• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Companies that sell used "reconditioned" instrumen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Companies that sell used "reconditioned" instrumen Reply with quote

Hi Y'all,

I have a chance to present a tiered 5 year plan for buying instruments to my superintendent for building a middle-high school band program. Does anyone know of companies that rebuild brass and percussion for school sales?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the wisdom of this.

A decent secondhand instrument might cost 50 dollars and a refurb might cost 300 dollars. Thats 350 dollars for a low end instrument refurbed to as new condition.

For 145 dollars you can buy an Elkhart TR100 thats a low end instrument in as new condition.

If you want a high grade instrument you might buy a secondhand strad or a conn or a buescher at 600 dollars and have it refurbed for 500 dollars to as new condition. I expect to pay a little extra for a pro level refurb. Thats 1100 dollars for a top quality instrument.

You can buy a B&S Challenger brand new thats a strad killer sufficient for anything any student wants or needs for 1045 dollars.

I am not seeing the advantage in refurbing old gear at these prices.

I wish you luck in your endeavour however.
pcctpt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Taylor Music Co. in Aberdeen, South Dakota. They have a website, provide monthly print catalogs, and are great to work with via a phone call.
They have both new and reconditioned instruments. Most are name brand instruments [Selmer, Conn, Bach, King, etc.] that are more than adequate for a beginning/middle school band program.
Further, if you have some 'junk' instruments that are not needed or don't work, they'll likely accept those as trades to offset the price of instruments you can use.

Schilke B7, B7L
Bach Strad C [Louisville lead pipe]
Schilke P54 Piccolo [Louisville A Pipe]
Schilke A2 Cornet
Schilke E3L & E3L-4
Schilke G1L4GP
Schilke Flugelhorn
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Benge 5X
Bach Strad Bb ML 37/Melk MTV525 [1972]
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I question the wisdom of this.

A decent secondhand instrument might cost 50 dollars and a refurb might cost 300 dollars. Thats 350 dollars for a low end instrument refurbed to as new condition.

For 145 dollars you can buy an Elkhart TR100 thats a low end instrument in as new condition.

If you want a high grade instrument you might buy a secondhand strad or a conn or a buescher at 600 dollars and have it refurbed for 500 dollars to as new condition. I expect to pay a little extra for a pro level refurb. Thats 1100 dollars for a top quality instrument.

You can buy a B&S Challenger brand new thats a strad killer sufficient for anything any student wants or needs for 1045 dollars.

I am not seeing the advantage in refurbing old gear at these prices.

I wish you luck in your endeavour however.

So where do you live? Because your quoted prices for used strad and new challenger are not accurate for the US
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: