• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alejandrolopezs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: 84 Reply with quote

Last edited by alejandrolopezs on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:16 am; edited 3 times in total
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For darker, try a smaller bore (~25, maybe 26) and use a 24bb. You're prob not jiving with 23th AND a big backbore; it's probably too much volume past the cup for you.

In general, big throat/bb combos help to balance the higher resistance of deeper cups. The Bach 1 1/4c isn't really deep, so unless you're balancing a very open horn, I imagine the 23/24 is just too low of resistance, hence your

alejandrolopezs wrote:

In the past, I have tried the 24 backbore but in general I did not like the sound and feel that much.

And be aware of the importance of throat shape.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
In general, big throat/bb combos help to balance the higher resistance of deeper cups.

Are you claiming you think that deeper cups create more resistance than shallower cups? I've never heard anyone say or write that before.

I have read that orchestral players tend to favor deeper cups with bigger throats and backbores in order to balance the higher resistance of C trumpets (compared to the more open Bb trumpets).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been avoiding this because I am not sure whats going on.

I see a 7c to 3c as conventional pieces, and if you want warm and dark go to a 1 1/4c but you are already using a 1 1/4c so why is it not warm and dark enough already.

Warmer and darker = bigger deeper or heavier pieces

Go bigger, try a yamaha 16e4 or a megatone or a wick.

But I have to ask why the piece you have now aint working, you are up against the limit mouthpiece wise and there aint much further to go to get warmer darker and richer.

I would consult a teacher to discuss your playing habits and needs before spending money chasing tones that your playing style is not delivering on a 1 1/4c. You may need a rethink.
dfgordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I general, you don't often see very large throats with the standard 10 backbore because this combination results in a very long straight section in the throat. This can upset the balance of the way the mouthpiece works as a system, affecting intonation at the register extremes, as well as giving a different feel. As suggested above, you might try a 24 backbore with a 25 of 24 throat. You might also look at a 7 or possibly even a 3 backbore (also with a 25 or 24 throat), both of which offer a darker sound and broader sound spread than the standard 10 backbore.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trombahonker wrote:
In general, big throat/bb combos help to balance the higher resistance of deeper cups.

Are you claiming you think that deeper cups create more resistance than shallower cups? I've never heard anyone say or write that before.

I have read that orchestral players tend to favor deeper cups with bigger throats and backbores in order to balance the higher resistance of C trumpets (compared to the more open Bb trumpets).

Best wishes,

John Mohan

I think there is some higher resistance felt with deeper cups, but I think it's likely generated by the player. Deeper cups, at least in my experience, can provide less chop support requiring more effort, which can give a feeling of increased resistance, especially up top.

And I'm not sure C trumpets are inherently more resistant. I think the mouthpiece has to be an acoustical match to the instrument. The vast majority of mouthpieces I have played don't work well for me on C trumpet, but the same cup matched to a different backbore works much better (and in some cases has been practically magic).

Even Charlier advised not to use the same mouthpiece on multiple keys of instrument. From the 1979 ITG Journal supplement (a translation of the text of Charlier's 36 Etudes):

"To use the same mouthpiece to play all the instruments (flugel horn, cornet, trumpets in F or C) with a mouthpiece for trumpet in B-flat, for example, is a great error. The result is that the basic harmonic resonance is thrown out of equilibrium because of the irregularities caused by disproportionate tubing."

If Charlier is correct, then I would say the problem is more of mouthpiece-instrument mismatch than greater inherent resistance.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: