesson plans mapped out for you.

Good luck!!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmund Hering:

The Beginning Trumpeter
The Advancing Trumpeter
The Progressing Trumpeter
The Acheiving Trumpeter
Fifty Recreational Studies
Forty Progressive Etudes
Thirty-two Etudes
Thirty-eight Recreational Studies
Thirty Etudes
28 Melodious & Technical Etudes
Etudes in All the Major and Minor Keys
24 Advanced Etudes
15 Characteristic Etudes
23 Orchestral Etudes for the Advanced Trumpeter
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Miller wrote:
Bill Knevitt Crash Course does the job for me. Pecking around at various others (flexibility studies, long tone specific books etc) didn't work for me as I hadn't the awareness, when first coming back, what were my weaknesses. Knevitt CC gives me structured weekly lessons based around Gordon's teachings. Includes an Arban and a Hering etude each week. I spend at least a couple of weeks on each lesson. From this structure I'm able to spot my weak areas and through research here at TH able to find other exercises / methods to target those and I slot them into my practise routine. I live rural so don't have access to any good teachers. You may be lucky and have that option. Knevitt CC is available at qPress now I think.

Bill Knevitt's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice"

"For some of the advance players these first lessons may seem a bit on the easy side. The reason for this is that I would rather be a little bit behind the advance player than way ahead of the intermediate players." William B. Knevitt

"In the early 1990’s, Bill offered an intensive, one-on-one, multi-day series of lessons for those players who were really serious about kick-starting their endurance, range and overall skills. Demand was so high, and student success was so great, that he eventually developed these lessons into a 200-page book containing a year’s worth of lessons, 52 in all, with a full-length audio recording to accompany each one. I am proud to offer the entire package. A player can benefit from the book only, as each lesson is self-contained and self-explanatory."
Bob Latorre
https://qpress.ca/product/ultra-trumpet-crash-course-home-study-knevitt-pdf/

You will need the audios / mp3 downloads, to get the full benefit from the routines. And you'll need Bill's https://qpress.ca/product/truth-play-double-high-c-trumpet/

Bill Knevitt’s Crash Course Recordings

"Bill dedicated an enormous amount of time and effort to recording an audio lesson to accompany each one of the 52 lessons in the Crash Course book. You can not only listen to Bill’s instruction, tips and stories, but play along with him as well. It’s like having Bill sitting next to you, teaching, guiding, and motivating as you practice! Again, Bill made these recordings using the only home equipment available at the time, so the sound quality is only so-so. But digital enhancement, along with my light editing for clarity and brevity, makes them quite easy to listen and enjoy today."
Bob Latorre Please email me at bob_latorre@hotmail.com for more details.
( https://www.latorremusic.com/ )

Claude Gordon said publicly concerning Bill, "In all my years of teaching, I have never had a student who understands how to teach trumpet as does Bill Knevitt."

About the Clarke books.

" I recommend buying the David Hickman compilation of all four of Herbert L. Clarke's music books as Clarke's original prose is maintained in them. Available at the bottom of the following webpage as a physical book or a PDF download:"
http://www.hickmanmusiceditions.com/select2.asp?page=6&selection=36
John Mohan

terpfan0512
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Books for Comeback Players Reply with quote

Mark Hendricks has published some fine books for comeback and developing players. They can be found on his website: www.mphmusic.com.

Regards,
Scott
strangedejavu506

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making this post. I too am just getting started again after all these years. This has already helped steer me into a direction for starting up. The whole process is very overwhelming!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent supplementary book on lip flexibility that can be used along with any other method is called Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little. It is very inexpensive and can be found at amazon.com and probably other places, too.

It is only 16 pages long and only goes up to high C (2 lines above the staff), and then not till the last couple pages.

I used this book when I first began taking lessons long ago. I still use it today and have most of it memorized. The exercises it contains are easy and are also effective as warm up material even for a more advanced player. Thus, it is useful for both beginners and advanced players alike.

I highly recommend this book for daily use with any general method book. Very useful and effective.
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend "Embouchure builder". As a beginner (now approaching 2 years of practice) i made the mistake of buying too many books. Now I only use that book for the first 10-15 minutes every day for my daily routine of long tones and lipslurs, then move to my routine of jazz exercises. Since then I have not stopped my progress .
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
You might find Lowell Little's The Embouchure Builder . . . helpful for flexibilities.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arbans

Irons

Essential Elements 2000

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Embouchure Builder - Used it when first start comeback

Other books I have found useful that were not mentioned.

Ernest William Complete Modern Method.
Know Your Trumpet by Lowell Little
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best method books for the comeback player: beyond clarke Reply with quote

TrumpetReverb wrote:
What do you all recommend?

Never stopped but a chops meltdown made me start all over again and on that trip (still rolling) I found the BE. It has done wonders for my aging lips (75 in a few months) as nothing else I´ve tested. My new endurance keeps astonishing me! The Roll Ins, producing tones without the help of the tongue
are strengthening!
Concerning technique I side with the other posts here.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
TrumpetJim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: comeback player Reply with quote

try my book fundamental studies for trumpet players $20.00 jim davis 330 867 2790
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the thread is old, but I just finished the Clarke Elementary and wanted to mention that I think it is way too difficult for a beginner (I am comeback player but the embouchure is new after 15 years in my opinion).

I appreciate the method but the learning curve is extremely steep. After about 20 pages if you want to keep the prescribed tempo, combined with the G's above the stuff, you will likely be very frustrated. It took me 4 months with my teacher to through it, and when I open the book randomly somewhere in the middle, the exercises are still challenging provided I want to get it right 100% (which is what the author wants).

It's a good book in a sense, but pedagogically not great.

The Herring etudes are great, also the music is catchy, which helps your ears a lot.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread as I didn't see the John Daniels book mentioned. I've had a few comebacks and have used a lot of different methods. The John Daniels book has been the best one for me. It has lessons in the back of the book. It covers a lot in each lesson and most important is that I don't over do it if I stick to the lesson plan. Plus he has videos on Utube about some of the lessons. It's a great book. I use it in my AM practice then at night I practice scales, work out of the Coker book and transcribe Chet Baker.
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little known but excellent book for the comeback or developing player is Lip Builder by Marty Shiner. It is available on QPress. Like the Lowell Little book it is very sequential and completely sensible. I have used it with great success with many older players to help them establish better fundamentals than they typically did decades before.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "comeback player" might also want to go back to the basics and start back slowly... Getchell's book is a good place to start. Very simple, very basic, and gradually gets into time signatures and key signatures and scales.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: