• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 1c E over DBL C warm up #4

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Bach 1c E over DBL C warm up #4 Reply with quote

🎺

Last edited by Shaft on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you.

Why should I care?
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cared enough to post.

I didn't watch the video, but I know lots of people that like to listen to virtuosity... for inspiration... in awe ... whatever

sheesh
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for every double C that's posted the player should also post a Charlier etude.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, just maybe if you concentrated on making a sound with some CORE in the middle and low registers that might be more worthwhile use of your effort and time.
As far as the extreme high register on the 1C?
Mate, I've got a tea kettle that can do that all day, with the same amount of musical intent.

Sorry to be so negative, but if you're going to post a video on this site, make it mean something.
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/

Last edited by Dan in Sydney on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone chill.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously have a passion for the instrument, that's great. All of us on this site do to some degree. This post is pretty self serving and doesn't really sound like a trumpet however. That's not an insult, just reboot yourself and get off the macho stuff. Maybe we all get carried away now and then but this is just silly and I'm sure deep down you know that. Keep playing and enjoy the horn. Quit the ridiculous stuff and work on getting a great sound and play music. Your welcome.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with what's already been said.

It maybe theres a sense of pride in that not too many players can even get up there in the first place... But the tone quality being so thin doesn't really make it come across particularly impressive - sure, it's cool to be able to play them at all, but if the tone isn't suitable for performing those notes then it's kinda academic.

Without wanting to be too much of a negative downer on you all in one post, I've noticed (consistently) with these vids that you post that it's often very squirrelly on the way down, and critically in the money register - if you're struggling to slot the notes properly on the way down it's worth thinking about why that's the case... If you'd normally be pretty safe playing there, maybe it's worth considering whether what you're doing to get into doubles is actually how you normally play to begin with.

Anyway, the enthusiasm you have is great - whatever else, keep enjoying your playing
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ps.. is your first valve cap missing??
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

🎺

delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not jealous at all. I's easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8UpvvNiJI
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Keep it coming. It helps us grow. I like the idea of submitting Charlier videos. I was actually thinking about those a while back since they havent been on my stand in some years.

1- as a Bach Lecturer Dan may already realize that the 1c has a stock 27 throat.

No mention of that was made. A different side of you could have been shown to the world as a certified Bach clinician and LECTURER. Your post was your own form of advertising whether you realize it or not mate.

2- I mentioned I had been warmed up for all of 6 minutes. Which proves the point that Dan and others made which is "what is the point? / post something that has meaning"

The meaning and point is that other players can see that you DONT NEED to be doing a long arduous routine to "PUMP UP" for high notes.

3- the other lesson is that a cell phone does not fully encapsulate things the way we hear them live.

Which is why cruise lines as far back as 2006 and maybe prior would say to the auditioner that you need to use a land line. A cell ohone. Will NOT do you any favors.

4- the most obvious one of all.

There are no easier ways to pull out the comments seen here than to evoke something out of players that elicits their own jealousy, pride, and envy.

5- perhaps some of you did not know.

My top lip has been injured, much of the middle of the top lip was cut VERY BADLY, and has been healing. Some trumpeters do know, do care, and have asked me to show my progress on here in Prvate message and otherwise.

Whih is a big reason that I subvert an ego that would say don't put anything obline unless it is flawless.

It is something all of you were not aware of and I do not mind.

The horn had the third valve threads cave in when the horn had hit something in a soft gig bag on a long drop doen over a fence in Marching band in '05. I don't know how you wanted to word it but that was not lost on me as I have chosen not spend the money for 12 years to have all of the work involved done to it thay Flip Oakes said it would need.

Any of these items here are learning tools for myself and the people who read and learn from witnessing our conversation.

Of course I am posting and it is a form of "serving myself" as is any upload of someone's olaying on the web. So what. There is nothing wrong with showing what you are doing to people.

Thank you for sharing your initial thoughts and as I heal some more and make changes in my equipment and get more fine tuned with my physical
Approach on the horn you will see some changes in the quality and perhaps come watch a show and see how things sound live with your own ears.

I am always open for critique and that is very much a "self serving" angle of why I post on here.

Hey, I just got free advice from a symphony player in Australia and learned about another Bach clinician In the world.

Cheers and keep the advice/ comments coming.

Does that tea kettle ever work your mouthpiece grip? For real though. You have a lot to offer if you are a clinician.

I dont know why my post evoked something that doest show your finest attributes as a lecturer.

Eugene C. Rountree III

Just saw this, and it answers my question on another one of your posts.

If this is all true, then you might post some of this to provide some better context to the rest of us before you post your videos. Just a thought.

Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

🎺

ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised your post garnered criticism Eugene. I think the TH is the perfect place for us to post all kinds of clips. If I'm not interested in what is being posted, I just don't listen to it. If I don't care for it, I don't comment about it.

It's just that I think if posters who post clips are criticized, then it will discourage others from posting their clips. IMO, the TH is great place for all of us to post clips of all types of playing in an informal way which can inspire discussion and learning about our craft. I mean I come to the TH to talk and learn about trumpet..and, sometimes, to buy and sell! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as the extreme high register on the 1C?
Mate, I've got a tea kettle that can do that all day, with the same amount of musical intent.

I enjoy good writing. To me, that is pretty good writing. It is a wonderful description of how I sound. Yep. This morning I did some range exercises. I hit a DHC and it sounded exactly like a tea kettle.

Do do I play a DHC or hit it? Hit it.

Does it sound musical? Does a tea kettle sound musical?

Do I have any use for my DHC in a musical performance? Nope.

But, I'm very proud of it.

Why? Because it is progress.

Before starting on Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice, I couldn't do anything like that. Before I discovered SATDP, I thought that high note players were a freak of nature, that they were born with extraordinary lips. Then I read some things that Claude wrote. Specifically, he said that playing in the extreme high register was something that anyone could do if they just learned the technique, practiced the right stuff the right way and were willing to work hard. Okay, I didn't really believe him at first, but I figured that I was retired, had some time on my hands and had nothing to lose. Well, now, on occasion, I can hit a DHC. So, I now believe that Claude was correct and that if I continue on doing as he instructed, my pathetic little squeak will eventually grow into something musical.

I admit it. I have a silly little fantasy that if I work hard enough, one day I will sound as good as Trent Austin - and that is pretty darn good.

Anyway, hats off to my fellow proud squeakers out there.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although I did not offer criticism, I can easily see why others chose to do that:

when we post a video of ourselves playing trumpet on a trumpet website, of COURSE we will get criticism. There are critics everywhere, and I assume he posted for comments.

So... some of the comments aren't so nice. However, even in their critique, they offer some advice.

I have some recordings that I have done that I am proud of, but listening under my own microscope, they are not perfect. Every time I listen as a matter of fact, I hear another thing I'm not overjoyed with. Such is the nature of a recording, and my own self-criticism.

shaft... keep blowin' and sharing
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

🎺

Last edited by Shaft on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been posted several time previously. It should be a sticky

This is how the rest of the world sees the high note obsession of trumpet players. Helps to put in in perspective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UxdCqOWVcA
[youtube]UxdCqOWVcA[/youtube]
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great clip, indeed a sticky!
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

🎺

Last edited by Shaft on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: